Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Will Modern Cars Become Classics - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Will Modern Cars Become Classics

My old Jaguars from 10 years ago are, in my opinion, becoming classics.

Any 10 year old Jags still going may be regarded not only as classics, but miracles too!

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have come up with the ultimate answer to the conundrum and that is the WoW factor.

Ideally, it should consist of 20 people at the side of the road and drive a car past them. An MGB will not turn one head, a Porsche may turn one, a Ferrari 308 may turn a few more, a Jaguar Series 1 E Type may get 15 but drive a G Esprit Turbo past them and you have 20 heads watching the car.

What I think should be put in ALL Classic Car Magazines, where they list all cars and their values, is a "Classic" rating or WOW factor.

This rating should be out of 20 for each model and be compiled by all accredited Motoring correspondents.

Roger - I made a mistake the old picture of my Daimler double six and my wife's XJS were from 1989 - 20 years ago not 10. As far as longevity in current Jags, my XJ6 is 15 years old with 150k on the clock, it runs beautifully and everything works. In answer to the other Roger, I do agree that the Esprit has a wow factor like nothing else. tonyc

of course modern cars will become classics. I'm sure enthusiasts down the decades of asked the same question about current cars on sale. I remember seeing an article about the road going GT40 in the 60's they virtually had to give them away, Full price they were

I still do not think that any car made in Japan will ever achieve the real classic status. I am still not impressed with the Datsun Zs nor the GTR. They just do not have that Classic look about them

Roger I think you will find that the 240Z is recognised as the first Japanese Classic Car,and quite rightly so in my estimation

greenman

logo_01-2.jpg

The 'complicated electronics' is a bit of a non-issue. Most kids these days carry around a phone with more computing power than NASA could ever dream of back in the 60s.

If a car has numerous ECUs that need interrogating, you just buy the appropriate software and plug it in. I use a sophisticated system to talk with my Range Rover, it's a necessary tool in the same way a 13mm spanner is the correct tool for undoing a 13mm bolt.

Instead of mig welders, which are the staple requirement for today's Classics, we'll be using laptops to repair the future Classics.

I still do not think that any car made in Japan will ever achieve the real classic status. I am still not impressed with the Datsun Zs nor the GTR. They just do not have that Classic look about them

Roger I think you will find that the 240Z is recognised as the first Japanese Classic Car,and quite rightly so in my estimation

greenman

So the 240Z is rightly recognised as a classic from Japan, that country that will never make a real classic? :rolleyes: I'm afraid you've lost me there.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The Magazine Practical Classics has put the cat amongst the pigeons as far as I am concerned. How the hell can a Hillman Minx or a Ford Popular ever be called a Classic.

The 240Z may or has become collectible, but never a classic. Same with the Datsun SSS and also the Mazda RX-2

The only car that could achieve the accolade, in my humble opinion, would be the Toyota 2000GT. Perhaps it is because of its association with the one Bond movie. Pity they never went in to full production with it.

If a car has numerous ECUs that need interrogating, you just buy the appropriate software and plug it in. I use a sophisticated system to talk with my Range Rover, it's a necessary tool in the same way a 13mm spanner is the correct tool for undoing a 13mm bolt.

Instead of mig welders, which are the staple requirement for today's Classics, we'll be using laptops to repair the future Classics.

But for welding jobs you have to admit it would be better to use a mig welder?

:D

I agree. My Elise is on it's 3rd ECU. Not due to failures, just due to upgrades. It's a ten year old car and the ECU's you can buy now are better than when it was new, in 20 years who knows what wonderous interactive ECU's will be available for cars made decades before?

I think electric gizmos built into the dash/leather might be the issue, Things bespoke and part of the trim. Everything can be mended if you have the dough, something man made can always be fixed a man (or fixed for a lady by a man). Cost will dictate stuff like that, and the longevity of some of todays cars will i'm sure be ruled by being able to maintain their electronic gizmos. Plenty of Astra GTE's found the scrapyard sooner than they should have once the digital dash became twice the value of the car.

:rolleyes:

I also recon the 300ZX will be a future classic. Prices are rock bottom at the moment, but it's such a beautful car and it has twin turbos! :wub:

Clicky

More recent future classics I thnk will be the Aston Vanquish, Golf R32 and Ferrari 550 Maranello.