Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
No Spark :( - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

No Spark :(

red vtec

It looks like I have no spark from the plugs since replacing the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Which is a bit of a bugger!

Could this be caused by having the timing way off? I have rechecked the rotor arm, dizzy cap, leads etc this morning.

I'm learning as I go along.

Thanks

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing will not effect the performance of the spark, only when it happens. Back to the start, take the coil lead off the distributor and try to start the motor with the lead held (insulate your hand) near an earthing point, the spark should jump the gap, from your prior posts I believe it will. Then you will have proved the spark is getting to the distributor. Is it a new cap? You have had the cap off so something has gone awry since. Is the plenum off, if not, sorry take it off, one of things that is difficult is to get the cap aligned properly, any doubts and you need a visual check, let us know.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

Chris,

Even if the timing is way off, you will still get a spark. It just may be at a time when the engine simply won't fire. However, unless you actually moved the dizzy everything will still be in the same spot so the timing should not have changed.

There is a small wire that runs through the dizzy body, well there has been on every dizzy car I have ever owned, so I don't think it will be different with a lotus. If you have dislodged the wire that connects to it outside the dizzy when replacing the arm and cap, that'll certainly stop your spark. The other thing that can catch people out is the lead from the coil to the dizzy cap centre. You mat have replaced it correctly on the cap but if you have pulled on it at all you may have broken the connection back to the coil. Check that too.

How do you know you have no spark? Simply because the car won't start? Have you put a spare plug in a lead and earthed it to the block and watched to see if it sparks when the engine is turned over?

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Chris,

Once you prove that the coil has power ( utilising Rogers method ) and that it is coming to the distributor. next would be to check that with a lead on a plug but the plug out and touching an earth source that you get a spark across the gap. Mind your hand. Lots of voltage but low amps if you get zapped so no damage done. At first use a source of earth other than the engine. if that works then try the engine as the earth source. Recall that 80% of electrical issues are earth related not positive like most people believe.

Sure you are very frustrated at the moment but step back and take a moment. very simple electrical circuit. Break it down. Also check all of your positive and earth connections from the battery to the coil. I have seen cases ( ironically in a Honda Prelude ) where the main lead on the battery was half split thus causing an intermittent issue. TIming being off would only cause a misfire not a lack of spark.

is the 2 pin plug from the distributor to the ignition still connected?

Its easy to knock this appart when fiddling with the distributor and is the most likely suspect considering....

Check it and report back :sorcerer:

Chunky Lover

Check your pickup coil in the distributor, it can cause the symptoms you describe. Due to the plate it is mounted to moving back and forth when the vacuum advance/retard operates, the wires to it are constantly flexing and can be broken internally.

You can see another owner's write-up about it here:

clicky

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

• Gold FFM

Chris,

Always a great and knowledgeable group here...makes it a great place.

As discussed on the phone earlier here is the link to help you learn a bit more on automotive electrical.

basic automotive electrical fundamentals

This gentleman does a great job in his explanations of things. Was helpful to my brother. That way he could understand half of what I was talking about too!

Happened to me once, on a Rover V8.

went round checking all leccy connections, earths, double  checked my marks for timing, spent all afternoon looking over

Then a mate came round and solved it

forgotten to put the rotor arm back on!!!!!!!! so obvious, so blindingly obvious, I didn't see it DOH !

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

Thanks for the replies,

After speaking to Christopher (sorry about that my friends turned up with two youngsters in tow), I have followed Rogers advice and tried to see if I have a spark from the coil it would appear not :sorcerer: I think this could be the problem.

I pluged a spare HT in the lead and a spark plug that I earthed back to the battery and could not see a spark, So looks to me like the coil has gone. Looks like it may just be coinciedence.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Wild stab in the dark - you haven't perchance pulled the dizzy out a little, thereby disengaging it from its drive? Seen it happen many a time.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Chris,

I hope you have a multimeter or what I call an Ohmmeter...if so make a quick check...all lines removed from the coil...check the Ohms resistance between the two side terminals, this is measuring the resistance of your primary coil.

It should read between 0.75 - 0.81 Ohms

Next measure the Ohms resistance between either side terminal and the HT centre terminal, this is measuring your secondary coil

It should read between 10,000 and 11,000 ( 10K-11K ) Ohms

If not you have definitely ruled a bad coil. And yes most likely if that is the case it is pure coincidence.

And no worries on the friends showing up in midst of the call. I am sure you expected them and my call was unexpected...

You can all sleep well, now the nights of you worrying over my issue and not being able to sleep are over.

Sparky was correct the drive shaft for the dizzy had become dislodged, it is a terriable placement and a complete pain to change, fit and time up but I have now done it, it is now bang on.

I found a large selection of swear words was the best tool. I have now arranged a hit on the engineer who placed the distributer in its location.

Thanks for all the help on here and on the phone

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

See it's called a rotor because it's supposed to rotate thumbup.gif

All hail the great sparky animier.gifanimier.gifanimier.gif

Glad you found it, get some sleep.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)