Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Essex Random Images....... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex Random Images.......

nello

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Essex launch pics. I believe that is Shirley Bassey in the last pic.^

56.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Great pictures. I see he has a Bburago model of the Lotus 79 on his computer in the horrid Martini livery. I beleieve they issued one in Essex colours eventually!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yep they are the Essex Launch night at the Albert Hall. Still think the 88 looks stunning.

Faces from the 3rd pic include Andretti / De Angelis / ACBC / Thieme / Thiemes racing advisor Francois Mazet and Bernie Ecclestone typical appearing to be brokering another deal on stage!!! Circa 1979

The second shot is a cut-away by Tony Matthews of the Essex hospitality bus - mega-lavish that really kicked off the whole luxury/hospitality thing. I understand the upper Roof canopy was ripped off at the British GP by a low-flying Tornado?!!!

Here it is in its day at Monaco Harbourside in 1980:

3506586411_3947b28270.jpg

Also this one:

3559703624_21ab8ed03a.jpg

Features the Essex Sunbeam Lotus and the Innocenti Essex Mini no-less!!

Found these on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum - The Lotus Elite S2.2 in both pics (LCL 852V) was the recently released 2.2 litre version of the Elite, and this one was painted and trimmed in the colours of the Essex Petroleum and Tissot. Colin had the car taken to all of the European GP events in 1980 and 81 so that there was a four-seater Lotus available when he flew in for him or the drivers (Mario Andretti, Elio de Angelis or Nigel Mansell). Now owned by a chap called Leigh Greenham from Oxford - hope he might be here??!

Quite possibly Thiemes Monaco apartment where Essex Petroleum waqs based from in number 3 and 4 - That was fairly well advanced IT kit in its day! I can hear him now............'Buy...Sell.....:0)

And yes the last ones Shirley Bassey live on stage - Think Ray Charles was the guest the following year (1980?)

Edited by nello

Don't that look bloody great Mark - Really love the Elite/Eclat now after years in the wilderness......especially with those Speedlines....

More interesting finds:

Duke video footage regarding the first Lotus Turbo F1 cars................Spot at 00:32 inside Kettteringham the first 93T Turbo car being prepped....and theres an Essex Esprit on the ramps behind!! Sorry cannot see the number or reg! This footage must be late '82 not long before Colins death and later circa early '83 at Ricard (Ironically) with Elio..............Note also the Red Turbo parked at the end of the pitlane around 03:03

• Like 1

The second shot is a cut-away by Tony Matthews of the Essex hospitality bus - mega-lavish that really kicked off the whole luxury/hospitality thing. I understand the upper Roof canopy was ripped off at the British GP by a low-flying Tornado?!!!

It was actually a Harrier jump jet putting on a demonstration including flying sideways, backwards and bowing to the crowd all at a fairly low altitude over the Brands Hatch paddock. The blast from its nozzles as it hovered literally blew away the canopy and most of the tables. I was there as a spectator. I had driven down in the Plus 2 I had at the time. Unfortunately, one of the rear wheel bearings started to break up on the way down. I didn't know at the time. I was just aware of a noise from the rear. We were camping in the infield which was muddy so dirt and grit got into the bearing. On the way home I was getting rear-wheel steer as I neared Coventry where I was living at the time but I made it. Took the upright into work to press out the driveshaft and press in the new bearing, which I got from JE Motors which was my local source for Lotus spares in those days.

Those were the days when they had the Grand Prix drivers racing BMW M1's in a supporting race. Great stuff!

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

On the way home I was getting rear-wheel steer as I neared Coventry where I was living at the time but I made it.

Coincidental Trevor...............my home town :D

Really? I was living at Bridgeacre Gardens at the time. That's where I met the girl who is now my wife. :D

Before that I lived in Bedford Street in Earlsdon and used to drink in the Albany.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Lol - Mad - I was born in Newcombe Road Earlsdon!!...............and MJK and Kimbers are Coventrians!!!

.....go past The Albany most days as my eldest is at school near there..........small world mate.

To keep it back on Thread - Essex 17 and my HC Turbo are both SORN 10 mins from there.

Edited by nello

From Sports Illustrated dated 23/06/1980:

It has been just about a year since the following historic scene took place at Monte Carlo. The dialogue will be paraphrased a bit, since even the principals recall the talk as being a bit fanciful. David Thieme, the shadowy financial genius who is head of Essex Overseas Petroleum Corp., looked levelly at his friend, the great chef Roger Verg�, and murmured, "Tell me. what kind of wine would you say goes with the Indy 500?"

Verg� thought about it seriously, looking at the ceiling and rolling the idea around on his tongue, and then snapped his fingers. "But, of course. I'd say something from Provence," he said. "Um, possibly one of my own Moulin de Mougins, say, the blanc de blancs. It's unassuming in its way, yet robust enough to withstand the roar of the race cars. As for the red, well [perhaps the hint of a Gallic shrug here, the palms up], possibly a Ch�teau Lafite-Rothschild."

Thieme nodded, looking serious as always behind his tinted glasses, and said, "Fine, then. Pack up 15 cases. Plus your pat�s, of course

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks fantastic

As I recall it was only for sale for 4 days before being sold. Any longer and I'd have been the proud owner of 2 Essex's..

Well done - are we going to see it out and about?

Bazza

They don't hang around long do they?

Saw advertised on Pistonheads 5 months ago and I purchased within a day of seeing the advert, been waiting a long time for one to come up for sale, didn't see it at Donington.

Couple of small jobs to attend to before I wheel it out to the shows, maybe the Club Lotus parts fair in October then as many as I can attend next year

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Found this thread searching for the Essex Team jacket...I've just recently made the acquaintance of a guy who has Andretti's silver jacket like the ones in this pic. Still has Mario's original sweat-stains in the collar too!

Oh and yeah, that was indeed Shirley Bassey in that previous pic... :lol:

Essex launch pics. I believe that is Shirley Bassey in the last pic.^

56.jpg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 4 months later...

226edace211da58ac3a07fca129_4.jpg

Made by Marshall, Cambrigde . Based on a Leyland PSV3B/4R chassis

Brands Hatch July 1980

5807275025_ca9afe4640_b.jpg

David Thieme in cowboy hat

david-thieme-essex.jpg

Jet ranger helicopter