Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Do Rad fans stay on? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Do Rad fans stay on?

red vtec

Should the Rad Fans stay on when I switch the ignition off? I noticed mine do not. But on other cars I have the fans continue to work for a few minutes if the engine is hot to help cool it down.

Thanks

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to answer no, when I realised my fans almost never come on, even in the hight of summer, (and it gets hot here) I need to be stuck in traffic for some time before the fans come on and then as soon as you are free again the temperature drops and the fans go off, so I don't think I have ever turned the engine off with the fans running. Not very helpful but I would check the efficiently of your cooling system. (mine has been flushed and the radiator re-cored)

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

unlike front engined car - the electric fan would actually continue to cool the engine bay for some time after the car is turned off - our rear-engined cars would not have any benefit to leaving the fans running unless we were using an electric water pump and circulating coolant from the rad (where the fans are spinning) to the engine bay....

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

On any car that runs the fans after the engine is switched off the water pump will be running to circulate the water rather than it relying on a breeze on the block. The problem is that when you switch a hot engine off it actually rises in temperature as the water and block superheat each other ie you've lost the effect of the cooling circuit working.

It was introduced to the Esprit on the V8 which is a very hot engine under any circumstances. I think it's active for up to 15 mins after you've switched the engine off.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The Carlton (and I think the Elan) have a post shutdown leccy waterpump. The 4cyl Esprits don't, but the V8s do, so there's no advantage for a 4cyl car to have the fans running after shutdown. The V8s can sometimes energise the fans for a while after the engine is off, so mind your fingers!