Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rev Counter Light? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rev Counter Light?

danielsonson

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

15 answers to this question

Not difficult, just a bit fiddly. All you need to do is unscrew the dash panel (4 screws) and possibly the vent panel on the left and heater controls etc on the right depening on if they are obstructing the dash. There should be enough cable to allow you to pull the panel out far enough to get your fingers in behind to remove the bulb. Can't remember if it is located on the top or bottom of the guage but it's a simple push in job.

Access is much easier if you take off the panels on either side.

I've got some pics of the dash in pieces at home, will post them later.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks Pete and Bibs,

Bibs, that link scared the living bjesus out of me, nearly went down the candle route, although the traditional smell of petrol put me off!

I will attempt the task this week, does anyone know which bulbs they are?

funny, mines out too...

I've always thought about sticking something brighter back there

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Binnacle pis as promised. This is a spare I have but someone's put the dial in the wrong way round...I think. Anyway, rev counter on the left, bulb hole at the top.

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi,just to add my bit.Be careful not to dislodge the other bulbs in the process as they are all on the same loom and pull out very easily,so check that all the lights are visible from the front before refixing,it can be a bit of a nightmare.My turbo boost light was not working when I got the car and after much probing I decided there wasnt one so I cut a new one in the loom only to discover the original had dropped right down at sometime,so now I have an extra light for the footwell if I desire one!!!!!

Paul (84 Turbo and glad of my new rad in this weather!!)

Back in the old Air Farce Days, we used to hold a torch between our teeth....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Back in the old Air Farce Days, we used to hold a torch between our teeth....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I do :( All the lights on mine are out, and haven't summoned the courage to pull the binnacle off yet...

Guest Troy Halliday

You can get LED bulbs that are straught replacements and also come in different colours. B)

It is quite a simple job to replace the bulbs just don't pull the main binnicle section out to far and you should be able to put your hand round the back and change the bulb no probs. While you are at it do the rest the bulbs are cheap and when one goes the rest are usualy not far behind.

It helps a lot, particularly if you are upside down in the footwell (Lotus position) to remove the steering wheel first.

Shouldn't have to remove the binnacle, just the facia panels.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Shouldn't have to remove the binnacle, just the facia panels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do these just un-screw?

Had a look at mine (Turbo, so no vent controls to fiddle with), and I can see two screws on each of the left and right facia panels, and four screws under the binnacle itself.

Would I be right in assuming if I un-screw these fasteners, I can get to the instrument clocks and bulbs?

That's what I do with mine.

I have never had to remove the binnacle but have replaced some of the warning lamps by unscrewing the panel holding the gauges and I have re-built all the switches and dimmer rheostat by gaining access in the same way.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

that was the impression I got :)

these guys taking off the whole binnacle intimidated me :)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Guest Troy Halliday

No dude they are not talking about the whole binnicle block just the dial facia if you prefer to call it that.