Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant

Couger

Chaps

Just been crawling about in the back of my car.. trying to establish all the hoses and cables are in the right place after my carb swap, and noticed a plastic bottle in the back corner with coolant wrote on it, Id always assummed that the header tank was the place to put in coolant, thing is I cant see how much coolant is in this bottle because of the plastic its made of its sort of a milky colour and I cant see the level even though it clearly has an arrow showing the correct level to be filled to. I was one notch away from 100 degrees on the motorway in a traffic queue the other day been standing about 30 minutes, is this normal? just pulled away before it boiled over.

Any comments as always much app.

Ian :rolleyes:

Im Brian and so is my wife

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't boil over - the fans should kick in and keep the temperature low enough....

Were they running? (You should be able to hear them when they turn on)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Shouldn't boil over - the fans should kick in and keep the temperature low enough....

Were they running? (You should be able to hear them when they turn on)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cant say Ive ever heard any "extra" sounds coming on and off when Ive been driving, I can remember Norman at NTC saying they were having a chew getting the fans to kick in after my new engine went in, he assured me when I picked it up they were working fine :rolleyes:

Im Brian and so is my wife

Mine come on @ 98 deg. you can hear them fire up with the windows down.

Also with mine I've noticed that with the lights on it adds an extra 3 or 4 degrees to the dial, so it actually goes to 103 before the fans come on (dodgy earth somehwere). Bit scary the first time.

The spare bottle is just an overflow for the overflow as far as I know. Sits in the back left corner on my car - behind some carpet.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

The plastic bottle in the back in an expansion bottle. I used to fill it up from the header tank.

Fans used to kick in before 100 degrees. You may want to test it while it's at home. Maybe you need to replace the thermostat.

You do have any antifreeze in there as well?

The rpm will also drop a touch when the fans kick in. I give the engine a few more revs when they are on as it's a belt driven water pump and more water goes round quicker at higher rpm. Not sure if this is a good idea or not but made me feel happy.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Maybe they were working just fine and were precisely what kept it below 100 all that time?

:rolleyes:

Edited by evil_dr_fish

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif