Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Choose Me a Phone - Technology & Gaming - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Choose Me a Phone

Advantage

I managed to kill my mobile yesterday (an old Motorola Razr V8) by dropping it all of two feet onto the carpet so am now on the hunt for a replacement. As you can tell by my previous phone, I'm not a big phone consumer so I'm not up to speed on what's what. I've been with Vodafone since I had a carphone fitted to my Ford Sierra, so I'm unlikely to change networks/price plans any time soon.

Vodafone do offer existing customers the a freebie choice of upgrades but I've only heard of two of them so what do you make of my choices:

Blackberry: 8900 Curve, Pearl 3G, Torch/Torch white or 8520 Curve.

Nokia: 6303, 6700 Purple, C5-03, C5-01, or C3 Grey/Pink

HTC Desire

LG Viewty Smile

Sony Ericsson Elm

Samsung: Monte/Monte Pink, Galaxy Ace or Nexus S/Nexus S white.

I've always preferred a flip phone ever since my Micro Tac but these seem to have died out of fashion, mainly for the satisfying way you can hang up on some one, so unless I get my wallet out (unlikely) I'm stuck with the above selection. Over to you...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one

You can afford to drop this one, and it's doesn't seem like a bad phone, on my shopping list. :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Whilst this is only an opinion, GO ANDROID you'll curse yourself if you don't.

Sony Ericsson is rubbish (I've got one) I don't like LG's production quality on anything.

Check the SD capacity don’t take it for granted, quite a few will only address 8-16 gig.

Get WiFi, so you can use Skype.

All = Huawei 8150

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

The Nokia interface really isn't doing well compared to Android. Go for the Desire - you'll be well made up. :)

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Despite the fact that it looks like a ZX81 and is the size of a shoebox, an HTC Desire Z is on the way. Thanks all for your input. :D

(anyone who's in my phonebook, be prepared for odd text messages or strange silent phonecalls over the next few days as I fumble around with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Any good ?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I've got my sticky paws on it.

(Although, as a side note - WTF is wrong with the service industry in this country? I dropped Vodafone an email yesterday saying "where's my phone?" and they replied telling me it had been delivered to my local Vodafone store on the 19th April! This despite me ticking the "send to home address" box and then no one at Vodafone or anyone at the store thought it necessary to let me know it was sitting on a shelf for two weeks. Numpties :thumbdown: ) Anyway...

It's a strange little device. Completely unintuative in its functionality. Now I quite like touch screens, I've got one in my Esprit, but this one is a bit crap. Activating any of the buttons requires a tap or press of such violence you think you're going to crack the screen. Unless, of course, you happen to just lightly brush the button next to the one you're aiming at - then it will accept that input without question. I've already experimented with browsing TLF via my broadband connection - pointless. It's all there and you can do the whole pinch + expand stuff, but again the touch screen interface makes navigating the pages and clicking on links a frustrating affair.

The slide out qwerty keyboard makes composing texts relatively easy, but to send them you're back to selecting buttons on the touch screen. You can use the little mouse type button on the end of the phone too, but that is almost as random in its function as the screen. I don't have banana fingers but dammmmnnnn...

Ever the self improving luddite, I had a quick look through my phonebook (managing to quickly cancel the call to the AA after attempting to scroll down - frikkin touch screen!) and pressed 'call Home' just to make sure the most basic function of the thing is operational. The phone in the lounge started ringing so I deemed that experiment a success. Right up until it dawned on me that I had no idea how to hang the phone up.

It's currently syncing its contents with the HTC website which will give me time to see how many of the photos etc from my old and broken Razr I can salvage.

(I remember when all this was trees...)

• 4 months later...

I'm getting my free upgrade early in a couple of weeks. Now I'm a big Android fan and now have a honeycomb tablet and the iPhone 5 is out next week.

Android or iPhone? Which should I get? I've got my Android fix through the tablet, I can sync contacts through gmail to Outlook (and ultimately the iPhone) so would I be better off with diversity or linearity?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

What the hell are you talking about Bibs? :lol:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Android

Android

Android

Android

Android

And if you don't like any of them try an Android

But that's the thing.

I've got an Android device at the cutting edge, the OS is advanced of the phone version, I'm running 3.2 so the phone will seem out of date and if I want any Android functionality I've already got it.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.