Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
FRONT BRAKES UPGRADES - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

FRONT BRAKES UPGRADES

If you upgraded your front brakes, could you please share with us the details like, rotor dimensions, diameter, thickness, caliper type and part numbers, prices, etc.,

and how "bang for the buck" did you get.

Some like 4 pot calipers and other don't. I'd like to know your individual experiences and impressions.

Sometimes compromises have to be made. For example, to run the widest possible (?) front wheels (225) I had to use 15" rims. I'd like to keep'em.

I took a good look at Wilwood 4 and 6 pot calipers, but packaging may be an issue.

MrDangerUS

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I maintain it's all about your intentions with the car. If you intend to track the car, then yes you will need to upgrade the brakes, even then it's the length of a piece of string question. I was dissatisfied with the standard brakes, at the 3rd re-build I finally got them working well, the major stumbling block was PO who had used incorrect shims. The brakes are now adequate, not exciting, but they stop the car. So if your dissatisfied at least make sure you're getting the optimum from your current set.

Personally I hate loath and abhor single piston brakes they are a lazy cheap man's compromise, that will always be first to overheat and fade. So somewhere between 2 pot and 6 pot is your preferred solution. I personally doubt the need for 6 pot on a road car even if it tracked, there may be some benefit on slicks, other than that it's probably a waste.

Most important thing to realise is that the brakes that will stop you from 200 MPH at the end of the Mulsanne Straight, won't stop you in time for that kid running out from behind a parked car in the suburbs when the brakes are cold.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

PNM Engineering offers 4 piston front kit PNMJ9982DK (Drilled and slotted Disc Kit ) , which ( I was told) well fits 15" rims.

Has anyone had an experience installing that particular kit?

MrDangerUS

I had the PNM/Hi Spec 4-Pot fronts and now I've moved up to the 6-Pot fronts and 4-Pot rears.

exhaust_320.jpg

exhaust%20(2)_320.jpg

brakes6pot.jpg

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Nice, Very Nice pics!

At PNM, they do two kits that will fit under the stock 15" rims:-

PNMJ9982GK DISC KIT - 4 POT HSP BILLET ESPRIT 85 > (286mmGRVD) £610.00

PNMJ9310GK DISC KIT - 4 POT HSP BILLET ESPRIT 85 > (310mmGRVD) £790.00

Which one is your's?

What pads are you using?

MrDangerUS

I HAD the 286mm discs and 4-pot fronts (the back ones), but now they're 6-pots with 320mm 2pc discs (the red ones).

I am receiving my new hi spec six pots and four pots for the rear. All in shiny red. I will post my progress in rebuilding the suspension. Powder coating etc as the work progresses. I have gone for the larger rotors as I have 18inch rears and 17 inch fronts.

Will keep you posted.

Dave

Hi Spec up look very, very similar to Wilwood's

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/index.html

Compare: http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperListLanding.aspx

My suspicion is that "the same factory in China manufactures ALL of them, only just altering the paint cheme"

Check this 11,218 Results:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=brake+calipers&Country=&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y--- On Fri, 3/11/11,

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!!

I have been to China and I know that they make anything and everything, but 50 -100 times cheaper.

I bought 5 pairs of Armani,Gucci,etc, sunglasses for...$5 dollars and Rolex Tacho watch with all markings and glass bottom for100 bucks. I, probably, overpaid!

MrDangerUS

I belive Hispec are made in the UK in Kent.

I have them on mine

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

There's a list of what pads fit what calipers on their site.

You can use that to cross ref. even more options if you're bothered. I'm using Hawk pads, I believe.

Hey,

I've fitted the PNM 4 pot HI-SPECS both front and rear. The front fits brilliantly under the 15" wheels and that included upgrading to 300mm discs. The rears were more problematic, as I had to upgrade the rear wheels to 16". If you use the OZ Futura wheels its fine however I wanted the original style and therefore fitted the 16" rears from an SE. The rears then needed a spacer fitted as the SE wheels are not as deep as the standard 15" rear turbo wheels. PNM were fabulous and the problem was very quickly rectified.

I only upgraded as I was tied of constantly rebuilding the calipers every 2 to 3 years but I was amazed at the difference in performance. Am using the standard lotus pads as fitted to pete's car and have had no problems with fade at all. Can honestly say its the best modification that I have done for the money, well worth it! If only my other car would stop like this i'd by laughing.

cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there, just got my brakes to bleed, check all the nuts, steering geometry and to fit top links, thought I would share my pictures.

This puts a smile on my face, lets hope it stops better now.

Cheers christopher, I cannot wait to drive it, first trip may be to Brands meeting, I need to find a way to re set the suspension, the adjustable top links will need setting, not sure yet what camber to set and how to check it. Will take some work I think

Dave

Depends when you want to set them. I will be passing on the M11 next week so could drop you the Dunlop camber caster gauges.

Alternatively.

Determine the angle required (from vertical) , do some maths to determine what that equates to in distance given the diameter of the rim.

Get two small blocks of metal, different in size only by the amount previously calculated and then us ea normal spirit level, look to achieve a perfect vertical on the spirit level.