Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Essex Random Images....... - Page 25 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex Random Images.......

nello

Not an image, but a quote about the mysterious Mr Thieme I just ran across on an F1 forum;

"As I recall, and I knew Thieme quite well, his money came from oil trading by his company Essex, the brains of which was a German expert on oil trading. He told me the whole Lotus sponsorship, and Le Mans where he took every free advertising space, and the Albert Hall thing, was to get the Essex name in front of 250 people around the world that he needed to impress.

His fall came because he insisted, against the advice of his expert, in doing “one last deal.” He borrowed $60m from a Swiss bank and lost it when the deal went sour – prices went against him – and disappeared.

Around 2 am one night in Paris, when I was driving across town to the only place you could buy cigarettes then, I spotted him and called out to him. He ducked and dived until I convinced him who I was, then came back home with me and we made a night of it. It was the last time I saw him. I heard later he had gone to Nigeria to try and make some money, and disappeared there.

Incidentally, the Essex livery was so stylish because he had been a graphic designer."

Just thought it was interesting that he may not be a Paris resident any more. I wonder if and when we will ever hear from him again?

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

At Silverstone Classic the commentator during the Masters Historic F1 race mentioned that he was one of the organisers of the Albert Hall event, and that nobody involved in it ever got paid!

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:38, Mark Gurney said:

One I took at the Vintage Festival at Goodwood 8 years ago. 

13082010184.jpg

Great photo. Really enjoyed the show but it was rather ruined by some people who didn't treat the cars with any respect. I think I posted about it previously but I saw a cheeseburger having been squashed onto the bonnet of an immaculate DB5 and so decided to remove the Essex before the end.  

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Great photo. Really enjoyed the show but it was rather ruined by some people who didn't treat the cars with any respect. I think I posted about it previously but I saw a cheeseburger having been squashed onto the bonnet of an immaculate DB5 and so decided to remove the Essex before the end.  

I take it this beaut is yours Barrie? 
It was a great festival, not sure why the Hemingways and Lord March never did another one....probably down to money. 
I have dj'd for Wayne and his family since but have never asked him about it.

There were many classic cars there spread out across the grounds and unfortunately I presume some of the ravers in attendance don't appreciate and respect the cars unlike the enthusiasts at FoS. 
Don't blame you for taking the Esprit away early, this may of been that DB5......

14082010186.jpg

15 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

This sort of thing happens unfortunately. I once parked mine in the paddock at Brooklands and forgot to lock it and some kids got into the car and started playing with the controls while their parents looked on!

• Sad 1

Just found this on the web.

1981-lotus-essex.jpg

• Like 2

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 1 month later...

Nice find Chris! I see Bernie made sure he was on the stage! Did not see Thieme but Francois Mazet Thiemes advisor was one of the guys wheeling Mario around. I think that was Balestre as well. Was it me or did Mario not expect to be hoisted up in the air!

Grand Prix racing ... and Team Lotus and Essex Petroleum have unveiled their new car for next season ... the Lotus Eighty-One. Motor racing experts said the new car closely resembles the Lotus Seventy-Nine, which won the World Championship in 1978. The unveiling took place aimed the razzle-dazzle of a stage show at a Paris nightclub on Friday (13 December).

SYNOPSIS: At the Paradis Latin Club, the early part of the presentation appealed more to devotees of the champagne circuit than to dedicated motor racing buffs.

The sleekest and most interesting body of the evening belonged to the car itself, gleaming in silver, red and blue. It replaces the radical Lotus Eighty, which fared poorly in the 1979 season that was dominated by Saudi-Williams and Ferrari. Lotus's main driver, Mario Andretti, will be praying for greater success behind this wheel than he had last season, without a single Grand Prix win. His number two is expected to be the young Italian, Elio de Angelis.

Essex Petroleum is a Monaco-based oil refining and distribution company. Last season, it joined Lotus as co-sponsors with the Italian drinks firm, martini and Rossi, which has now withdrawn. Essex aren't saying how much their sponsorship is worth, but they spent some thirty thousand pounds (about sixty thousand dollars) entertaining five hundred people at this launch party. Motoring experts calculate Essex's sponsorship will be three million pounds (six million dollars) over the next two years.

Edited by nello
  • Love 1

I wonder whether David Thieme ever paid the bill for this launch party?

• Haha 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

In other important Essex news................. Incredibly I have just been in contact with the original owner of No.017 who bought the car new back in November 1980!!!!!  Currently resides in Australia and thought the car had been scrapped although that was because he thought his car was No.019 - but the chassis proves otherwise!

And if anyone else looks at the Esprit Group on FB as well we've also heard/seen recent posts from the original owners of both No.010 and No.018.

That prompted me to check over the Register - Barrie I've only just noticed that your car was the other car as well as 017 that was sold through Tim and Zoe Randles on Stoke-on-Trent.

I know Zoe Randle (Walker) is still around as has posted on the Elan Forums last year.....................

Edited by nello

.................and one for the Christmas list Essex'er's!...................

https://motiveculture.com/collections/lotus-esprit/products/1980-lotus-essex-turbo-esprit-s2-blue-limited-edition-poster-print

42748032_992139417635346_7984789604257497088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&oh=d1e5dc8bd1af53d3c117787f2bbdaae1&oe=5C6269FF

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

David Thieme (MON) (Left) Chief Executive Essex Petroleum and title sponsor of the Lotus Team, raises glasses at a Lotus team dinner with Mario Andretti (USA).
French Grand Prix, Rd 8, Dijon-Prenois, France, 1 July 1979.

A very rare Shot indeed as Mr.T does not have the Square Shades on! That's Colin hidden behind Mario..................

7923436.jpg

More Theme and Essex crackers here Thanks to Sutton Images.....

Edited by nello
  • Like 2

Neil

Thanks for posting. I have also been in touch with the original purchaser of Essex No.11 who is keen to see the car again. I wonder if we could arrange for the original owners to be reunited with their old cars - maybe a feature for Absolute Lotus magazine? Could get Zoe Randle there too..?   

Might be tricky for 017 mate - He is now 77 and Down Under. He did tell me he did consider buying 007 when it was over there for old times sake!  He was buying a new 308 in late 1980 until he saw the Esprit. I did read Zoe Randle was still around on the Elan scene. I think the dealership is now a housing estate. I believe she split from Tim - wonder if she remembers the cars. 

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

Always loved Elio's Vader Helmet! IIRC it was a Simpson RX-1 which was released in 1979. 

Edited by nello

• 3 weeks later...

Old Picture

Essex.jpg

bought this little Essex Model, never seen it before, it seems to be very rare, i love it!

IMG_20181103_154103.jpg

IMG_20181103_154108.jpg

IMG_20181103_154117.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Tocus - I think that one comes from Japan in a white box? Sure I have seen them before but cannot remember the make. The AutoArt Essex models seem to fetch good money now. That 88 Image was another pre-season launch photo taken in the grounds at Ketteringham Hall. I loved that place and the fact they launched that seasons car there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nello said:

Nice Tocus - I think that one comes from Japan in a white box? Sure I have seen them before but cannot remember the make. The AutoArt Essex models seem to fetch good money now. That 88 Image was another pre-season launch photo taken in the grounds at Ketteringham Hall. I loved that place and the fact they launched that seasons car there. 

Thanks Neil, for the words behind the picture, (i am to young i think... never seen the glory days of Lotus F1) i wish i have seen it at that time,

the model car is from western models, i like it, because its essex!