Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Elite Buying Advice - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Elite Buying Advice

All,

I am going to look at an Elite (70's 80's) tomorrow and would appreciate some advice as to what to look for? I assume the chassis is going to be the biggest issue rust wise but where abouts? Any thing else I need to pay special attention to?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Starting a collection Trevor? :)

I assume you will have already found this forum?Clicky

Remember..beer and ebay are dangerous :) , I've a driveway full of Loti to prove it!

Cheers,

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

If you could confirm whether it was 70s or 80s that would be a good start as to what to watch out for. 70s = S1, watch out for everything especially chassis rot (where you can't easily see), poor gearbox etc. 80s = S2 and a generally a lot better made, although a galvanised chassis alone won't stop it being a money pit.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Htiek,

Yes just had a good look around that site and it tells me to look for rust between the two rear springs so that's a starting point.

A collection would be nice if space would allow :) .

Loose cannon,

I don't know much about this car as yet other than it is an Elite and on my cousins drive and she wants it gone. Automatic car and not sure if this is a downside or not? Were the S2 galvanised chassis then? Also did they go to 2.2 at that point?

Matk,

Yes i understand they are very prone to vacuum leaks and failsafe to up.

Trevor.

S2.2 was galvanised, but there is a small chance an S1 has had a replacement (less so than on an Esprit though as they have always been more coveted).

I don't think there are many downsides to the box, other than I did read it was a Borg Warner 35 which is quite old and like anything else just that little harder to find parts for. Mind you it was used in many old cars which now have more of a classic following so perhaps that's improved (article was about 15 years ago.

I have loads of articles and buying guides on the Elite/Eclat which I would be happy to scan for you, unfortunately our scanner is goosed and I'm waiting for a replacement. If you are not in a hurry, or can't make your mind up about the car, we should be up and running by next week.

PS where is the car, I know of an automatic one for sale very close to me, not in brilliant condition though.

Edited by LooseCannon

LooseCannon,

The car I am looking at is near Great Missendon in Bucks. I will take a couple of pics while there and post them up to see if anyone knows the car.

Thanks for the offer of the articles which I may take you up on at a later date.

So if it's a 2.2 it is galvanised?

Trevor.

Yes if its a 2.2 it will be galvanised also it will have the very nice Getrag gearbox rather than the terrible Lotus box but 2.2 Elites are rare ! so I would say it unlikely to be one.

Spyder did a chassis for them and if its got one of those thats as good as a galvanised one

Hope this helps

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

There was a very good article written in Practical Classics magazine in June 2006, by Pat Thomas of Kelvedon Lotus. It featured a yellow S1 Elite. He said to be very cautious about buying an S1 Elite and listed 3 pages of problems with the cars. There is a good reason why there are so many basket cases sitting in fields, the cost in running them far far out ways their value. However, if you're prepared to do the maintanance your self, then it might be worth thinking about.

Here is some info on the Elite S1 which might be of help: www.lotus-world.co.uk/elite

8890_1.jpg

Edited by Mark Blanchard

Matt,

Thanks and by the sounds of it, it needs to be a 2.2 to lessen the load.

Mark,

Thanks for the link, some good info there.

Trevor.

I have been casually looking for one for many years now, in that time the amount of S1 cars that were worth buying were in single figures. There was one below that was absolutely mint, and I mean a museum piece, lovely blue exterior, but the seats were trimmed in sharply contrasting brown and cream panels, a black dashboard and placcy wood everywhere :) Still it didn't hang around for long and went for

• Like 1

Mike Taylor (Lotusbits) put a useful guide together covering common problems and how to upgrade away from them,. He presented this at the Stoneleigh show a couple of years back. Its on the Lotusbits web site as a 4M down load. You can down load directly from:-

http://www.lotuseliteparts.bravepages.com/...our%20Lotus.pdf

I recomend you take a good read it is very seful to give you a guide as to what to look for when viewing an Elite.

I had a couple of Elites in the past and will definitely be prepared to pay good money for another in the future. They are great cars, and the shape is becoming more and more of a selling point as time goes on (they just dont style cars like that anymore!).

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Malc

looseCannon,

Nice looking car but please stop posting pics like that and getting me worked up. Bad for my bank account.

Malc,

Had a good read and lots of info in there to work with. not used Lotusbits yet but will give them a go in the future just based on the way that reads.

Trevor.

May have to change the thread title or start a new one before the forum police get here and tell me I am now off topic :welcome: .

Had a look at the car today and of course my cousin who told me about it clearly doesn't know his Elite from his Eclat.

Mixed feelings as it turns out to be an Eclat which i am not in love with but on the other hand it is a late 2.2 with what I assume to be a galvanised chassis. It had been garaged up to 18 months ago and then put outside with a cover but that has long gone. Huge water leak (don't think i have ever seen that much water in a car before) but that is probably easy to cure. Looking round the car gives me the impression it was very tidy before it went into the garage and the interior, whilst somewhat furry, backs up the sub 38k miles on the clock. Some crazing on the front of the car but paint looks original a far as I can tell and no cracks in the screen. Had new rad fans at some point and otter switches. Headlining has dropped as expected and carpet looks good but wet. Some plum has jacked the car up under the rear link in the past this has put a bend in it but easily sorted. In all a neglected but promising car and will buy it anway.

SPARKY WHERE ARE YOU.

103_1842.jpg

103_1839.jpg

More pics for your crytic here.

[http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/T.../Lotus%20Eclat/

Edited by Kimbers
pictures too large. deleted and replaced by IMG link

What a sorry sight. How could they have just left it outside like that :welcome:. One of the later ones being on a Y plate (though the last ones were on A plates). And it's got the later bonnet grill. I wouldn't pay to much for it but it might be worth resurrecting and the springs look good. You'll deep pockets to bring it up to a decent standard.

Edited by Mark Blanchard

Checked the reg number on the DVLA site and I think it was last taxed in 2002. I also think there has been no SORN on the car so does anybody know what the position will be with buying an unlicensed vehicle. As the new keeper will it simply be a matter of declaring SORN and that's it?. Or will there be a problem? Obviously I give them a ring tomorrow but be nice to find out before then.

Trevor.

The new owner isn't liable for the non-declaration, so soon after it's purchased, proceed to the post office with the little slip and the appropriate form and declare SORN, you don't have to pay a fee for the new reg document as it's a sale but if you had lost it you would have to.

Andy

Well, I know you were expecting an Elite, but that looks not a bad car. A very late Eclat, quite a few of that age seemed to be fitted with the Riviera bonnet and boot (using up parts?) .

What a shame it wasn't stored correctly when it was taken off the road - what did happen to it BTW? You say it's on your cousin's drive so there must be a tale. I wouldn't be surprised if the body didn't look quite presentable with a good clean and machine polish. I hope you get it!

Here are some pics of one I really should have bought from Donington 3 years ago. It had been in the same family for years, lovely people who owned it, but the price issue kept getting muddled up with the owners insitance that the registration plate was worth something. Car was

Edited by LooseCannon

• Gold FFM

"SPARKY WHERE ARE YOU?"

I'll be touring the Amazonian rainforests for the rest of the year. You can call me on 07919 9162425059287252431289132943.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Sparky,

Now thats not the spirit. I was more looking for a "brilliant Trev can't wait to get started, I will put my life on hold until you want my skills". :welcome:

LooseCannon,

Great shots of the Eclat and has made my mind up to save the car. Like you I think this car will clean up really well with little expense but plenty of elbow grease (mind you I said that about my T.E.). I know I should just move it on as was my original plan but would be nice to have it as a daily runner.

I had no idea there was an Elite Riviera version, sounds like a the ultimate in Elite's.

Also the thing that struck me about the car was how modern it looked compared with my minds picture on an Eclat, probably the bonnet and wheels that made the difference.

As for the story, a fairly simple one. My cousins boyfriend with whom she lived drove the car into the garage and parked it up, I think because the lights stopped working (are they electric lifters on the later cars?) and never got around to getting them fixed. He just like the look of the car rather than an enthusiast and no mechanical knowledge. They parted company a year ago I guess and he left the car at her house but moved the car out of the garage some time before that, presumably they wanted the space to store other things. Ther it sat until the cover blew off it and this is where we are at now.

As fo the clean up, has anyone got experience of mold removal? I would think the use of a cleaner with an anti bacterial agent would be needed. Any suggestions welcome.

Trevor.

Sparky,

As an after thought, i wouldn't think it wise to go to a rain Forrest unless you fix that leak :) .

Trevor.

How do you stand with ownership? He's not going to come along when it's finished and demand it back is he, or are you dealing with him direct? I hope he prices it sensibly and no "bitterness taxes" are applied!

carpet sets are about

LooseCannon,

No problem with the ownership as he is supplying the registration document and knows all about it as they are still in contact. He approved the sale as opposed to left the car and she is disposing of it..

Trevor.

Alot of that is surface mould and will come off.

I think it will be a cracking car and am all for someone resueing what could be a classic in a few years!

Well done matey

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer