Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bits N Bobs on the M23 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bits N Bobs on the M23

Driving home after testing my new dump valve, I was doing about 80-5 in the 3rd lane when I heard a bang and clank sound. 3 Sec's later the rear right hand tyre was flat and the car became a little hard to handel. I then had to fight to get in the the hard shoulder as the other drivers where being git's.

Once I got home I looked to see if I could see the damage to the tyre. I have a big hole and I hope they can fix it, and the wheel arch has chips taken out of it where the object bounced around.

Where on earth do these bloody bit's N Bob's come from who on earth would do this..

20090225_0809thatcher_motorway_w.jpg It was her wasn't it!!!

0801Rubbish-Home%5B4%5D.jpg Shes saying this lot goes up to here.

sig.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,sorry to hear about the damage to your car...

If you have a BIG hole in your tyre,no reputable tyre company will repair it.

Would you want to trust your/other life and treasured Esprit to a less than perfect tyre...?

May have to bite the financial bullet and get it replaced mate....! help.gif

Naturally for those of litigious mind, the M23 is a private and closed test track :)

And there was I assuming he was talking kph. :)

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Looks like you got quite a few miles out of that one, Travis...!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I used to love driving the M23 when I had my Lotus, except I came within a whisker of having a rather nasty accident once getting on at the Hickstead junction, failed to remember the sliproad northbound goes from 2-1 lanes and is blocked by a big-ass curb. I misjudged the distance by a long-shot, and the coach I was overtaking smelt brake-pad, that's for sure!

That looks like quite a catastrophic failure of the tyre, could've been a lot worse! Glad you're ok.

Slip roads can be fun...years ago I was joining the M4 elevated section en route to Heathrow..following a Ford Anglia (shows how long ago it was!) up the sliproad... he was looking over his shoulder at the approaching traffic,not looking where he was going....I could see what was going to happen..sure enough, the crash barrier on the left came in as the slip road ended and he drove straight into it..bounced off it, right across the road, bounced off the right hand crash barrier and ricocheted into the side of an airport coach!! I'd hung back watching this, so avoided getting involved, and once he'd dropped back behind the bus I overtook and whizzed off to the airport!!Amazingly, no other vehicles involved and nobody hurt..just one rather shocked Anglia driver.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Looks like you got quite a few miles out of that one, Travis...!

I did but the tire started falling apart while on a cross country trip (remember one 2000mile round trip is 1/3 of the life of these tires!!)

the tire started falling apart with 900miles to go! :animier:

That last 900miles was nerve racking!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Slip roads can be fun...years ago I was joining the M4 elevated section en route to Heathrow..following a Ford Anglia (shows how long ago it was!) up the sliproad... he was looking over his shoulder at the approaching traffic,not looking where he was going....I could see what was going to happen..sure enough, the crash barrier on the left came in as the slip road ended and he drove straight into it..bounced off it, right across the road, bounced off the right hand crash barrier and ricocheted into the side of an airport coach!! I'd hung back watching this, so avoided getting involved, and once he'd dropped back behind the bus I overtook and whizzed off to the airport!!Amazingly, no other vehicles involved and nobody hurt..just one rather shocked Anglia driver.

There's something Top Gear could try, Ford Anglia pinball!!!

Back on-topic though, so out of the aforementioned tyres you only got under 10,000 miles use? Is that the norm? My Esprit did 7000 miles before I mullered it, and the tyres were barely worn (they were new from purchase)

Edited by Tim Shaw

Some esprits (due to some very low mileage) have seemingly looking good tyres that will have degraded by 50%+ off how good they once were. Seeing some of these 150mph cars rolling on ten year old Goodyears is pretty scary when you think (would you trust the rubber of a ten year old bungee jump rope? do you think a new one would have better rubber quality?).

The tyres on my Elise are dated at two years old, the compound will never be as good as a new set now and i might well replace them this summer.

Bib's is the man, he's got some proper info on just how poxy old tyres get, it's scary stuff.

:animier:

I'd not drive my Esprit how I do on tyres that were more than a couple of years old, I'd not drive it at all on tyres more than 3 years old. Ask Jonathan how he got on with his tyres that are older than my dad, it's not a fun or indeed safe proposition.

As luck would have it, I get through a set of rears every 9-12 months anyway! I recently changed my fronts with 5mm tread as they were getting on and the rubber was hardening very quickly. Tyre degradation is exponential, once they've started to turn you need new ones asap. There is no way I'd risk my life with unknown rubber but so many people do.

Change your tyres often, it's your only contact with the tarmac!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I'd not drive my Esprit how I do on tyres that were more than a couple of years old, I'd not drive it at all on tyres more than 3 years old. Ask Jonathan how he got on with his tyres that are older than my dad, it's not a fun or indeed safe proposition.

As luck would have it, I get through a set of rears every 9-12 months anyway! I recently changed my fronts with 5mm tread as they were getting on and the rubber was hardening very quickly. Tyre degradation is exponential, once they've started to turn you need new ones asap. There is no way I'd risk my life with unknown rubber but so many people do.

Change your tyres often, it's your only contact with the tarmac!

Methinks it's time to change the rears on my Teg!!

Sideways is the way forwards in an Integra Type R, they are one of the most tail happy front drive cars i've ever driven.

Left foot braking and sliding all the way!!! Yeehah