Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wheel Alignment - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Wheel Alignment

Hi All...

I took my 90 Esprit SE to get the alignment done and the guy told me his Hunter machine only goes back to 93. Does the 93 share the same alignment specs as the 90 SE?

Thanks,

Pete

90SE

Edited by Bibs

• 2 years later...

The alignment specs are in the vehicle technical data section of the Service Notes. If you don't have the manual, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the section.

This is for MY 88-92.

1995 S4s

The Hunter laser alignment system that I saw at Big-O tires had the Esprit V8, S4s, and Sport 300 on it.

I think I had them load up the V8 settings and then we did a custom alignment with these settings.
BIG-O%2520alignment%2520%25281%2529.JPG

I have the V8 wheels, and adjustable rear upper links for camber. I went with SE front camber, front caster, and rear toe. And I used V8 front toe-out and rear camber. I like it alot, it has no understeer, but it is a little twitchy in the ruts.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

The alignment specs are in the vehicle technical data section of the Service Notes. If you don't have the manual, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the section.

This is for MY 88-92.

Thanks Jim!

I'm blind :lol: . Specs are indeed in service notes and same specs are in owners manual too.

Jukka

Jukka Angerpuro

You're welcome :lol:

As Travis said, most of the alignment shops I've been to have the Lotus specs in their machines. I would still take a copy and make sure they have the correct ones for your vehicle.

1995 S4s

Biggest problem is that the Lotus specs are in "mm" while the Hunter machines measure Deg.

There is no way to calculate the deg. from the mm without a 3D computer model.

IIRC the '93 SE did have different specs than the 89-92 SE.

The 93 was set up for less understeer I think.

The normal SE toe-in is horrible, maybe safe but horrible handling.
Everything else is fine, caster, camber, and rear toe I would not change.

Here is what the S4, S4s, Sport 300, V8, GT3 manual says
S4-V8-S4s-Sport300-GT3%2520alignment.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 5 years later...

I have the service notes for my early series SE. The toe-in value is "+1.5mm each side +/-0.5mm. Would you have the front toe-in values for the 93 model?

Thanks

Ian

Edited by Qavion

Sorry, Travis, I'm not sure I understand. The link is for the S4 onwards. Is the S4 the same as the '93 SE?

I really can't make any sense of the table. There are 2 unbracketed values, and four () and {}  bracketed values. i.e six toe out values, but only 5 cars listed.

I do not have specs specific to the '93 SE.

I would use the standard SE settings (since your camber is not adjustable), and the standard SE caster, since you do not have power steering or the later upper wishbones that allow greater camber, and I would use the standard rear toe-in settings.

But I would change the front toe to TOE-OUT like the later cars.  I personally run 0.1deg toe-OUT per side, you might want a bit less.  But Toe-in on these cars is not a great feeling IMO.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

What settings should I use on a '90SE with the 17" wheels from a S4 (I think that what they're from) with rear adjustable upper links?

I'm soon to replace all 4 tyres and it would be good to get the alignment done too.

Signature not working...

same as what I said above for a 90SE, but you can play with a little more camber in the rear, up to the V8 or S4s specs if you want.

I like the settings that i went with in post #6.  You may want a tiny bit less front toe-out, or you may like my toe-out.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 5 weeks later...

Copy from posting in G car forum I made.

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Geo_Setups

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Geo_Alignment_Rig_(Home_Made)

Edited following Bibs reply.

The figures given are indeed for the elises / evora.

It is not about the figures but the method of measuring / setting up of the geometry of the car. Further there is also an explanation for converting the toe "angle" in mm to degrees with a handy excel formula.

Esprit Freak

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have to do setting the Wheel Alignment in my Turbo SE'91.

I would use the standard SE settings.

Can I get also an instruction in pdf?

I do not have specific specs :(

Paul
'91 SE

Travis, I drive my S4 on Seattle freeways a lot, I find the toe-out causes the car to dart between the ridges, humps and cracks carefully placed in the concrete freeway surface. Do you experience the same with your settings - I know CO freeways are newer, having just driven them last weekend - much nicer than the washboards we have here. The biggest issue are the truck wheel ruts, the car really wants to climb those hills and valleys when changing lanes.

On the track, turn-in is perfect, nice new surface on the straights, so no issues there.

Edited by Jphoenix13

Continetal Contacts DWX or some sort, excellent tire in the rain. I don't like Continentals much, but these have worked very well. I think the tread pattern does contribute to the issue. Won't be tracking the car much anymore, so maybe I'll toe it in a bit and see what happens. Tires are relatively new, so maybe in a year or so, try a more assymetric tread pattern.

Oh and Colorado roads can be super rough due to the huge temperature swings we get.  We can be -10F one day in Jan and be 50-60F the next day.  breaks the pavement up fast.

I just prefer toe-out.  I even have my Acura daily driver with 1mm toe-out.

First time I drove the Esprit in the canyons here with the original alignment was also the last....  Toe-in on a hair pin turn is no fun.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE