Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Finally got it - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Finally got it

Happy day

post-4319-125771049693_thumb.jpg

Happy moments

post-4319-125771053804_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

Yipee, I finally picked up an S1 esprit. Its an original white car in remarkably good condition. It does need some work, the usual stuff, including a reupholstry job, but thats all the fun in owning an esprit S1. Luckly, it hasn't had a sunroof fitted, and its complete.

Having it handed to you on a plater is something anyone with loads of cash can do. Restoring it yourself, is going to be really good fun, and a huge education.

One thing which might cause me a small headache is finding a pair of rear wolfrace wheels.

Hopefully, I'll be posting as I go along witht the restoration.

Bibs, how do I become a full member?

Cos

Edited by Cos

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cool. Congratulations on your purchase Cos :)

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Very nice Cos, congrats! To upgrade like a real man, click on 'subscriptions' up the top there!

Is Roddy coming to the NEC this year?

Thank Bibs

Roddy is definately coming to the NEC again this year. I will try to come too if I can get the time off and come over to UK. He says hi, and looks forward to it.

I will be subscribing as a "fully" as soon as I get back home.

Really hope I can find the rear wheels soon.

With this restoration, its going to be a real fun. Just hope I dont come into too many bank breaking discoveries help.gif I want to keep a running update of this restore, as I believe that sharing of info is the way to keep these cars on the road.

Cos

Edited by Cos

Congratulations on your purchase, Cos. The car is lucky to have gone to an owner with your attitude and to a nice, dry climate. Have fun with it and don't forget to post your progress in the restorations area.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks guys for all your good wishes.

Ironically, this car is 127G. The Agia Napa car (Yellow molested one) is 126G.

The car will spend a while at my brothers in London, (Roddy, silver S2.2) where the work will start.

I plan to get it back to as original condition as possible.

Its currently got an excel engine fitted. The original engine came with the car, with a bunch of receipts for the engine work that has been carried out. I will start by getting the original engine full prepared, and running in the car before anything else. Then it looks like a body off job, to review what works been carried out. The chassis is the original, that has been hot dipped galvanized. I will jigged, then painted black.

i'll see where I will go from there then.

Cos

WELL DONE CONTANTINE !

Looks like you have a lovely find there .All the very best for the future .

Just a thought ,i do understand originality counts however before you go and do the engine here is some valuable info.

The excel engine is the same engine that was put into the S3 at change circa 1985 however the compression ratio was raised on the excel and thereby giving it 180bhp as oppossed to the esprit engine @ 160bhp

This in turn gave 165lb ft as oppossed to the 160lb ft of the esprit !Never understand why this was not passed over to the esprit but that is the case.

The beauty of this is that you have a motor that looks the same but performs better .

I would therfore hedge my bets on retaining the excel engine unless your intent on winning one of the concourse events.

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Hi Richard

I have been thinking about that quite alot. The excel engine fitted starts up on the button.

I will see how I am going to go about this. My brother, who has an esprit S2.2 and an eclat 2.2 also think the same as you.

Cos

Car sounds much more original than it first appeared. You going tartan?

See you moved it on a tilting bed, did you winch it on, if so where do you tow an Esprit from (my 2.2 will need to move at least once before it is roadworthy)

Just found this thread, congrats on the acquisition Cos.

thumbup.gif

So I assume this is an original gelcoat car (ie non painted)?

Hope you're going to go the tartan route.

Looking forward to your progress.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Congrats Cos, sorry i could not make my mind up to sell mine, i would be interested to see what your rear wheels are. I may have an idea for the rear wolfraces but ill let you know.

Good luck.

Edited by Roger Moore

Congrats Cos, sorry i could not make my mind up to sell mine, i would be interested to see what your rear wheels are. I may have an idea for the rear wolfraces but ill let you know.

Good luck.

Hi Anthony

I totally undersatnd you not been able to make up your mind. Yours is a lovely car.

I've no idea what the rear wheels it has are. The could be some kind of custom wheel i suspect. They look to be in 2 parts. The center disc is bolted to the outer part.

I'll call you soon. Take car.

Cos

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update

I found a few days when I could go over to London and work on the s1 which is in my brother Roddy's garage.

Firstly, I found that the front brakes where seized on, and that the rear left wheel handbrake wasn't working at all.

I took apart the calipers, and freed up the front brakes and changed all the seals and nipples. They work fine now. I found also that the reason the rear left handbrake wasn't working was because the ratchet shaft connected to the piston was worn. I ordered a new piston from SJ and fitted it, then adjusted the cables. They also work fine now. I balanced the carb vacuum and adjusted the mixtured. Engine now starts on the button.

Changed a few bulbs, oils, brake fluids, sparks, HT leads, rotor arm, distributer cap.

I then took the car for a few drives up an down the alleyway, and it seemed ok. Then it started to blow a fuse.

After some head scratching, me an Roddy figured out it might be the reverse swich, because the fuses were ok until we started revesing. The reverse switch wires were sitting on the exaust, and had melted a small part of the wire, which caused the short when the gearbox was in reverse. Fixed the wire, and tided up the wires. Also removed both fuse boxed and cleaned all the spades and mounts.

Next day we took the car to the MOT station. Well, to our surprise, it passed. The car now has its first MOT in 22 YEARS!!!!

Its now insured, MOT'd and taxed. I will be going over again in the next few days to do some more work on it and getting some quoted for a respray. Cant wait!!

Any comments of good car sprayers around the London area will be appreciated.

post-4319-1260715508_thumb.jpg

post-4319-126071553593_thumb.jpg

post-4319-126071557524_thumb.jpg

post-4319-126071564136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cos

Some pictures and information on the MOT process from myself Roddy (Cos's brother).

esprit S1 nose to nose with esprit S2.2 in my garage

post-5869-126117954938_thumb.jpg

Removal of pinstripe. Possibly an 80's mod when some esprit S1's were being made to look like later cars.

post-5869-126117957213_thumb.jpg

Cos in Lotus position

post-5869-126117960723_thumb.jpg

post-5869-126117963145_thumb.jpg

Freeing seized calipers, requires some skill, WD40, strength and patience

post-5869-126117966769_thumb.jpg

post-5869-126117969734_thumb.jpg

Rear caliper piston/handbrake mechanism

post-5869-126117972537_thumb.jpg

Rear calipers on bench

post-5869-126117977096_thumb.jpg

Another Lotus position

post-5869-126117980284_thumb.jpg

Sideways view of gearbox showing the close proximity of reverse light switch and exhaust box. One of the wires shorted on the exhaust box. Something to watch out for. The picture shows the temporarily repaired switch.

post-5869-126117982093_thumb.jpg

Reverse light switch resting on bench with temporary repair for MOT. New switch on 'planned order list'

post-5869-126117987839_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I never got an answer to my question I posted in both threads : is this an original gelcoat car? If it's an early 1976 it should be... if that's the case I would hold on to respraying it and keep the original

gelcoat finish as it is unique and irreplaceable. Perhaps the car has already been resprayed before?

Good work BTWthumbsup.gif

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.