Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Very bad news.......my chassis is gone - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Very bad news.......my chassis is gone

giorgio67

Hi friends,

not a good day.

I was working on my chassis front section, preparing it for the paint and under a tons of paint and oil I have discovered that my chassis is bented on one side. :lol:

It seems like a little impact on the passenger side, there are breaking point in the joint where the schock absorber mounting meet the front chassis section.

There is also a badly welded plate on the box section ad the measuraments I have taken indicate that there are mis-allignement of more than 1 cm.

There are no doubt about the fact that it could not be used.

Regarding the fact that I have repaired the rear section before checking the front.......I would not comment about my stupidity....

That said, now I have to solve the problem, and frankly, after such a job, I'm very demoralized.

The price for a new one plus shipping is horrendous...but which other solution I have?

The problem is also that for the Italian law and rules is not possible to register a car with a different chassis number, must be the same reported on the car's book.

So, my question is, does anyone know if a new chassis from Lotus comes blank, with a different chassis number or I can have the original number marked on the new as a replacement part?

Fundamental point...to know if i will be able to finish my restoration.... :rtfm:

Hope to receive some help and infos, this is really the worst thing of all.

Thanks in advance.

Just some pics of the front section.

Cheers

Giorgio

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giorgio

Feel for you. It was originally a UK car? Did you officially import it into Italy? If you still have the original UK V5 registration document you can apply to the UK DVLA for a new doc with the new chassis number on it. Then when you import the paperwork will look OK.

Other option if you have registered in Italy would be to reregister in the UK, change the chassis no, then reimport to Italy, but that could cost you. Just trying to throw out some ideas..............

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

A replacement chassis should be blank.

Have a word with Nifty as he has been in contact with the manufacturer and it may be possibel to purchase a reapir section (don't know, but worth a try). Alternatively, try a breaker to find out if they have a chasis which is good for the bit you need but bad elsewhere and they could cut the front area off and send to you.

Yes, the numbers are stamped on the front section in the right side.

Andy, really I don't know if would be good to weld a complete front section without a jig, and also a used front section has a different chassis number marked on it. I think this is not pemitted by Lotus and not possible for the italian rules, but the way suggested by Matk could be interesting.

I have the original V5, and the car is still not registered in Italy, any other info about that?

Thanks

Giorgio

See here for more info

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cate/DG_4022054

It could be tricky. It may be as simple as just writing in to the DVLA and explaining the situation. Worst case is they would want to inspect the car. Either way I think it could be your best option. They may also refuse to consider anything to do with the car if they find out it's in Italy too.

I might be tempted to pass ownership to a UK individual to let them try for a fresh V5 doc, and then retake ownership of the car. I've got to say though that having been fleeced by Troy while trying to do him a favour, it's an element of risk putting ownership of your car in someone elses hands.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Matk, thanks for the link, I will try to contact the Uk DVLA.

Buddsy,

the photos are not too much clear, so they does't shown the real damage.

There some problems about what you said:

1) I have not any factory sheet with proper measures of a brand new chassis

2) I have not any references about a good left side to see the quote as also the LH is slightly bented.

3) There is a horrible "patchwork" inside the box section (where are mounted the whisbones and lower link) , virtually un-removable due to welding and this in my opinion make the car unsaleable in future.

4) I have not the skill to do the repair, and I think no one here in Italy has the knowledge to do it without the right chassis quote.

So, at the moment the repair is not contemplate, I need just to know if Lotus can supply a new chassis with my original number.

Maybe some members can give a call at he factory to see what is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Giorgio

Giorgio,

I anyone in Italy ever really going to actually look at the chassis number?!?!? Or in any country, for a matter of fact? Once the car is finished, how would they ever know? Aren't they just concerned about the number on the body (inside front compartment and/or behind windshield)? Would they even know where to look?

I think I know of a couple of excellent S2 chassis here in the States that can be bought for around $500 USD each. I'd be happy to acquire one for you, sand/fill the chassis number and paint over it smooth so you have a blank . . . or find someone to stamp a new number on it. It might be a couple of months before I can do it, but eventually I'd get it done . . .

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony be careful! They may be watching... :lol:

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Hi Tony,

thanks but...

sadly yes, in Italy the rules are very precise as my car is still NOT registered in my country.

The problem is that is not a MOT test but it's a test to register the car, very complex here and they look at the chassis number, that's sure.

Regarding your offer, first of all thanks for your kindness but I think you are speaking about a LHD US chassis?

In that case they will be not good for me as my car is an original RHD from Uk and I want to keep it original.

Ciao

Giorgio

PS: anyone here got a new chassis from Lotus? just to know for sure if it came blank or with a service number marked on it.

Ok guys,

just received a quote from Steve SJ.

A new chassis directly to my house is 3600 GBP :lol: and six months to wait.

He told me about the way to have mine completely repaired by him for about 2400 GBP, but this option is only for NOT galvanised chassis.

Mine is galvanised and Steve says that only the not zinc coated chassis can be properly repaired/welded and for sure on a jig.

This is really a little tragedy for me....

It's more or less the price of my car...

I think I need to clarify the chassis numbers /rules here in Italy and maybe the only chance is to get a very good used from UK.

Not easy, but you have other ideas?

Regarding what Buddsy says, the factory doesn't supply the chassis drawns and dimension, so really I don't know how a professional would be able to repair the chassis without any references....

Cheers

Giorgio :rtfm:

Edited by ghe67

You could always cut the chassis number from the old chassis, cut it into an official looking shape and pop rivet to your new chassis. Other cars have chassis plates attached in a similar fashion, nobody (except us...) would know that it wasn't original.

Hmm, similar problem different reason.

Thanks for the heads up colin but the new chassis states LHD only.

Full chassis for the Esprit S3 and Turbo pre 1985. This part is now obsolete.

Reference No.A082A4125J

This one isn't LHD mate.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Ahh, there are two types. My mistake.

I'm going to have to put my thinking cap back on again now!

What to do...what to do?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

If you can get a new repair section or a complete chassis, my advise would be to clean the front iron section where the chassis number is stamped and get someone to braze over the area. grind it down and then have it restamped with the old number. Either that or rely on the VIN (chassis number) that is stuck under the windscreen and not worry, just have the ground down brazing painted with a few coats of paint.

For some reason that I cannot work out, my red Esprit chassis does not have the number stamped on the front of the chassis.

Giorgio!

Really sorry to hear the news. My new galvanised chassis came blank through SJ so you can stamp your own numbers on it.

The old chassis sounds like yous. Accident damaged and bent at the front with a large, badly welded patch on the front T-section that was rusted all over. (I never looked under the car before I bought it!) My mistake!

I think a new chassis is your only option.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete,

thanks for the infos, I was reading somewhere that they have a LR prefix marked on it (Lotus Replacement) but if are blank this is a good notice in some way...

Did you take pics of your new chassis?

Ciao

Giorgio

Give Soth West Lotus a call. They are advertising new chassis for S3 & turbo for
Edited by ghe67

Hi Giorgio,

I can scan some pics of the rebuild that SJ took (before there were digital cameras!).

Do you know where this LR prefix is supposed to be? I've never noticed it.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

i have owned an imported and converted esprit (rhd to lhd)

to convert the car you'll need a new front end

this includes having to re-place the vin number on another (original) part of the car

after talking to the (MOT) they accepted that it as placed in the right rear arche on the chassis were the suspension is held.

have a talk with those guys in italy and ask them how to solve the problem

but

after you have replaced the vin from front to back have this put on a piece of official paper with stamps on them

my car didn't have this

so after exporting the car to belgium the new owner had a hard time getting it official

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Desperate news, Giorgio. It would be the obvious time to get a new chassis and reassemble around that; demoralising, though. Remember how difficult it was to get information on the Esprit without the web; hardly anybody knows anything about them. I wouldn't think that officialdom would have any idea where chassis numbers are located...or how they were marked. A nice plate over the new number with the old one stamped on it, and some official looking paperwork out of your computer, and they'd be happy. Shouldn't be too difficult for someone who tackles gearboxes!!

As mentioned before, the Esprit uses all sorts of washers and spacers to get the wheels aligned; as long as the chassis is up to it from a rigidity and strength point of view, it shouldn't matter too much if there is a small chassis misalignement, as long as all the wheels are aligned correctly. Good luck, chum!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi John,

it is a problem not easy to solve....

A new chassis is very expensive, the used one from SWLC is in good condition, early type not galvanised but they ask me 1500/2000 GBP for the postage to Italy... :whistle::wallbash: non sense price as SJ shipping cost is 500 GBP including a wooden crate for the new one from Lotus.

I don't know, I'm still waiting an answer from PNM to see if they have a very good used chassis for me..

I'm even more DEMORALISED.

Ciao

Giorgio

Giorgio,

Have you tried getting a quote from an independent haulier? Likely to be alot cheaper. Thats what I'm looking into to ship my chassis - internal only of course.

Dont get too demoralised. I know its difficult but keep your head up and keep trying.

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein