Bibs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

open_the_windows.jpg

works for me ........ :smoke:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

What's a realistic minimum memory to prevent turning your machine into a glacier?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Well it's Microsoft. What do you expect? :)

Fixed the link in the first post. Can't work out where the other two are supposed to send you so over to Bibs.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The link problems might not be Bibs' fault :)

The microsoft site has been totally flooded all day, so that probably has something to do with the link issues.

I installed it today and it's running great on my laptop, although I do have 2 GB of RAM. I'm not sure how it will work on other systems.

I've heard that the re-release of "Win 95" is only weeks away. Retro is the way forward boys! Break out the floppies! <_<

I installed it last night... the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Strangely enough it won't recognize my networking device (built into my Asus P5KC motherboard, on an Intel 965 chipset).

Windows 7 loaded drivers for everything else except the network. So I have no way to even have it look for drivers or register windows... You can't do anything without a network card or access to the internet these days.

I booted back into windows XP, and can't get any drivers that work. All the Asus drivers for Vista 64 bit won't install because they check which operating system you have.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Strangely enough it won't recognize my networking device (built into my Asus P5KC motherboard, on an Intel 965 chipset).

Windows 7 loaded drivers for everything else except the network.

.. that's the way MicroSoft handles virus/spyware intrusions : they just disable networking devices <_<

I know, I'm biased, I'm a Mac user :D

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Just got it working, posting this from IE8 in Windows 7.

Found a version of my networking driver that was for Vista 64 and works. Now I can do windows update online and get the other drivers they forgot.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Well, after a two days in the real world (my classes :)),

The Good: Boots faster than XP and Vista

All my programs work!

I really like the new taskbar setup.

The Bad: I can't find workable drivers for my Bluetooth mouse. (Not too big a deal)

Programs sometimes take a while to close or Windows thinks they have frozen. (They close eventually though)

The Ugly: My trackpad driver randomly will not load on startup. I have to tab my way around the UI and find restart. After a restart it seems to load properly.

Some setup applications or graphics-intensive programs will randomly cause the graphics driver to unload itself. After this happens, I get a little 800x600 window to reload the driver. After that everything works fine.

The Bottom Line: Most of the issues I have experienced have been driver-related, so unfortunately your mileage may vary. Fortunately though, most (if not all) driver issues will be resolved before the final release. I think Microsoft is really onto something here, and if you have a non-essential system to play around with, go for it! However, if you have lots of sensitive data, odd hardware combinations, or irreplaceable programs, I would wait for the final release comes out.

Windows 7 64 bit refuses to shut down for me now. it either just sits there, or if it does shut down, the screen goes blank but the computer is still powered on... as in everything, fans, and discs, are still running.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

"Beta" is short for "here there be dragons!" Run away! Run away! :)

No wonder old Bill is so rich.

He must save a fortune by not doing enough testing and evaluation of MS products.

Then gets the customers to do all the functional and interoperability testing - genious

He must have taken management courses at TVR :)

Are you installing from a CD? and can you get into the BIOS on the netbook?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I'm installing from an external HDD as the netbook doesn't have a CD/DVD. I've googled and it's a problem that the installer can't update the Master Boot Record so I'm trying to work around that!

ETA And the solution...

http://mbrwizard.com/

:)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.