Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 Restoration - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 Restoration

Hello Jani,

as I am reassembling my S2, so I have not finally solved the problem. The only thing I have done is to mirror the holes in the body beneath the windscreen before painting the car. I have also bought a used LHD wipermotor and a LHD wiperarm as they are also mirrored. But I think with a little work you can change the motor and whiperarm, thats what I wanted to do, but with the time I found on ebay LHD parts for a small price. You can use all Giugaro Esprit (S1, S2, S3 and Turbo) whipermotors, they look the same.

Lutz

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Lutz,

Thank you for your reply and the tips. I have the LHD wiper arm, but if I recall correctly, the parts manual did not specify a LHD wiper motor I did not get one when I had the chance. I guess I will start looking for a one...

-Jani

• 5 years later...

Hello,

after a very long time I managed to work today on my Esprit S2. I disassembled the car several years ago, so some details are a mystery for me. I have some questions:

1. I started to install the headlight pods an motors. I was not able to mount the lamps/beams into the pods. There are 3 metal-rings to fix the lamps in the pod. Does some have a grafis/drawing or images how it is assembled? Which screws are used? Are the parts on the picture part of the headlights pods?

IMG_9053.jpeg.820f0bac9373e8beea929973198c476c.jpeg

2. Unfortunately two bearing housings (inside the pod, part nr. 7 in the manual, I am not able to upload the picture, sorry) are missing, any idea where I can get this parts?

3. Which way takes the 'speedocable' through the body (LHD)?

4. Which way takes the chocke cable go through the body?

Looking forward for any advices, thanks. Lutz

Hello Lutz,

Look at SJS Lotus website for parts such as the pod bearings. There you may also search for other things like headlamp units for which you may find they offer an image which you can copy and then study to understand pieces required and how to assemble. Choke and speedo cables run along the tunnel top and then pass through the firewall/bulkhead into the engine bay. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hi Lutz, best pic I have of the pod assembly, hope this help. The seven pieces on the left in your pic seems to me the spacer to mount the two grilles on the engine bay.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7ce.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

bit by bit I am proceeding with the restoration.

Here the next question: How does the ventilation of the boot work? The RH air scoop fits to a 70 mm air hose, where does this go? Does it go to the engine compartment ventilation or directly to the carburettors intake? Where do the carburettors get their air from?

The LH air scoop fits to a 90 mm air hose, where does this one go? Does it ventilate only the lugagge compartment?

Thanks

Lutz

air scoops S2.jpg

Hi Mate

Not sure if you are aware of this but as you are a Full Forum Member you can use this link and download a copy of the S2 Parts Manual which should have a section which shows  how those bits are all connected

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

From memory, they drop down to the grilles in the side buttress, the carbs then drawing air from the intake vent on the opposite side of the rear compartment after it has been drawn across the rear luggage area. I recall modifying mine to take air directly from the closest vent (on the offside) so I could hear the induction better. I don’t think they left the factory like this as water could be forced straight into the carbs under the right circumstances.

Hi Lutz,

Great to see your progress. Have a look at this to answer your piping question. There's my description and photos. Good luck!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Now. I understand, thanks to all.

Another question: Whats the best way to mount the doors. To complete them and then attach them to the car? Or, mount the aluminium beam to the car and add all pieces step by step?

Does the aerial need to be mounted before the door is mounted to the car? I would like to install an aerial with elctric motor, does someone know which aerial fits?

Thanks, Lutz

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion keep the door as light as possible before trying to fit. Its too heavy with the motors, frame and glass in to adjust without messing up the paint. So just beam and door skin initially until you have it lined up and adjusted. Good time to replace the plastic door beam bushes with bronze ones and new pins. Matt Oxley on here used to sell them.

• Like 1

Fabian is spot on with advice on keeping the door unit as light as possible when offering it up to the car! Having a sound helper, if available, would be a good idea as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

I agree a helper is a very good idea. I did my S1 door on my own and it was very tricky and took ages. Andy on here assisted with the Turbo and it was so much easier.

Edited by Lotusfab

also don't waste your time trying to adjust gap and opening of a bare door shell, once you have fitted the frame, glass , motor etc.. you will see that it would be different, fitting the door seal is also good to check the frame angle on body aperture and to see light gap.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, short update: As nearly all electricts are working now, I am starting to clompete the cockpit. Here some pictures of the refurbished binnacle with the original trim material...

As I changed my car from RHD to LHD I would like to change the switches on the steering column, from which car were they originally, perhaps I can find a used LHD pair? Any tipps are welcome...

Best Lutz

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...