Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lets see your axes - Page 12 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lets see your axes

Mark Blanchard

Nice Collection!.  Like the Parker Fly.  Who makes the 8 string and what's the tuning?  Like the f holes on the acoustic classical, too.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The 8 string is Harley Benton which is the own-brand of Thomann in Germany.  Despite not being a ‘premium’ brand, it’s a lot of guitar for £350. ($450).  Neck thru, locking tuners, good quality manufacture and a lovely paintjob.  Gets lots of attention from people wherever i go!  Tuning is:  standard for the thinnnest 6 strings, then an extra low B and an even lower F.  Plays great although the strings are a little closer to each other than on a standard guitar so it’s not so good for fingerpicky stuff as i find my fingers accidentally mute adjacent strings.

the one with f-holes is a nylon string electro acoustic by yamaha.  Another one with a really nice sound that surprises people

• 1 month later...

Finally put my prettier ones on the wall in the home office to make conference calls more interesting:

pXliBmV.jpg

No not a dentist or lawyer despite the heavy PRS bias on this wall

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I only have "one" PRS Signature model #357 from the late 80s early 90s.  I'm also not a dentist, lawyer nor doctor.  Signature models / Private Stock PRS guitars are too expensive these days for the normal musician to acquire so I understand why you mentioned the few professions that could afford these works of art.  PRS stands for Price Really Sucks for most of us.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

I relate to "Price Really Sucks," but when you come across a PRS that's so versatile in tones, so light/comfortable/ergonomic, and so sexy that it's easy to decide to sell a few lesser axes in order to pay for it, then it doesn't suck nearly as much, and you can actually end up with more money than when you started. which is what happened to me. So I sold a Custom Shop Les Paul and a Grosh P-90 ElectraJet and ended up with a a PRS 509 "10-Top" in Blood Orange, and I don't regret selling the other axes for a second because this thing is so fantastic and versatile. It's my #1 go-to guitar.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 9.16.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 9.16.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 9.16.29 AM.png

• Like 1

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Very nice.  What pickups are those?  I wish I had the pickup selector switch.  The sweet switch on mine doesn't really do much for me.  Hoping the two I see on yours do a little more than mine.

Two “poll” questions: (1) what’s the best guitar you have relative to what it cost; and (2) what’s the weirdest guitar you have regardless of cost?

Ok, first guitars with best value and performance:

1.  Fender Heavy Metal Strat only $550 with case.  Play a lot of gigs with this one.  Black on black with rosewood fingerboard.

2. Rickenbacker 330/12 FG only $450 (it was a second due to a slightly bent keywind)  Granted it has the jingle jingle sound, but a great jingle it is.

Now, weirdest guitars:

1.  Steinberger stick guitar with Trans Tremolo.  Cost was about $2k (it was the "it" guitar in the early 90s for a very, very brief time).  Had issues with no head stock.  Didn't know where I was and had to look at the fingerboard too much.  I'm used to looking at the crowd and not my hands.  Only had to look when doing the complicated stuff.  The Steinberger I couldn't do that.  Only got because the bass player had the Steinberger bass. 

2.  B.C Rich - RIch Bich 6 string (about $1,600 - 1981 cost) - very colorful it was Magenta type Purple.  Got it in high school as a Senior and. traded it for Moog Taurus Pedals (the original pedals - not the Taurus II ) about 3 years later.

One more category - weirdest guitars that I would want:

1.  Ovation Deacon (the Shark Fin) - 6 or 12 string.  Only have seen the Breadwinner (low budget version of the Deacon) in the flesh once.

2.  Parker Fly guitar.  Haven't played one yet or even seen one in person.

Ok, someone else turn now...

Edited by bogle
forgot cost on BC Rich
  • Haha 1

The Flying Vs I couldn't handle since it requires standing all the time to play.  I can't really sit down and play them comfortably.  In my high school guitar class, the best guitar player had a white one.  Every practice,  I didn't see him sit down either.  I might be picky (ok pun semi-intended) and silly.  Stop that - that's much too silly to be concerned about.

I do sit down to play the V, do it all the time. But I put my right thigh through the crook of the V, and my right foot on a stool. After that, it’s fine. Ultimately Bill, you’re right, standing up is best, but when you’re as old and decrepit as I am, I struggle to stand for more than half an hour at a time, which makes any gigs difficult, and the following day, I feel like I’ve been run over by a train. It’s at that point where I ask myself why I do it at all.

Margate Exotics.

btw...like your S4s, better than any Flying V or almost any guitar on the planet.  Ok, maybe Harrison's Ricky 12 might be an exception and Lennon's 325 and 325/12 JG Rickys. Ah bloody hell, every frickin  "actual" Beatle guitar and bass for that matter.   Your country has great legends in both music and automobiles.  America, we "might" be 2nd best and we will always know the Britain is number 1 .  

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

I do sit down to play the V, do it all the time. But I put my right thigh through the crook of the V, and my right foot on a stool. After that, it’s fine. Ultimately Bill, you’re right, standing up is best, but when you’re as old and decrepit as I am, I struggle to stand for more than half an hour at a time, which makes any gigs difficult, and the following day, I feel like I’ve been run over by a train. It’s at that point where I ask myself why I do it at all.

The key is to neither sit nor stand, but to crotch...I mean crouch: 

• Haha 1

This is definitely an axe designed for Game of Thrones giants - not mere mortals.

Best guitar- maybe the Parker even though it was £3k because it is just so damn good.  Everything about it has been thought about and designed well.  

Best value- Ibanez RG, bought for £100 from ebay.  Just does everything with ease and very versatile despite people thinking they only do rock. 

Weirdest - the 8 string pictured previously.  Not the easiest to play, or the best sounding (pickups are voiced for djenty stuff) but it gets comments everywhere i go.

weirdest j want - strandberg boden.  Mad shape yet ergonomic, weird neck profile, small and light. Never played one though. 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, thought I’d post up a guitar or maybe two, my wife and I are up to almost 40, it’s becoming an obsession. The latest two were a Burns 64 Marvin Re-issue and a Burns double six. The pic is from a couple of years, I tend to keep a few in the lounge at all times.

F0394C8F-EF7E-4AD8-A65C-DEA2169B715C.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/11/2020 at 09:56, pete said:

Is this book any good to anyone

PXL_20201102_085754274.thumb.jpg.fe0f31cd008e565eff26fbbc73840dee.jpg

No takers? Goes to recycling Monday

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

16 hours ago, Bibs said:

If it's going begging Pete, I've a friend who would really appreciate it :)

It's yours then

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong