Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Put me down for the 30/31st weekend, Ill get the hoist over ASAP :)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

A list is normally appropriate at this juncture I believe?

30th / 31st

1&2 Paul & Sarah

3 Chris

4&5 Felix (& Denise?)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Ok its 30/31st of Jan - its a date.

We have a number of rooms for those who wish to stay over for breakfast, and to enable plenty of the RUM stuff.

Please let me know if you want a room / stay over. We have 3 spare double bedrooms and 2 or three other rooms which can be used to pass out in.

Megan will probably do a "CURRY" and a "CHILLI CON CARNE" keeping the food simple, allowing more time to drink, in case I did not say ealier we do have a "SINGSTAR" and "GUITAR HERO" for those who like to indulge. No singing til 2.00am out side as last time.......its to cold.

Dave

I am having some thoughts, I know impossible with all the booze consumed over xmas. I might pull the engine over the next couple of weeks and replace the parts. Then the 30 / 31st could be a "put it back in and get it fired up" weekend. Thought on what is possible over a weekend, well saturday anyway.

Just a thought, your comments ladies and gentlemen.

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

• Gold FFM

Woohooo!

1&2 Paul & Sarah

3 Chris

4&5 Felix (& Denise?)

6 Sparky

Curry (3 helpings), rum and a room/manger for Saturday night (30 Jan) please.

Wake-up 0730, full English (no eggs though), and the Sunday Times.

Do you need my Visa no?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Count me in for the Saturday - family do on Sunday. It will be good to give the car a run given all the work I have been doing on it and now have parts of the interior out to restain the leather

Mike

Hi Dave

May I join the weekend ?

I just checked the Easyjet sat. back on Sun. and it's good/afforable price.

Please PM me if it's possible asp.

Yasuo

P.S I would like to see your new ST. exhaust maniflod

Yasuo, absolutely, yes. We will save a room for you, be really good to see you again. Let me know the flight times and we will pick you up and take you back.

Really appreciate you making the effort. look forward to seeing you.

take care my friend

Davethumbsup.gifanimier.gifcheers.gif

So the names thus far................

1&2 Paul & Sarah - room booked - friday is ok as before

3 Chris (internets) space on the floor if wanted.

4&5 Felix (& Denise?)

6 Sparky - room booked

7 Mike - Saturday only no room

8 Yasou - room booked with breakfast

please add names so we can make sure there is plenty of booze and curry.

Dave

Well I have ordered all the bits................

Clutch, thrust race, pressure plate

Recon water pump

vac pump being despatched tomorrow

manifold to turbo gasket

nice new nuts (for the manifold

charge cooler kit

filter and other bits, stuff etc.

Kind Chris (internets is providing the hoist.

Dave

Fabulous Davey boy. Friday it is then, Cant wait smile.gif

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

Just a caveat about the hoist, chaps. This is the one we used to get Trev's engine out. That's an S3, and was an easy bumper removal. Even with bumper off we were on the edge. I doubt you want to tackle your bumper, Dave, so CofG may be an issue. May be wise to get an extended boom made up?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Already mentioned that to Dave, or of course do as SW Lotus and remove the engine from the side :) .... Maybe

EngineRebuild_146.jpg

But an extension would be good non? for the TLF London hoist :thumbsup:

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• Gold FFM

That could work in Dave's shop! Gotta get me a set o' dem covers...

Dave, do you have room for the missus and I for Saturday night?

I've just taken my car off the road for my winter maintance myself and look forward to turning some wrinches again...

Cheers

Felix

That could work in Dave's shop!

Dave does not sell stuff he has a Garage!, you have Felix thinking he is back in the USA, sorry I mean Canada.. :thumbsup:

• Gold FFM

I try and make our less unfortunate colonials feel at home, and this is how you treat me?

Bloody pedants.

(luv ya really)

Hi Dave

Thank you I booked EasyJet today :

Sat 30th jan Standsted arrival time 12:30 (flight no.3462)

Sun 31th jan Standsted 18:15 (flight no. 3467 check in time from 16:15)

I'm looking forward to see you and other menbers

Yasuo

Remarks:

Your parts list not showed engine/gearbox mounts you may check or replaced.

also the O ring for the driveshafts.

Edited by esp88

Dave,

I'm free that weekend so will definitely pop over.

