Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Where have you not been in the UK? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Where have you not been in the UK?

Paul C

Last night we figured that neither of us had seen stonehenge,

so early this morning we fired up the porker and went entirely cross country to the 'henge, rural wiltshire is lovely, in fact if it was not for swindon it would be a half pleasant county.

rsz_dsc02904.jpg

PS, it's well windy, it think i saw 200 people and only one other guy in shorts....

:)

Was thinking what parts of your country have you not seen and would like too?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peanut smuggling I see ?

Loadsa places - after watching the royal wedding I can honestly say I've never been to Westminster Abbey or st. James park, which is kinda strange considering we go away on hols to spain and so on and see these jack churches and Westminster wipes the floor with the lot of them....

Wanna do the south west more and Lake District, I've also dreamed of taking the Esprit to Ireland. Hadrians wall yomp is up there so is the land of my fathers.

PS nice shorts ;)

PPS wtf is this about a bloody porker ? (cant tell if you're assing around or speaking the troof sometimes)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Haha, Wendy and I did the same thing just recently. Stonehenge was cool and lovely countryside.

I haven't been to the Isle of Man or any of the islands around our coast TBH. I'd really like to go to the Shetland Isles and the Isle of Wight.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I've been in UK airspace...even saw London illustrated in lights from 30-odd thousand feet as the plane flew over at night...but I've been nowhere on the ground. Interesting topic, as just last night I was IM'ing with my far-away sweetheart (who has never been outside USA) who was talking about how much she wants to see rural England...much more so than she wants to see the typical tourist stuff in the cities which are the full extent of most Yanks' visits. Sounds fun to me! Not gonna happen anytime really soon, but we'll let you know when we're on the way.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I've also not seen the highlands, which i'm sure would make a good driving holiday.

And i've not been up snowdon.

Or had a Boating holiday.

My work in the oxford colleges has me surrounded by people travelling from all over the world to see what i've stopped even glancing at, it just struck me yesterday that we were surrounded by voices from all over the world at Stonehenge, and it took us just over an hours drive. Which included going though the avebury stones and past a couple of white horses and a medievel barrow on the way there and back. I think a UK break is in order, we have so much stuff and the money goes further.

Lots of places. Never been to Hadrian's wal, Liverpool, Derby, Chester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Brighton, any of Ireland.

Kids have never done the proper tourist run round London or been to Scotland, the Peak District or the Lake District.

Plan is to come back to England this year or next to act as tourists before seeing family.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I agree Paul. We went to Wales and Worcester last year for our summer break. Money was short and neither of us had been there before. We stayed at little gastro pubs and it was just awesome!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Stay-cations aren't that much cheaper in my experience. Hotels are expensive in the UK as it eating out compared to most of the non-Western world - Laura and I went to Devon for 3 days a couple of years back and could have had 2 weeks in the sun, inclusive, for less. £100 for a hotel, £60 for dinner, £20-30 behind the bar each night plus fuel costs (we did 1,000 miles over the trip) and then extras (lunch, afternoon tea (we were in Devon), gifts, trips) all adds up very quickly.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Bibs is right. Holidaying in this country isn't cheap at all and when you try and go for the cheaper B&Bs they are so bad. A good B&B these days is no cheaper than an upmarket hotel.

Holidaying in Europe is very similar as well.

I hate long haul, it really pisses me off spending hours in a plane, but when you get there you've got so much more for your money.

Chunky Lover

Paul I totally agree - theres so much on your doorstep you kinda forget its even there.

I did a boating course a year or so back with Sunsail from portsmouth - cost ~£500 for a week and it was one of the best holidays I had - great people, great instructor.

It is nice to get away from it all once in a while - I guess it depends what you want from a holiday.

There are some great places to go in this country and there are far too many to list that I have not been too. Scotland looks great and I love Wales and the West country.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Paul I totally agree - theres so much on your doorstep you kinda forget its even there.

Sounds a lot like USA. We've got seemingly endless places to see, running the gamut from the old charm of the upper east coast to the western deserts, even Alaska and Hawaii. Most of us have never seen most of our country. Things to check out range from significant history to truly odd roadside geegaws to astounding natural beauty.

And with our Dollar so weak these days, you guys could probably see it for a steal.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I'm not convinced anything or anywhere is "cheap" any more. To be able to get to inexpensive destinations you often have to travel long haul , well from the UK at least, the added costs are there where ever you go.

The UK is can be inexpensive(slight contradiction to my statement above) but you have to pick and chose carefully. Personally I believe its comes down to local knowledge most of the time. Take last years trip to Mat's place in France. The B&B was £25 per night and we where eating out for £15 each which was down to Matt knowing the places to go. Lovely :D

There must be loads of places in the UK that I have not been to yet and looking forward to finding out. Only recently visited and stayed in Burton on the Water in the Cotswold's . Amazing place as well as the Cotswold's in general can't believe we hadn't been before.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Westminster Abbey... st. James park... Lake District.... Ireland... Hadrians wall...

Yep, all places i've never been but people fly thousands of miles to visit!

True you can get cheap flights to some countries, but that's not going to help you see things you have not seen in the UK...

Giants cauesway, thats another one i've just thought of!

PPS wtf is this about a bloody porker ? (cant tell if you're assing around or speaking the troof sometimes)

For once i'm actually being genuine mate:

rsz_dsc02857.jpg

I wanted to change cars and the 'But it must have a Lotus badge' rule had to go as it's stupidly limiting and i don't owe them a keyfob at the end of the day, i considered an S2 Exige a lot but i honestly had what i consider to be the best Elise variant in the S1 111s and it was not a big enough change for the money i'd be spending. So i went on the same 80's icon trip that first nibbled me 14 years ago when i was looking for my first Esprit, and got the 911. It's a nice change and even with the £6k i'll be lavishing on it in the bodyshop on paint and perfection, it will still be within the budget i'd have spent on another Elige type.

Ireland has some amazing sights - I had a brouchure from the boat show of all places for road trips to Ireland.

Considering the amount of Guniess/Murphys/Caffreys I used to drink I do class myself as 1/4 Irish so it would be good to visit my ingested roots.

Heheh cool Beetle, I dont blame ya - if you gone off the Esprit and the Elise then its time for a change - I always liked the 944 / 911 turbo with the huge arches :)

always liked the 944 / 911 turbo with the huge arches :)

Me too, and the 928, but owning a german car was a real tough thing to do and it could only be an impact bumper 911. You can double the cost for a 930 turbo mate, if it was more accesable maybe.

After the Elise and to some extent the Esprit, it's weird to travel totally comfortable and be able to hear each other talk, and get out without rubbing my back, i'd actually forgot that was possible. Plenty of other day trips planned as i get used to the most quirky thing i have ever driven, i lit up the rears pulling out of stonehenge, by accident, which was scarey...

:D

Very nice looking car you have there Paul

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

I'm sure there's hundred's of places in the UK I haven't been but I have to agree it does seem more expensive to stay at home at times. My dad organises a big family holiday last year, we had planned to go to Italy but ill health of a couple of family members meant flying was out of the question.

For the cost of a 7 bed villa with private pool, car hire & flights for 10 days in Italy we got 3 nights stay in a similar sized cottage (minus the pool) in the Cotswolds. We had a lovely time but can't help feeling we could have got more for our money.

For me I'd rather day trips and short stays in the UK and spend my weeks holiday somewhere in the world that's very different from home :)

• Gold FFM

- Laura and I went to Devon for 3 days a couple of years back and could have had 2 weeks in the sun,

Ahh yes, but you don't get Morris Dancers and Battle reanactments in the sunnier parts of Europe! - worth every penny!!!! ;)

I think it's amazing what you can find on or nearby your own doorstep. We were in Cornwall two weeks ago and stumbled accross this lake (pretty sure it was actually an old quarry) but didn't even know it was there until I took a wrong turn on the Moors. Pulled the chairs out of the boot, stopped there for lunch and a sunbathe then set off on a walk around it - didn't see or meet another person for 3 hours! Just great peace and quiet.

photo-38.jpg

photo-37.jpg

Other UK places. Would love to revisit the Highlands. Went once but not nearly for long enough (not that often you see large stags in the wild) and just great driving roads.

Never been to Ireland but only ever hear good things from people who have been.

Somewhere else right on my doorstep I keep promising myself to visit is the Eden Project in Cornwall.

If anybody ever fancys a base and free board and lodgings, 2 miles from the beach, and a long stones through from the Moors, let us know. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Well in answer to Paul question (i.e. the topic of the thread) I have been nowhere in the UK.

In my own country, I have traveled the east coast from as far north as Cairns all the way to Melbourne. I have lived in Gove in the Northern Territory. I have spent time in Darwin and ridden my Ducati SD900 (sold long ago) all the way from Darwin to Perth and back. I have also done that trip from Perth to Darwin and back with the entire family in tow in a Volvo 240 Estate. I have 4WD'd it out of Gove to Katherine as well. I have driven all the way from Sydney via Melbourne, then Adelaide right across the Nullarbor to Perth. The only bit of Australia I have not travelled vehicle wise is right through the Red Centre and from Queensland across the top of Australia to Darwin.

I have not been to Coober Pedy or Ayers Rock. Even if I

I do find it amazing how far people will travel to see something in another country without ever having seen all of their own country first.

Other than New Zealand (south island only). I have never left Australia. I have quite a few countries on my bucket list as does Liz.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Wendy and I love travelling in the UK and I am a geek who spends days examining every guest house, b&b and hotel in the area. I especially love Gastro Pubs and unusual places.

Heres a few I can share with you. All highly recommended:

Cliff and I stayed here to go the Malvern Show. I have since been back 3 times. Absolutely excellent food and drink. They have their own brewery and keep pigs, sheep etc for their own slaughter. They even have a hunting license to go out and shoot Deer themselves. Awesome place and rooms are excellent! Worcester is just up the road for history and museams and the Malvern hills make an excellent walk/pony trekking, biking holiday.

http://www.the-talbot.co.uk/

Aberdovey is an excellent gorgeous village in Wales, well out of the way but a great place to centre your exploration of all the castles and mines, railways and snowdonia explorations. Awesome small hotel. Seafood is amazing!! Room quality brilliant!

http://www.seabreeze-aberdovey.co.uk/

Folkestone is like Dover only posher (at least in the area where we stayed). We were there last weekend for Wendys birthday treat at the theatre there. A couple of nights in this simply amazing guest house was superb! Such lovely people, great place just on the sea, courtesy beer, wine, tea coffee (the real stuff) and homemade cake makes it very welcoming!! And for the quality, rooms starting at £65 is great value!!

http://www.hotelrelish.co.uk/

This ones a regular for me as I stay there every other week while working at head office. If Martin isn't busy you can get the room rate down to circa £60 with negotiation. Now whilst the rooms aren't brilliant, they do the job, have nice bath/shower and are comfortable. The food is brilliant and I have 2 courses for £18-20 (great value). Beer is a little steep but it is the Chilterns and everything is expensive there. Great places to visit from Haunted cave systems to stately homes plus all the normal things you can do on hills (riding, walking etc etc). If you mention my name you may get a similar rate to me!

http://www.peacockcountryinn.co.uk/

ENjoy!!

:lol:

we're quite nice once you get to know us :P

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein