Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alternator

Glyn Wise

Well the alternater has given up the ghost,Ive taken the old one off being a Valeo 14v 90 amp.

Are there any other direct replacements ?

Also the ajuster slide is made of Nylon/Plastic material,is this standard ?(see photo)

Can I make up a metal one as the old one seems a bit flimsey.post-11349-0-34859700-1297783993_thumb.j

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of good reasons for it being Nylon.

Reduced issues of vibration causing fatigue and if something goes wrong the belts that it runs past will not be destroyed immediately.

Once the alternator is tightened it should be held securely by the pinch pivot bolt so the fact it's flimsy isn't an issue.

My 84 has a solid metal one and has not caused me any issues in 15 years. However, as Andy suggests, I assume the nylon one is an 'improved' version following development of the vehicle - Especially as its tooling must be more complex than a simple machined piece of mild steel...

think i posted a while back i got a replacement cost about 80 pounds but they changed the pully wheel for the one off the valeo unit while i wated company was called rotec in sutton-in-ashfield (mad as hatters) cant remember the make off hand

It's Oogies turn to boogie

New alternator fitted what a difference mainley with headlights.

I went for an exchange unit from Frenco Service Replacement Ltd ,Banbury.

Ive now got a Motorola 106066 witch came out at £216......nice

Fitted a treat and Ive used original adjuster,bit of swearig and some Bensons helped!!!

Is there an easy way to tensionning the alternator belt other than jsut tugging on the alternator which seems very unsatisfactory...?

Ta

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Rich,

I use a long pry bar between the block and alternator from the top side of the alternator. You can do it from the underside of the alternator as well but it makes it tough to tighten the tensioning nut at the same time.

1995 S4s

Will hae a go -ta.

Mine squeals for the first 5 miles or so when all the electrics are on (Lights/fan/demist/etc).

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

I do it the same way as Jim.

Loosen alternator adjuster and the tip pivot nut. prybar between oil pump housing and alternator with the prybar hooking under the alternator housing. Gently but firmly pry the alternator up tight agains the belt with the left hand on the prybar while tightening the adjuster bolt with the right hand. then don't forget to tighten the pivot nut.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

post-11349-0-08675400-1298632403_thumb.jYea Rich same as the other guys but i used a suitable length of 2x2 soft wood

to lever up alternantor bit tricky but with my new set of spanners from Halfords,

well i tell a lie got them for the bird for christmas..... she ll never use them!!!!!!!

Edited by Glyn Wise