Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel Tanks - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel Tanks

Amongst many of the things on my to do list, I removed the fuel tanks expecting to find them riddled with rust. Surprisingly though they appear to be in very good conditions except for a tiny bit of surface rust around the bottom joins. In order to prevent any future problems I was considering on getting them powder coated (I know a friend of a friend who can d it for quite cheap. Before I did I just wanted to check that you can actually get them powder coated as every where I've looked at on t'internet talks about repainting them.

You help would be appreciated,

Cheers

Hugh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why you couldn't . Powder is great stuff. I imagine the only reason people paint them is because they can do it with a spray can in their back yard. Lotus guys, ya know...

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I agree with Franc, blasting them will probably leave them looking like colanders whereas you only need to give them a good wire brushing before painting & it's not as though anyone will be able to see how good they look powder coated, also one of the main advantages of powder coating is it's toughness which just isn't an issue as once the tanks have been fitted they're not going to take any knocks - it's just rust prevention.

Use Por 15 or just some Hammerite.

Cheers,

John W

remember rust will always out. ...With respect to all the products on the market unless the rust is COMPLETLY removed it stays active , it may be retarded but it a'int gone !!!!!!

Shot blasting tanks is the best option , Yes it will blow holes where they are weak. but this will allow you to assess them properly. If really bad get welded by expert or buy new. If pitted with a few small holes get the lead loaded. when fixed paint or powder coat to your liking, At least you will be driving your pride and joy knowing the fuel tanks are safe not wondering if the products you used actually are doing what they say on the can ??????? . It may be a pain in the ass to get these tanks out , but once done properly you should never have to do it again.

Eperience has taught me that the quick fix usually does not last long.. :wallbash: ....If a job needs doing , do it well... :thumbsup:

Edited by CHANGES

Hi John

That looks a really good product, not sure if we can get it in the uk, You do however still need to remove your tanks and i paid £20 uk to have mine blasted, Lead loaded pitting and pin holes then epoxy coated. Job done no rust under £30 uk Circa $43 us.

Not to say that at the time i did this i would have used that product aswell if i had known about it. . i do belive in belt and braces on kit that is a bummer to get at if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the info will file it for future ref.

Dave

When i did my left hand tank last month, I had the tank sand blasted, the pin holes welded up and then a whole new bottom fitted over the top of the original. The entire tank was then POR-15'd on the outside. Belt and Braces, with the added advantge of knowing there's nothing on the inside that might start peeling away later. The workshop that did the repair for me only charge AU$ 150 which is about UK 70 pounds. Well worth it for peace of mind.

Too many Toys are never enough !

• 7 months later...

For US Brothers and Sisters,

Very good fabricator / tank restorer

Moyer Fuel Tank Renu

2011 Western Avenue

Greensburg, PA 15601

1-800-328-9550

http://www.gas-tank.com/Lotus.htm

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

I had my tanks shot blasted, and although they appeared sound before, on one of them the bottom was pinholed so needed welding up. Then I used the por-15 product exactly as the instructions state...with the marine clean product and the phosphate etch as well before the actual tank sealer. And The job turned out well. Im happy to believe they will last a few more years yet, but Ill change them on the next engine out service anyhow for stainless ones to ensure future reliability. Yes it was the quick fix this time, but done properly.