Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil stat? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil stat?

Rich H

Is there an oil stat in the system or does the oil always go through the oil coolers?

Ta

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does that not seem odd?

An oil stat will get the oil up to temp much quicker...

Anyone got one fitted?

Well yes and no. It's a sports car and as such drivers are supposed to treat the engine well and let it warm um properly. Therefore a thermostat is useless and would only add weight and cost which is contrary to otus's DNA so to spoeak ;)

However people who use it more like a daily runner on short trips, may think otherwise. I know a of an SE which had one fitted because of this. The owner lived in a cold area in northern Germany, used it to go to work and was upset that a significant part of the journey was spent warming up the oil, so he pretty much could never put his foot down, which he he found frustrating . So he put a thermostat and he said it considerably quickened warm-up of the oil. So apparently it's worth it for short trips.

Edited by troutrou

Sounds like nothing to loose if I can loose a couple of kg! :sorcerer:

I'll have a look! Cheers!

Rich

I just put one in 2000 miles ago during my engine rebuild.

I bought a MOCAL MOCTB3

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

The reason that I put it in is because I do tend to drive in cold weather, and the car takes forever to heat up. The oil-thermostat opens at 82C (optimum operating temp for the Esprit), and does seem to get up to temp sooner now.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I had a talk with Nick Adams at the Lotus Gathering in 2007 in Aspen CO. We talked about the 2-Eleven, and how they have the oil-stat and acusump. He thought in my situation that it was a good idea to have the oil-stat.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I don't see a down side.

It warms the engine up faster but retains the oil cooling capability on demand.

Also prevents over-cooling of the oil if it's a particularly cold day.

Am I right in thinking from your pics that the oil cooler sandwich plate isn't actually bolted on at all but held by the oil filter?

Rich

Edited by Rich H

correct, the original Lotus oil cooler sandwich plate is not bolted on, it is held on by the oil filter.

The MOCAL MOCTB3 is bolted on by the gold colored adapter, which fits the Esprit perfectly, once that bronze adapter is removed.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Ideally don't want to be plugging in 240V outside, 12v for the battery maintainer only.

OK I can cope with that. I'll get one ordered while I'm still sorting things out.

Cheers!

Ordered - I'll drop the adapter things in the lathe and open the up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted today - removing the couplings was a pain the top one was stuck hard. The rest were fine and the central extension piece was finger tight!

Word of note though the connections on the mocal plate are the opposite way around to get the same flow through the filter otherwise no issues fitting it at all.

I'll report back ont he efect it has once I'm back up and running- water pump to fit once it comes back fromt he rebuild and a clutch MC to rebuild - again :thumbdown:

??? I have them as standard on my S4....

Might be but it'd be tight unless you can fit them in one unit.

................!B)!yB0!EGk~$(KGrHqYOKm4EvyFnk,T3BMLk7E,nL!~~_35.JPG, Have 1988, 180X , and I don't have an oil temp on mine. I'd like to replace stock gauge with dual oil pressure and temp. This is 19977-78 Nissan 280Z.

OR...

I may hook it up to this pretty slick aircraft gauge.

!B3MZC!!Bmk~$(KGrHqV,!hME)7y7RpU2BMlVlDN(HQ~~_35.JPG

So, could you tell us which holes in the stat plate you have enlarged?

MrDangerUS

Ah OK.

None of the holes were opened up. The fittings were perfectly big enough as standard IMO. The central bore was around 1/2", the same as the hose end fittings.

By the way the aircraft gauge will need 28V DC to work :detective: