Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evo's Chris Harris on Ferrari - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evo's Chris Harris on Ferrari

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a massive surprise that manufacturers want their cars to show as best they can but one for straights and one for corners and crashing it for an excuse to take it home and rebuild it for a specific track, is that not going a bit too far?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Ferrari have always done this Bibbo. It's not exactly an industry secret and quite frankly it sucks. But journos seem to be scared of upsetting them for some reason and when Ferrari boo hoo like babies, they boo hoo like babies.

I agree but it is in almost epidemic proportions with Ferrari.

But being PC isn't limited purely to them. I've had an insight into "Car Mags" recently that has opened my eyes to the level of bull they pass out. One of the most respected magazines has a policy not to bad mouth any manufacturer because it doesn't want to upset their main income stream....Advertising. As such it tries to avoid negative comments and even in group tests everything wins something!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

This is the thing though - Chris is right in that Ferrari don't make a bad car.

They don't need to lie and they don't need to be the best at everything. There will always be a better car somewhere down the line but it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter.

It does somewhat concern me that we have the ex head of brand management from Ferrari now at the helm. I know Lotus have (like everybody else) been a little liberal with facts and figures in the past but I'd hate to get to the ferrari like stance.

Maybe that's why he left Ferrari and moved to a more confident company.

Certainly seems a ridiculous level of control and manipulation bordering on fraud. I know press cars are specially prepared but I thought that nowadays, that meant that they were put together properly and performed as they should, not that they were tuned up and tweaked to match the test.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Perhaps this could by why Bahar has come across in the past as a little high handed with Journos; part of the previous company style. There does seem to be a definite "hearts & minds" campaign at the moment. Whether it is an effective strategy or not, as an enthusiast I will not enjoy thinking "arrogant twat" when the CEO is a bit prickly

• 1 year later...

Lovely story!!

Hope it comes back and bites.

Just in the back of my mind though do I recall some sort of road test 'drag off' in the eighties when a Countach was put up against a 911 Turbo,a Aston Vantage and a 'G' Esprit turbo. The Esprit broke down in a pall of smoke after setting off like a scalded cat and never made the final.

I am not saying that in order to win Lotus had 'turned the wick up' !! - but i think that was the implication.

Recollections anyone?

Mark

I thought the filming, especially some of the angles was fantastic.

It's interesting how he notes that the rigidity (in comparison with the proper roof) is almost there now.  From my perspective this is what makes the Elise such an interesting car - that Lotus has had that rigidity for well over a decade.

Almost all my favourite Ferraris are front engined V12 GTs.  I seem to remember reading that's what Enzo preferred as well (for the road).

After seeing quite a few of them in the flesh in the ski resorts here in Switzerland this winter I think my favourite of their current range of cars is the FF.  The shape has grown on me in much the same way as the Panamera hasn't.  Other than that the one with the most interesting option is the California where you can specify..... wait for it.....

A MANUAL GEARBOX!