Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Essex Esprit - Page 14 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex Esprit

nello

Have to say that concept picture looks pretty awesome !  sort of defeats the whole essex thing been jps but maybe that is what that other essex car was copying or hell may of even left the factory like that for all we know !   Also showing 5 stud compomotives which may make this an early picture maybe ?   I would of loved to see a jps turbo special car to of left the factory like this, not everyones cup of tea but neither was the Essex colour scheme to most people when it came out.   The JPS design screams 80S I love it :wub:

• Like 1

A

Yes I kind of wondered if there was an initial proposal to launch the Turbo in a JPS colour scheme before David Thieme came along.....................................

I'm sure I ready somewhere that the Panasonic Cockpit Stereo and Sundym glass were all specifications chosen by Thieme himself. I know Chapman wanted the Turbo to really be a step up for Lotus in to the Supercar game but wonder what happened and/or what changed when Essex came on to the scene. The Essex was darn expensive on launch and I think part of the reason to change from Essex Petroleum colours and options was to try to cheapen the price. Every single magazine of the day called the colour scheme 'garish.' Still looks good to me.....................

Don't think these have been put on here before - I think these are from Marks site so hope thats ok to share.............

KAH 540V was Development car No.2 and was featured in CAR magazines Road test in 1980...

Car_May80_04.jpgCar_May80_06.jpg

I am with Dan on the JPS Turbo and do like the scheme, saying that I still think 013 should be returned to Essex colours even though very clean in JPS livery.

Good shots Neil, I also like the chrome handles on the Essex as reminds me of my childhood poster.

Neil do you know which number this Essex from Tokyo is;

IMG_0317.JPGIMG_0318.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0326.JPGIMG_0327.JPG

Also these;

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPGIMG_0332.JPGIMG_0229.JPG

Dave :) 

IMG_0318.JPG

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I remember reading elsewhere that it turned out the Japanese one with the minilites wasn't an actual Essex. It has the later rear louvres I see......amongst other wrong Essex features

IMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPG

I could not make my mind up with the louvres as some shots look like double support where others single, it has the early bumper without a Lotus too? I have been searching for an engine shot online.

True enough now that you've put these shots up......hard to tell now.

Have your wife and kids disowned you yet Dave.........as this Turbo Esprit research you've been dedicating so much time to, seems to be taking over your life!:P

• Like 1

take also a look to the front bumper, it has the later lights inside it, after 1982 / 1983... but it has 4 studs

strange story, they must have change the wheel hubs or the front bumper

Edited by Tocus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

IMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPG

I could not make my mind up with the louvres as some shots look like double support where others single, it has the early bumper without a Lotus too? I have been searching for an engine shot online.

Looks like a single support louvre to me. The double supports on the later version are quite prominent....as on this colour coded one below.

IMG_0294.JPG

Yes Dave as mentioned that Japan one is a lookalike. The 'Downshift records' large photo with the chap getting out of the car is an interesting one.

Theres a video of it on YouTube. Its badged as Essex 037 however I don't have that on my list - would be interested to hear from anyone who knows its chassis.

Not so keen on the colour coded Blue bumpered Essex or the polished bumper one.

That said I don't think there can really be a right or wrong Essex in terms of what it came with. They were all different and it very much appeared to be whatever they had to fit

on the day.... The coloured louvre on the Ltd Edition HCT is a step too far IMO

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

Neil, I agree with colour coded louvred cars as much prefer black too.

Interesting you mention 37 as I had this photo in my IPad I see;IMG_0299.JPG

I assume it is one of the Jim Loose cars?

Still all smart cars like you say, how is 017 these days? Did Paul's son ever get it going?

6 hours ago, nello said:

Yes Dave as mentioned that Japan one is a lookalike. The 'Downshift records' large photo with the chap getting out of the car is an interesting one.

Theres a video of it on YouTube. Its badged as Essex 037 however I don't have that on my list - would be interested to hear from anyone who knows its chassis.

Not so keen on the colour coded Blue bumpered Essex or the polished bumper one.

That said I don't think there can really be a right or wrong Essex in terms of what it came with. They were all different and it very much appeared to be whatever they had to fit

on the day.... The coloured louvre on the Ltd Edition HCT is a step too far IMO

Chassis number 10337, hence the "37" Essex number applied by Loose. 

• Like 1

3 Grey market cars that came to the USA via Switzerland. US importer wouldn't bring them in so they were sourced through the back door. Painted Essex Blue in the USA after arrival but with all the Essex bits on them from the factory. Not official Essex cars, but identical in all respects. 1 Full Essex including the Blue paint came in as well and was sold by Loose, 10307, but not recognised by factory. 10325 was also meant to be shipped but the deal fell through with Lotus before it could ship.

• Like 2

Roo

Was 325 an actual Essex car as I heard Jim Loose tried to get this car before 037, 038 and 039 but it got sold before, Lotus had been holding it for him?

The owner of 037 is on here I think.

307 was brought back to the UK and sold by Mark at Stocks recently.

Did Loose give the other two cars numbers 038 and 039?

Not heard or seen any pics of these two either?

Chassis 10335/337/338 were the Loose cars Dave.

I don't have Chassis 10325 on my Essex list at all so presume that never made it in/as Essex spec.

The LHD Essex thats badged at 039 is in Germany - chassis 10308

• Like 1

Just another point to pass on to all - At the time not everyone liked the Essex livery (!) 'Garish' was the word used in by most of the press.................

Looking at my dates I believe the final 'Essex' cars left Hethel around March 1981 (LHD) which ties up more of a demand for other colours / options, a need to get the cost down (think Panasonic Cockpit!) and Colin wanting to remove the Essex association off both his F1 and Road cars. David Thieme was arrested a month later in Geneva as Essex Petroleum had gone bust.........................

Mark Thatchers car was the final RHD one which was dated 12/80. It was originally intended to be numbered 024 however once Lotus had decided the Essex badges were to go, it was quickly re-numbered 100 to possibly conclude the batch at a nice round (promised?!) number - unfortunately thats the reason most none Esprit people think there were 100 made.

Edited by nello
  • Like 1