1&2 Paul & Sarah - room booked - friday is ok as before

3 Chris (internets) space on the floor if wanted.

4&5 Felix (& Denise?)

6 Sparky - room booked

7 Mike - Saturday only no room

8 Yasou - room booked with breakfast

9 Martyn

There's another major plus point to taking the engine out sideways in that you won't have to open the garage door an let the freezing cold in :thumbsup:.

Sparky you should get some of these covers they stick like glue even in a fair bit of a breeze, I got mine through Club Lotus.

Martyn :)

Felix, no problem = a room is set aside for you.

Looking forward to it. I'll get some cigars

Guys do not forget my car is much lower by some 3 inches, if that helps. So do we all think it is possible. Still thinking it possible to pull the engine prior to the 30th so its ready to go back in, all painted and clean, any thoughts anyone...................

Dave

• Gold FFM

Car needs to be on stands, just high enough to allow work from below. Dave, if you feel up to the task of pulling the lump before that weekend, go for it. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get there before then. Might be better to have the thing completey disconnected by Friday, ready for the pull maybe Friday night or Saturday morning.

The actual engine/box work will take very little time at all with several of us at it, then it's just a matter of dropping it all back in - eminently achievable in 2 days, providing there are no hiccups (what am I saying??? This is a Lotus).

To reiterate your parts list:

Clutch, thrust race, pressure plate

Recon water pump

vac pump being despatched tomorrow

manifold to turbo gasket

nice new nuts (for the manifold

charge cooler kit

filter and other bits, stuff etc.

Yasuo then mentioned engine/gearbox mounts - certainly worth changing at this point. I would separate the yoke/spider of each driveshaft rather than drive the pins out, but if you do it the conventional way then Yasuo's suggestion of O rings is a good one. Also:

Flywheel OK?

Crankshaft rear oil seal?

Cam and aux belts?

Appropriate sealants

Plenty of new jubilee clips

Do you have (or have weekend access to a supplier of) studs/nuts/bolts? That exhaust and turbo will be no picnic.

Will all your boot floor nuts/bolts come out clean?

Seen too many of these go south due to 'surprises'!

What about belts as well Dave? Do these need changing too?

Fluids are obvious i know, but worth adding to the list? Anti freeze. Oil, Filter etc.

The water pump does not have a gasket either, do you have the mating sealant or some gasket paper?

Bronze nuts for the catalyst to turbo fixings x 3.

Vacuum pipes, cracked elbows that cause leaks.

Thermostat and gasket?

Inlet manifold gasket?

Any sensors need replacing?

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Cricky guys the list is endless, belts are almost new, yes I have the sealant for the pump, yes there are local suppliers for nuts etc, jub clips I will put on my list.

Pulling the lump earlier, well, part of the reason for pulling the engine is to clean and paint the engine and the bay. so in consideration of that getting it in and out in two days is asking alot, do not want to rush it. My considered opinion is that time would be well spent pulling the engine, fitting the new parts, maybe checking the tanks and generating a list of further items to purchase. This may be enough for sat / sunday.

Oh f ck it, I am going to have to think about this, I'll get back to you all later this evening.

Dave

Well, I have given it some thought, I really want to get the engine painted, and ensure the tanks are ok, repair the fuel sender and make sure the engine bay is nice and clean, to this properly is a long job and will take more than a weekend. So unless someone can persued me otherwise I think the best course of action is to do the follow (sparky, will this keep us all busy enough over the weekend.

1. If possible, remove manifold and check that new one fits.

2. disconnect all ancillery parts.

3. remove engine sideways

4. Replace clutch

5, Waterpump

6. Replace vac pump

7. Refurbish charge cooler.

8. Remove and check fuel tanks

9. Replace seals in drive shafts

10. Make list of all the other bits I need.

Then over the few weeks following removal I can prepare the engine, paint clean and all that, make other repairs in the engine bay. Then; and this is where I need sparkys advise, can one person replace the engine, or would I need some help?

Well that's the plan. Remove engine from side will allow us to kep the garage warm / hot. Going to buy a space heater so we stay warm, we will have everything we need in the garage without going out into the cold.......music, fridge full of beer, a car to work on and HEAT. Chairs can be provided for the old and infirm where necessary......ha ha

Comments please............looking forward to the weekend event.

Dave respect.gifcheers.gif