Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
looks like the exhaust manifold is starting to crack - Page 3 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

looks like the exhaust manifold is starting to crack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Peter,

We have communicated with you via email on a number of times and have requested you return the manifold in question to us. Until we have it inspected and confirm that it is one of our manifolds and not a Lotus original which we also had in stock at that, we are unable take this matter any further.

This is the first one that we know of which appears to have a fault. Please telephone us when the manifold has been removed and we can discuss this matter person to person. We value our reputation which we have worked long and hard to achieve and aim to provide the best service we can to our customers. This manifold appears to have been supplied some 4 years ago when we also had stock of the Lotus original manifolds as well as the upgraded one that we have produced for our company.

Regards

Phil Webb

South West Lotus Centre Ltd

Independant Lotus Specalist & Authorised NOBLE Service agent.

hello every one, well got the manifold off ,in all between 12 and 14hours work, managed to split the manifold and the turbo in the car. as you can see from the attached pic the split and its split in more than one place. i will email this to southwest lotus (although they still have not replied to the one i sent them a month ago) and see if they agree that this is a casting fault as this is one of their uprated manifolds that has failed after about 20,000 miles.

it was a bugger to get off, i used a dermmel with a flexi head and a lot of cutting discs and took my time as some of the nuts were rounded so i would grind into them, making sure that i did not damage the studs when i refit the turbo i will be using bolts and nuts instead of studs

It's Oogies turn to boogie

thanks for merging this thread, just read the southwest lotus post, bit strange seeing that two emails ago i gave them the invoice number the date customer ref etc. still i wont get into that as thats not what the forum is for. i will wait to see if they email me back

all the best

Peter,

Before thinking about replacing the studs for bolts consider the ARP stainless studs. They have a reduced nut size making it easier to the job you are doing. Super high tensile strength as well.

Cheers,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

thanks for the picture simon.exactly the same manifold as mine. Jeff thanks for the tip on the studs,the company i work for have a tool room they will have everything ready for me on Monday. oh as a small tip, its worth takinig the engine tray off as it gives you that bit more room i am also going to do some thing with the access to the manifold nuts to slightly space them out from the manifold so if it needs to come off again socket or spanner access will be easier.

all the best

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just when you think you've got the car sorted something else comes along out of the blue. After getting my car back on the road after major work on the front end, I got the clutch replaced and the car has been running beautifully, for about two weeks. I came to start it one morning a week ago and it sounded like an old tractor. A quick inspection underneath revealed the joint between the de-cat and exhaust back box was blowing but the sound appeared to be coming from much further back. Having resealed the de-cat/exhaust joint the sound is still coming from the exhaust manifold area. Running my hand around quickly the area on first ignition I cannot feel or see and blowing or cracks but it is very well sheilded around the area. What is strange is that after a few minutes of driving the sound completely goes away as if the heat expansion on the manifold has sealed up the hole.

What do you think the chances are of the manifold being ok and the gap actually being open between the joint of engine block and the manifold?

Or am I dreaming and I should face the likely prospect that my manifold has also finally cracked ?

I'll record some video/Audio footage tonight and post it up.

My crack is about 25mm (to much detail) long but only about 2 thou wide the best way to view it is to shine a light along the manifold this will accentuate the crack and make it more visable to the eye. Air blasts out of it fairly quick so u should be able to feel it easily.

Location, usually between 2 and 3 pots on the lowerest pat of the exhaust, near the pattern number.

That's mine and its time to replace. Now your question might be - replace with original or Stainless steel, much said on this site about that.

Dave

Reading these threads with interest but as the owner of my first Esprit (1988 carb turbo) how do you know if the manifold is suspect. The last owner put on an SS sports exhaust and the noise is fantastic completed with backfiring when you take your foot off the accelerator at speed. I am doing lots of work on the car but would rather like to know if the noise is down to the new exhaust system or a cracked manifold. And, if it is cracked what are consequences of not replacing it. A visual inspection does not suggest it is cracked but its difficult to get a good look. I would rather like to keep the noise it is making but not if something might go in a big way.

Thanks Colin. I was beginning to think maybe it was the manifold - a bit like diagnosing swine flu. However, with so much interest being expressed I must take time to have a good look this weekend. Hopefully I will be super impressed with a product that costs in excess of

Im running the SJ Super sports and the exhaust note is (er, was) excellent. However, like any hole in the exhaust or manifold it sounds very different and un-refined - like a horrible blowing noise rather than a nice exhaust note. It is very evident, so I think you can be fairly sure that you dont have a problem. Im not sure there is anyway to tell you have a problem with the manifold until it actually goes and has a hole in it.

I'll post up some video/audio tonight.