Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil cooler trouble - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil cooler trouble

iang

Help..................!

Just got my S4 out of the garage, found a big puddle of oil under the left hand front wheel.

Taken a look, and I think my oil cooler is shot.

Called in at Paul Matty's garage.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same with my S4

PNM supplied and fitted new for not even close to that figure.

They also did the dreaded manifold at the same time and the bill for the lot, including parts was less than

I fitted an SJ replacement on mine when it started leaking. The replacement cooler was identical to the origonal. Problem is getting the couplings off the old cooler. They tend to corode them selves on the the cooler and I could just not get them off. In the end I got replacement couplings made up, cut the hose itself, extended the hose to the new couplings. Job done, for about

I had to replace an oil cooler about a year ago, and like most cars the bottom connection was totally corroded. I decided to cut the through the oil cooler just above the connection and then very carefully, using a dremel, cut out as much of the aluminium as I could then I re tapped it.

I remember recently reading on the forum someone used acid to dissolve the aluminium which worked very well for them.

Again I brought one of SJ's coolers @

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Hello,

I dissolved a piece of aluminium 2 days ago in one of the couplings with a Sodium Hydroxide solution (NaOH). This only eats the aluminium and not the steel coupling or hose. Do not use acid, this will also "eat " the coupling.

Freek.

Esprit Freak

Thanks to all for the information.

I have just placed the order for a new oil cooler from SJ's.

Now I have to start getting the old one off..............

I can say I am NOT looking forward to this one...............!

See you some time in 2014

Once again, thanks.

Daniel - I now own your old S4. I take it you were aware that the right-hand cooler was removed and not replaced?! I am currently a uni-cooler.

From what I recall, the problem presented itself the day I collected the car from storage to take it to PNM for the new manifold.

There was an oil leak to one side, and obviously PNM diagnosed it as a leaking cooler/hose connector.

I remember discussing the replacement of both units, and I thought that's what had happened..............BUT

I do remember Richard (the guy who had the car off me as a trade in for my 350) telling me it only had one cooler, but I gave the issue little credibility as....well, frankly I'm of the opinion that he's an imbecile.

So......doubtless it has one cooler.......how it ended up with one cooler, I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I'm having the same problem with my right hand cooler :thumbup:

The lower coupling sheared in the rubber hose....

I like the idea of disolving the aluminium rather than dremmeling and retapping due to swarf ingress etc.

So, how concentrated a solution do I use?

Freek, could you or someone else tell me how much water to how much weight of sodium hydroxide to use?

I'm still struggling to get the upper locking nut from the cooler. Looks like i'm going to have to grind through the nut, unless someone has another idea for me to try.....

Thanks guys

Glyn

Edited by glynherron

Hi Glyn,

I don't know what concentration I used. I just filled a glass jar with hot water and let the affected coupling hanging in the water. Make sure the thing is oil/grease free otherwise it is not going to work or very slow. Once the coupling is in the jar with the water i just put some (a fair amount) of the NaOH beads in afterwards I just stirred (not shaken) until everything of the NaOH is dissolved. You can tell that the NAOH solution is working when you see the forming of very small bubbles. Maybe you have to renew the solution a couple of times. It can take some time.

I did it on an evening but when everything was in place I had to work and I just left it and thought well I have a look when I come back which I forgot, I chekced everything aprox 24 hrs later and voila the aluminium was gone.

DO USE GLOVES AND A EYEPROTECTION JUST IN CASE.

Let me know how it goes.

As for the upper nut (do you mean the 28 mm thin nut) I ended up of cutting it through with my trusted dremel with the flex shaft.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Freek, thanks for the info

Yes the 28mm thin nut!!

Will get hold of some sodium hydroxide and see how it goes. Just hope I dont add too much and shatter the glass with the heat produced. Can I use a tin, or will it react with the solution??

Oil coolers out of stock at SJ :P but I guess I'll just connect the pipes until they are available :)

Thanks again

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

use a glass jar, a tin is probably galvanized and will be eaten by the NaOH solution. Glass is heatresistant and the solution will not boil (I didn't experience it).

Freek

Esprit Freak

**** Update ****

Well the sodium hydroxide worked a treat ;)

While the oil cooler is on order (5 weeks delivery from SJ) does any one know the thread size so I can buy a male/male union to connect the flexible pipes together (for now)?

Thanks

Glyn