Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coolant smell with heater on - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coolant smell with heater on

Mark0573

Question

Gday guys,

It has recently turned cold in Oz and the heater is now being used in the S2.2.

The heater works great, the only issue is a coolant smell while it is being used. As soon as I turn off the heater it goes away. Any suggestions?

Regards Mark

The coolant level doesnt change, it sits about 1-2 inches below the top of the chamber.

If it is leaking it must be very small. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same smell.

I have heard that some people do get strange smells with the heater on.

Regards Mark

Are you sure it's coolant you can smell, could it be rotting leaves, debris, collected around the ducting ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It could be a very small leak, as it steams off you will get the smell.

I had a matrix do that to me years ago on an old passat. check round the carpet etc to see if there are any stains etc.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Could even be the heater matrix heating something up, until it starts to smell.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I'll go for a tiny weep in the matrix. Any fine residue on the windscreen?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hi guys their is a strange residue, similar to if I smoked cigies in the car, which I don't.

Can the Matrix be repaired or does it require replacing? I've look in the workshop manual for removal. My question is, do I need to remove the dash?

Thanks for your help.

Regards Mark.

It has been reported that the heater matrix is the first part to be fitted during assembly, and the rest of the car is built around it.....I have never even been able to SEE mine...I think I'd start by removing the black cover under the front bonnet, over the heater fan, and see if there's any chance of getting at anything that way. I fear that the entire interior will have to come out......ugh.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

No way John, that's insane! Theirs got to be another way surely.

I think I will take your advice and start with the fan cover and work from their. Has anyone done this job before?

Regards Mark.

• Gold FFM

Heater matrix removal:

Step 1: sit inside the car with all your tools and a week of food and water.

Need I say more?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

We had a family Dodge Durango that passed on though my stepdaughters in turn with a heater core like that (vehicle built around the core). It was lightly misting the windshield with sickeningly sweet antifreeze smell late in it's life. Looking at the work involved I tried stop leak first (which worked for a while until the core became totally clogged and almost no heat came out into the car . It was a shame the vehicle's AC was still blowing cold air at 230K miles on 90 deg F days, but lack of heat is a killer when it gets to be sub zero F around here. One would have to suck out the R-134 and then disconnect the airbag and totally remove the complete dash to get to it. At least there was more room than an Esprit, if one were to attempt the operation but the value of the car said time to donate it. (another thought I wondered if the AC evaporator could be sacrificed to plumb in as a substitute heater core, but I never got that far with cold temps icing the windows and stepdaughter #2 needed something ASAP.)

Edited by comem47

I have just refurbished my heater assembly on my S2 including getting the heater matrix replaced.

I never ever ever want to do it again!!!!!!

I think Molemot must be right, it goes in first and everything else goes on top. The dash has to come out IMO. If you want more details I can supply photos!

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

I'm going to inspect further from the plenum in the bonnet area first. Hope it's a leaking pipe, if it is the Matrix I would appreciate some more info and photos.

Regards Mark.

No problem, let me know if you do.

If it helps I did remember last night that one side of the heater assembly is screwed in place (everything else is riveted), so it may be possible to remove the side panel and pull out the heater matrix. I would guess the side that comes off will be via the drivers footwell but access is obviously a complete pain!

I ended up buying a 2nd hand unit to install as mine was damaged too badly, but I still have it so I can give you some pretty decent info.

Fingers crossed it's a weeping hose.......!

Just took the Lotus out for a drive, cold night, tried the demister, definite film build up and the coolant smell. So Saturday I will investigate through the plenum and if no joy, I will start the removal of the interior. Their was plenty of heat coming out of the vents so it is a shame that this has happened.

Regards Mark.