Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
air box to turbo trunking - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

air box to turbo trunking

All,

I noticed that my turbo was not activating on acceleration. On inspection the the trunking which runs from the air box to the turbo was begining to perish quite severely and part of it had collapsed due to surrounding components. On looking at a replacement from SJ's I was amazed that this component was circa £140 not including the foam surround. Has anyone used an after market/replacement part as I see that plenty of auto factors do sell air duct trunking in a variety of different materials?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I've searched, a lot, and can find no alternative. Couldn't even persuade anyone to fabricate it, no matter what the quantity. Yes, it's a lot from SJ but the part is way superior to what's on there now, and will last the life of the car.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It can be done for a fraction of the 140!

I have used 3" dia aluminium tubing and couple of silicone connectors from the eBay. Improves air flow and will never rot again. I used one 90 deg elbow and one straight short piece on the turbo side.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

The hose can be replaced for a few quid using some of these

http://www.cbsonline..._Joiners,b.html

or these

http://www.cbsonline...Reducers,b.html

and some of this

http://www.cbsonline...uct_Hose,b.html

Cheers,

John W

I've been pondering how hard it would be to make hoses like this...

You can buy the hose tapes and wire, the hard parts are the former and the oven to bake it all.

I was wondering about the former as it needs to be hot but not *that* hot so perhaps a wooden former would do? Possibly not, but it's not beyond the wit of man to DIY a former from something that can take the heat.

As for the oven then a stout piece of large bore pipe with a fan oven fan and heating element should do it...

Just need to fix the Esprit, move house and find time to build one now...

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Ive thought about replacing with alloy or stainless and silicon hoses, theyve gotta give a better flow and look good! Only question is, with all the heat undet thete would a meyal induction hosing transfer heat to the incommng induction more so than the original or wouod it be negligible?

Darren

I doubt it'll make any difference when compared to what the turbo is about to do... It's also on the "cold" side of the engine.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

That is true, just thought metal would retain any heat longer thats all, I was thinking changing the before turbo side too. But then again im running better chargecooler cooling so it would probably be negated anyhow.

• Gold FFM

And why not replace it with what's supposed to be there? My opinion is that a silicon lego set would look bloody atrocious.

The SJ item is a huge advance on the original. I've replaced several and they're very good quality.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Just contemplating the cost of the turbo ingesting something it shouldn't, is enough for me to agree with pops, 140 quid is cheap in comparison.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)