Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 heater - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 heater

First an apology - I know heater problems have been discussed numerous times but the threads I have searched seem to be mostly on S3 cars which look different to mine!

As the interior on my S2 is out it seems stupid not to address the heater problem. The slider controls were not connected to the heater (or anything for that matter) but the flap control is broken anyway. I have no idea how functional it is (not very I would guess by the fact it was not connected), but really I need to get it out.

I have been trying to get my head around how it all works with the help of the threads and my workshop manual. If anyone can help/confirm any of the below I would greatly appreciate it!

1) It sounds as though the cooling system runs through the heater unit, so when I remove the pipes I am likely to need a bucket to collect some liquid. Is this correct?

2) I have removed the cover in the front compartment to access the blower unit. I can't quite see how its fixed, it doesn't look like its fixed to the bodywork. Is it bolted to the heater assembly itself? Do I need to seperate both before removal? For clarification a photo is below:

post-5743-0-31164700-1298760692_thumb.jp

(Discovered the bodyshop painted the car with the cover in situ!)

3) Whats the best way of testing both of these once they are actually out of the car? Depending on weather the flap control can be replaced I may need to get a replacement heater assembly anyway. A brief summary on how the thing actually works would also be useful - I have read it always runs hot and the flaps just re-direct the air, but I don't know what part the liquid going through it does.

4) Any suggestion for what sort of cable to use to connect the controls up? They would have to be pretty taut to have any effect?

Half of me is wondering if I should just live with this and wind the window down/use one of those cheesy smeg things to wipe the windscreen if it steams up. There is heatsoak into the cabin anyway so I am not worried about being cold. It just seems sensible to address this whilst I have the chance.

Idiots guides are welcome - I have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now!

2nd apology - To Mat K if you end up reading this - we did have a chat about the heating just after I got the car but that was nearly 2 years ago - I remember you mentioning the flap control was broken and using cable ties to redirect air, but not much else!

Edited by Nelly9000

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Neil

Yes in your car there is a permanent hot water flow through the heater matrix, and all adjustments are done through changing airflow via moveable flaps. When I had the car, the matrix heated up nicely so there was def water flow.

I can't be definitive but i'd be looking at bowden cables, bit like the ones used on bicycle gear shifts and brake lines. Sadly I think you will find the attachment points to the various flaps are snapped off, so a bit of welding maybe necessary.

Talking to others in the past, when the flaps move they open and seal various apertures in the heater box, and originally the seal was helped by a fabric type material round the flaps and apertures (sorry can't find a better way of describing it). This has almost certainly rotted away, so you'll need to look into replacing that. I would have thought some sort of rubber would be good now, but might be too thick?

As far as living with it goes, the car was bloody freezing during winter, but the main prob for me was always, windscreen demisting.

PS be a shame to not sort this after all the other stuff you've done/are doing!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Hi Neil,

Not sure how much help I'll be but here's the little I know about the heating system, not having had it apart myself.

Bowden cables like Mat says are the one's for the levers, just like the throttle cable. They don't have to be taut. The flappy thing is activated by the vacum system and has sticky backed foam strip to seal when closed. My setup re the blower is S3 stylee so I can't be too much help with how your blower is attached. Mine's with a couple of self tappers. The heater matrix is always hot but like you say the flaps redirect the air. Hot air should only come out into the footwell and through the demisters, not through other vents (at least that's what I was told and that's how mine works).

Get the system working! That screen is waayyy too big to wipe the fog off and you don't want the cabin getting damp. Plus if your S2 has any similarity to mine, cold air will happily find it's way in through the door drainage holes, the steering column and the bonnet latches so you'll be glad of whatever heat you can get!

Sorry I can't give you the how to guide!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

The bowden cable from the temperature control lever goes to a water valve to close it for cold air and open it when you want heat. I thought the distribution was controlled by vacuum motors.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Well, after an interesting but ultimately fulfilling morning, its out!

post-5743-0-44376800-1299359399_thumb.jp

Its not in great shape, I am gonna try and refurb it but reckon a replacment is more likely if I can get hold of one...

• 8 years later...

