Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Possible cam tensioner failure - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Possible cam tensioner failure

This is what I never wanted. Last night when for a run to the pub car run well but a slight clatering noise, more of a rattle. Stuck it on the ramps, started it up and the noise was coming from the front of the engine, it got louder so I shut it down and checked if all the belts were tight, oh SSSSHHHH TTTT. cam belt is so loose I can slide it of the pulleys with my little finger.

I need some real here help guys, I have tried to get to the cam pulley to see if it is tight, the belts in one piece but is hard to see whats going on. I need some expert advice. How best to get to the tensioner and .................well I am almost crying.

Anyone heard of this before, Sparky, would apreciate your thoughts, and how busy are you at present.

Dave

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave

Is the tensioner on the correct way? ie it should tighten against the belt if it moves. Also is the lock nut still in place?

Felix's was on the wrong way round and his belt was getting looser over time but fortunately he noticed and fixed it. Have you got a service manual? That has the diagram in it for the correct orientation .

The tensioner is just behind the crank pulley so you can just about put your hand over and feel it / the lock nut.

Try not to worry too much, you got lots of help at hand!! :)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Hi Chris, yes the lock is in place but the tensioner seams to be very close to the pulley, the trouble is you need to know what your feeling, said the Vicar to the actress. I am not familiar with the layout, best I get the book out.

Cheers Chris, I just hope I have not damaged the valves.

Dave

Dave sorry to hear this,

But on the bright side and there is always one you have been saved from massive engine damage if it had gone without you noticing, Im no expert on the later engines as when i owned my stevens it was fairly new, however if the belts slack would only presume thats it will be the tensioner.

I would contemplate a cambelts change anyway as running it slack will of done the belt no good anyway. You would have to take it all of to check the tensioner anyway. I personally would take the tensioner of to inspect it while out of the car as you could miss possible damage if just inspecting while on the car. Also you can have a good look about while the belts are off.

Consider yourself very lucky as it could of ended in tears at least the cost will only be a cambelt and tensioner!

Good luck and im sure you will get more info off more forum members with a bit more no how on these engines, hope it all pans out regards danny

A

The tensioner is very close to the crank pulley, the crank pulley sits just in front of it. You can loosen off the nut, check the orientation of the tensioner then tighten it back up. If you don't have a krikit gauge to hand then tighten the belt until you can comfortably turn it 1/4 of a turn between the accessory pulley and the inlet cam pulley as a temporary check until you can check it with the correct equipment :)

I would also consider replacing the belt and tensioner as a matter of course.

Fingers crossed Dave

post-1877-1249049500_thumb.jpg

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Chris, it seams its on the right way around, by the feel of it i would not be able to get a socket on it. just about to get under it to check the nuts. What I am really not sure of is if the belt has slipped, I may need help to chaeck that the timing is ok, do not want to do any more damage.

Dave

All I can suggest at the moment is tighten up the belt and by hand carefully turn over the engine to TDC and see if all the marks line up, short of pulling the head etc :)

Hi Felix, we are having a group hug with sparky and wooky at around 9 am tomorrow morning. If you fancy joining us I would be pleased to see u.

The guys do not have a great deal of time as they will be off elsewhere afterwards., but look forward to seeing u. Your can be the governor this time instead of me. Ha Ha.

See you tomorrow

Take care

Dave

As long as it's loose, you might also check the tensioner bearing - rotate it by hand or just wiggle it around and see if it has any free play. If the bearing is going out, one of the first things to happen is the belt will get looser from the free play. Also, it would make a noise while the engine was running.

+1 on changing the cam belt. If it was loose, that means it was flapping around quite a bit, and may have been weakened. Considering the expense if it does break or otherwise malfunction, a change is cheap insurance.

The bearing does rotate, it feels smooth, and the seal is in place. however the securing nut is very loose, almost finger tight, the belt looks fine. The car probably only did less than 10 miles with the rattle (loose cam belt) if I am lucky a tighten up may fix it.

We will see tomorrow.

Dave

Well, my great thanks to the chums who helped me out this morning, well done guys, I was very lucky, the belt tensior had loosened and it was close to wrecking the engine but after a group hug, a cup of tea or two it was running again. Fantastic news, going to repay the efforts by Sparky, wooky and felix, we are going to help sparky do some stuff on his car as he is always helping other. A workshop fest, over a weekend with a BBQ, a time to help others get their cars in A1 condition. More to follow about this guys but hold the diary on the 5th and 6th of sept, booze and working weekend.

As you can see from the pictures, sometimes working, sometimes sleeping. And sparky's arm with CAM MARKS

Cheer guys

Dave

Great news Dave,

Glad it all ended up ok in the end, Well done to the chaps for giving you a hand aswell its nice to know that people help out and its nice to see it happen a lot on this forum.

Do like your ramps aswell, how do they work...

Regards danny

A

As your can see the ramps have an end plate which you remove, 3 screws. Then you attach 2 ramps where the plates were, you might be able to see these under the main ramps, and drive the car off...........simples.

The bits you cannot see as they are being made now are two cross trays allowing you to lift the car higher and get all 4 wheels up a further 300mm or so thus allowing your to remove the wheels. It works well, very pleased with it.

Dave

• Gold FFM

Having been intimate with the ramps today, I can vouch for them. Really sturdy and shedloads of room under them. We decided to renew the cambelt (since the car had already done half the job), and the job was most enjoyable with all that space. Good acoustics too, so I could sing to my heart's content whilst waving spanners. Shoulda been there, Paul!

I love Dave's garage, but I always feel a bit guilty when my work clothes shed on his squeaky clean floor. :robo:

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Do not fear my friend its all nice and clean again, you must love those black plastic gloves, they were everywhere.

Great fun................

I am sure wooky was asleep, heard you say please stop snoring or something..............

Dave

• Gold FFM

Actually, he was mesmerised by my melodic murmurings.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Took the beastly for a run today, coincidence but before I got the rattle and then found the tensioner loode the car did not drive smoothly, it hesisted in second to third and was not behavfing well, since the belt was re tightened the car is as smooth as anything, not hesitation / faultering.

Drives great, smooth, very fast - real pleasure to drive again.

Dave

No fluid leaking, all holding together well.

Edited by Dave Freeman