Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'll show you mine, now you show me yours - Page 38 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I'll show you mine, now you show me yours

(Moxie this one is for you.....)

Al,

You're killing me with these photos. I guess you stayed in Kilbride or Torrin? Skye is one of my two favorite places on Earth, specifically the area around Loch Slapin. And I'll never forgive Ian Anderson for not selling Kilmarie House to me, aside from the fact that I didn't have £250,000 to spare and probably never will. Will your friends adopt me?

When Broaster and I were up there last August we tried finding a Lotus for hire out of Glasgow, but no luck, so we threw financial caution to the wind and rented a DB9 and stayed at Kinloch Lodge, where we proceeded to get completely pissed on 55-year old Talisker (when in Rome...). Next day stopped by Kilmarie House...

post-6978-0-54912100-1305325036_thumb.jp

...hiked over to Dun Ringill, then drove on to Elgol, so I guess we took the same route as you.

If you plan on making this trip again I'll be happy to sit in the "+2" part of your Evora.

- Matt

P.S. Below, Broaster on the way to Mallaig. Fear him. If seen, call Border Control immediately as he may be armed and dangerous. Or bombed on Talisker.

post-6978-0-91064900-1305326821_thumb.jp

Or in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary with pneumonia...

post-6978-0-47330500-1305327004_thumb.jp

Edited by Moxie

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Spot on Matt. The cottage is in Torrin just beside the Blue Bonnet Cafe (Well blue something cafe) I didn`t know that was Ian Anderson`s place although I did know that the fish farm in Loch Slappin had been his. House prices on Skye are just mental but it is the holiday home syndrome thing, so no locals can afford anything. :thumbdown: I was stunned at what our friends paid for their wee place. If his was `only` 250K that was a bargain!

Lady Donald is no longer so involved with Kinloch Lodge cooking side but the chef is still there and it is just a great as ever. Our friends go once on every visit to Skye so are termed regulars and the treatment is extra special if that is possible. I usually volunteer to drive that night so I get the blast down from broadford as we are always running late as usual to get somewhere :thumbsup:

If back there also visit Duisdale House hotel which is about another 2 or 3 miles past Kinloch Lodge. Food was equally superb and the Chef is going to go for his Michelin Star so prices will only rise - dammit. Same cost as Kinloch approx. now. He is actually the brother of one of my sons best mates and I remember him not particularly liking much food as a kid and being picky eater but wow has he changed!! - not that I knew that he was the chef until I went to congratuate him on a fantastic dinner! Small world. Just as well I didn`t take the mistress there then as he had Facebooked our son within hours!!

Cheers,

Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I am sure you will be right about the actual assessment being anonymous but maybe you have to put yourself forward to be assessed or some obscure places would never get assessed :whistle: I don`t know. Just guessing. However that was how it was put to me by my son after his facebook chat with the guy so could be completely wrong.

Maybe he is hoping Mr Bibendum will pass by soon :rolleyes: Is he a relative? is your moniker an abreviation of that? What about the physique? Any similarities? :vava::hrhr: If I find myself locked out soon I will know why!

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

If back there also visit Duisdale House hotel

Looks nice! About 20 years ago I stayed at the Ardvasar Hotel, which was fantastic, but I don't think it's run by the same couple any more, and they were great. He was the chef and she ran the admin side. I asked her once if they ever served Ian's salmon and got a 10 minute lecture on why she'd never eat farmed salmon. My favorite memory fro that place was coming down to the lounge before dinner one night to find two gents on earnest conversation, one of whom looked and spoke exactly like the Major from Fawlty Towers and uttered the immortal line, "You see, that's the trouble right there. I just don't think people appreciate the importance of camouflage."

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Rick that looks epic! great scenery and what a great car! been having dirty thoughts about an S4s for quite some time too

Didn`t think you were going to let on where taken but you did last gasp. Thought I recognised but couldn`t name some backdrops and didn`t think Yorkshire. Thought I recognised the rain as definitely Scottish though!

Love the colour. Would have been my 1st choice but my senior management and sign off finance director didn`t want another red car after my red Porsche. (I`ve got Aquamarine)

Could that derelict cottage be on the A939 Lecht Road near Big Erch's place at Gairnshiel Lodge which is right beside a large hump back bridge?

I am sure I can see the roof of Gairnshiel Lodge just sneaking above the trees in the 2nd photograph.

Well done Brian - quite right - 1st two as said - No 3 Spean Bridge (Commando Statue) - No's 5&6 Loch Awe

Only took just over 400 photo's - but thought I would limit to just 5

And your right - if it had been Yorkshire - it would have been bright sunshine

Iain,

The Lecht Road is fantastic and I have used a few locations on it for some photographs in the past.

This is Big Erch's place at Gairn Sheil Lodge where we stopped for lunch on one of our LEGS runs to Tomintoul. Archie's Yellow M100 is on the left and he is also on the forum.

4850257463_e88e2ee015_z.jpg

This one was taken just a bit down the road from the derelict cottage in your photographs and I have used this location a number of times to take photographs of my cars.

4664215429_df3b5d5cc5_z.jpg

4664213279_6afff5e61f_z.jpg

I thought I recognised the Hotel as well, is it The Ardanaiseig?

We were there a few years ago for an outdoor wedding which took place in the amphitheatre near the loch. We stayed at the Taychreggan Hotel which is another lovely hotel if you are ever it in that area again.

It was a very hot day with no wind at all and the men were in kilts so the midges had a field day!

10/10 Brian

It's nearly worth driving somewhere obscure in Scotland and playing - Can Brian spot the land mark........

the food at Ardanaiseig makes it well worth the visit - expensive (in my opinion to stay there) - stayed in the Hotel first time (2 yrs ago) - Boat house this time - and will no doubt visit a 3rd.......

Stayed at Dalminzie House on the way home - hotel nice enough - food good - but still not as good as Ardanaiseig (but quite a bit cheaper)

Now where's that photo of the petrol pump in the middle of no-where with the cow next to it .....that should challenge ya'

Iain