@Nelly I know this is a really old post but Im having problems with my heater unit at the moment. Did you manage to refurb it? Any guide on how I should do it? It looks like I have exactly the same heater unit as you have. i.e. the erlier pre-vacuum system. Mine doesn't work at all. So am presuming both motors are kaput. A PO has fitted a non standard motor  and bodged up the trunking just to get the face vents working. Are the motors off anything else? Has anyone else replaced the motors or refurbed the unit? Any help would be much appreciated.

On 28/02/2011 at 06:19, USAndretti42 said:

The bowden cable from the temperature control lever goes to a water valve to close it for cold air and open it when you want heat. I thought the distribution was controlled by vacuum motors.

can anyone tell me were I find that control valve? My feeling is its above the pedals on a rh drive car. I can feel the pipe going to it getting hot but no heat coming out the heater makes me think the valve is not opening properly.

cheers

C43

7 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

@Nelly I know this is a really old post but Im having problems with my heater unit at the moment. Did you manage to refurb it? Any guide on how I should do it? It looks like I have exactly the same heater unit as you have. i.e. the erlier pre-vacuum system. Mine doesn't work at all. So am presuming both motors are kaput. A PO has fitted a non standard motor  and bodged up the trunking just to get the face vents working. Are the motors off anything else? Has anyone else replaced the motors or refurbed the unit? Any help would be much appreciated.

Lotusbits. The motors were also used on Elite/Eclat of a similar vintage. I think Giorgio has a thread on here trying to source the motors but has struggled to find the original manufacturer so it appears 2nd hand is the only way to go without doing what your PO has done.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete, Thanks for the advice. I DID try Lotusbits for the demister vents but they didn't have any. I didn't ask about the motors! Ill give them a ring in the morning. Are you sure about the Elite/Eclat? I ask because my Eclat has a different set up. So presumed that the motors would be different as well. Cheers.

Heater motors are from Ascona A model look on ebay DE, bought some new a couple of years ago or buy from SJ as they are now available new but very expensive. Note that even if identical the motors are different, one is rotating CW and the other ACW...  

Hi Giorgio,Thanks for the number(s). Nothing is simple with Lotus is it? I'll start hunting! Did you find out any more about  which direction it rotates? And what about the other motor? Did you find a source for the opposing direction motor? Many thanks again. Lez

On 29/10/2019 at 18:50, williamtherebel said:

Hi Pete, Thanks for the advice. I DID try Lotusbits for the demister vents but they didn't have any. I didn't ask about the motors! Ill give them a ring in the morning. Are you sure about the Elite/Eclat? I ask because my Eclat has a different set up. So presumed that the motors would be different as well. Cheers.

Deffo the same, possibly limited to S2 Elitle/Eclat like the wing mirrors. I bought 2 Elite heater boxes off ebay just to strip the motors.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

3 minutes ago, peteyg said:

Deffo the same, possibly limited to S2 Elitle/Eclat like the wing mirrors. I bought 2 Elite heater boxes off ebay just to strip the motors.

Pete

Thanks for the info.  My 'spare' Eclat is a V reg. so might be OK. Cheers. 👍

7 hours ago, peteyg said:

Pete

Forgot to ask, does one motor run clockwise and the other anticlockwise? If not how did you get round that? Cheers. 

4 hours ago, C43 said:

which demister vent do you need, drivers side or passenger side on an S3?

I need the one that fits in the binnacle, which is the same as the passenger side, (on the S1/2) Its long and thin. In not sure what the S3 setup is.

26 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Forgot to ask, does one motor run clockwise and the other anticlockwise? If not how did you get round that? Cheers. 

I need the one that fits in the binnacle, which is the same as the passenger side, (on the S1/2) Its long and thin. In not sure what the S3 setup is.

I think I have a spare. On the S3 it is different between passenger and drivers side. Ill take a photo and post it here.

Like Christian, I believe the driver's side differs from the passenger's. Refer to my picture showing the lot with the Parts Manual page open in the background.

Cheers

Hi all - @Nelly, @peteyg @giorgio67, @C43 and @drdoom. First an apology to Nelly for hijacking his thread. I didn't really mean to. Anyway, after careful consideration (and a few pints in the local!) I have decided to bite the bullet and remove the heater unit with a view to refurbishing it, (with all that that entails!) So besides the demister bits I now need all the heater bits as well, so will transfer this thread and the entries in  Demister - what demister?? to My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

Many thanks for all your help. Please keep it going! I think Im going to need it. :thumbsup: