Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Thin film of something! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Thin film of something!

Doulou

Gent's

Changed the oil and filter this weekend after sparky had resealed my cam towers, had a bit of a job getting the old filter off but anyway. I've noticed after a short drive a thin film of what I think is oil covering the new filter, I haven't noticed it before as the old filter was filthy dirty. Any idea's where this might be coming from?

Cheers Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filter definately on tight? They are difficult to get to properly in situ...and did you take the oil cooler pipes off at all when you were sorting out your coolers?

Darren

What he said.

It's hard to get the tight sometimes, especially if it's freshly lubed!

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Did you put a smear of oil on the rubber seal of the new filter ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 10 months later...

All,

I have had a similar problem with the sandwich plate. Whilst I was changing the CC pump; I thought it would be a good idea to remove the oil filter for access. Tried to remove the oil filter, got it free but could not get it out of the engine bay, so decided against it; so put it back on.

Finished the CC pump (with some assistance from Darren (thanks mate!)) but noticed that I was loosing a shed load of oil which appeared to be coming from the sandwich plate region of the engine.

To cut a long story short; I replaced the seal on the sandwhich plate but trying to get the SP back onto the oil pump housing was a huge pain in the ass, as the oil cooler pipes are so stiff that there is not give in them.

Because I could not get the plate on particularly flush to the pump housing; I wound the filter on and used this to press on the sandwich plate.

The car now has very little oil pressure when I crank her (spark leads disengaged).

Has anyone any thoughts with regards to next steps?

Did I do the right thing with regards to winding the filter (with filter wrench) on and using this to press the SP on to the oil pump housing (took a little pressure to get the SP flush against the pump housing)?

Mark, it looks like things didnt go any better after we spoke yesterday! I think its a case of while the SP is attached, get the hoses off, youll have a better chance to get some leverage force onto them to loosen the connections, then remove the filter and plate again. There is something definately not right here, as I mentioned yesterday you shouldnt be struggling to get it all sealed up this badly at all..I think the best practice to to go back to the start..as much as a pain it is its going to be the best way I fear. Without seeing it I cant really say much more, but may be able to get by saturday.

the oil cooler sandwich plate has a flange, visible here

IMG_2695.jpg

that flange has to go behind the bolt in this picture, and over the bump in the casting IIRC.

IMG_2697.jpg

My guess is that is what you are hanging up on.

As for the oil pressure being low while cranking without spark plugs. That is normal, the oil pump won't be able to get any pressure below several hundred rpm. Make sure everything is tight and leak free, and start her up. Have an assistant who can look for a leak, so you can shut her off if needed.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks guys,

The SP is now butted up to the OPH but maybe I should try to fire her up for a few seconds to see if this gives me some pressure.

My main concern was damaging the seal between the filter and SP; having to wind the filter on so tightly.

It sounds like I may get some pressure if she fires up.

If that doesnt work then I will have to pull it all apart as Darren suggested.

What a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well its not a mess mark...unless she pools oil when you fire her up...if its all back together tight try it and.see what happens I guess. Obviously the first sign of leakage shut it down, otherwise give it a second or two for pressure to register on the gauges..

well that large brass threaded thing is what centers the sandwich plate, and the oil filter threads onto that.

IMG_2697.jpg

Yous must still be there or else you wouldn't be able to tighten the oil filter, because if you remove that adapter, then there isn't enough thread length to attach an oil filter with a sandwich plate in place.

IMG_2698.jpg

Could you have put the sandwich plate back on backwards???

There is an O-ring on one side of the sandwich plate that goes agains the pump, and then the other side is smooth metal, and the seal inside the oil filter seals against that.

Side with no o-ring

IMG_2696.jpg

Side with o-ring

IMG_2695.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

As far as I know you can't put the sandwich plate straight on. You have to tilt the inner edge toward the front to clear the bolt in the auxiliary housing as the casting on the side of the sandwich plate locates on the small casting ledge you can see behind the auxiliary housing lower bolt in Travis' top photo.

When I had my auxiliary housing apart to correct an oil leak, I had to tilt the sandwich plate to get it back on and then slightly rotate it until I felt the casting on the sandwich plate locate on the housing casting and then the sandwich plate should slip all the way home quite easily.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi,

The sandwich plate goes on fine but is very loose without the filter; as in, it will fall out of position without the hoses or filter attached.

The SP is on the right way round and the adaptor is present as I can see it and the filter screws onto it but the SP just felt too loose and sloppy and I could not see anything centralizing the SP which means there is a fair bit of latteral movement.

It might be perfectly normal but just seemed a little odd as I would have thought that the SP would have need to be in an exact postion when flush against the oil pump housing.

Without the oil filter it should be able to wiggle a bit, but it should not move radially since the center threaded adapter fits pretty well inside the bore of the sandwich plate.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

What he said, the central spigot on mine was a close fit in the SP.

If you are lucky I might still have my old SP so I can measure it for you. (Or buy a new mocal one with a thermostat...)

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Gold FFM

If your SP is going all the way on, but is still loose or can move sideways, I would suggest that the central spigot that you can see Trevor holding in the pic in post #15 is not wound all the way on to the original thread. Maybe?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
:getmecoat: Apologies fellow mod. Was doing quite a few things last night. It was the auto speel chekcer that did it.