Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gopro - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gopro

rogerch

I thought I had made my selection for a waterproof camera, I was on the verge of buying it, when,,,,

I came across this thing called a "GpPro", waterproof case, takes video, records sound, 5mp on still frames, 60 frames per second option in 720p.

I could take it underwater + attach it to the inner glass on the Esprit, and record a run, seems very versatile.

Anyone got one, or experience of ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You can get different clamps for them, stick on your car etc.

There really robust, they are used by TV companies as well. I did see an american version at a trade show that is cheaper but cant remeber the brand.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Was abroad last week and looking at these as they seem to be the weapon of choice for track days. Cheaper here in the UK so didn't buy when I was away. HD2 is the latest version with 9mp and you can buy in 3 different versions. Outdoor, car and surf. This defines the mounts you get with them being helmet, suction or surf board. Not ordered mine yet but on the verge.

Trevor

I'll get around to it at some point.

they are waterproof and the case is super rugged.

Also the wide angle lens is different than what you get on a phone. You can switch between the wide fisheye lens and the narrow lens with the press of the button in the HD2 model like I have.

Most cell phones have a much smaller sensor, so the signal to noise is better with a larger sensor.

The auto white balance and exposure programmed in the GoPro seem to do a better job than most phone cameras and even the other action helmet cams at capturing video when doing these outdoor sports.

The go pro also does 10 shot burst mode and time-lapse modes, mine does; .5s, 1s, 2, 5s, 10s, 30s, 60s I think.

It also does 60fps and 120fps modes.

Camera Optics
  • 2X Sharper Professional Glass Lens
  • f/2.8 Fixed Focus
  • 170º Wide FOV (Including 1080p)
  • 127º Medium FOV (In 1080p)
  • 90º Narrow FOV

Video

• HD RESOLUTIONS:
    • 1080p: 1920×1080, 30FPS
    • 960p: 1280×960, 48FPS + 30FPS
    • 720p: 1280×720, 60FPS + 30FPS

[*]STANDARD DEFINITION RESOLUTIONS

• WVGA: 848×480, 120FPS + 60FPS

[*]High Performance,1 /2.3” CMOS Image Sensor

[*]Light Sensitivity: .84 V/lux-sec

[*]Video Format: H.264 codec, .mp4 File Format

[*]Exposure Control: Spot, Center Weighted

[*]White Balance: Auto

I just did another video with mine

And I used it for some still photos (with wide and narrow lens) and burst shots while on top of a 2000 year old pyramid in Mexico.

You can also turn it on with gloves while it is on top of your head... hard to do with an iPhone ;)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have 2 GoPro Hero HD with all sorts of mounting gear. They are very nice. Normally I put one in front and one at the rear of my Lotus Seven. Then i get nice pictures or movies that can be edited together.

IMG_20120426_113035.jpg

Last summer i bought a MUVI HD camera which is almost the same specification but have the advantage of a remote control that can stop/start recording and take single pictures.

IMG_20120426_115625.jpg

The only disadvantage I see is that the mounting gear is, especially the suction one are to clumsy and too large.

Video quality is fine as long as the light are ok.

With a special housing the 2 GoPro Hero HD can shoot 3D movies whic can be shown on most 3D TV's

/Kim

/Kim 

Proud member of Watford Exotic Scandinavian Team...

I'll try and find what the other version was it was a lot cheaper than a gopro, ESPN are buying them to use so must be ok,

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Having tried and failed with a muvi yesterday I've decided it's all about the mounts. TLF are going to invest in a HD Hero 2 Motorsport with wifi, I think it's a good investment. You'll see the results in the future I'm sure :thumbsup:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I was thinking about getting a GoPro but finally decided on a Drift HD camera. Its smaller in size, more aerodynamic and has a built-in screen, a lens that rotates and a remote.

So far I have been pretty pleased. The use of an external microphone is mandatory. Here's a sample.

Anyone got one, or experience of ?

I have their full HD rig, with all the mounts, but not as much stuff as Kim. The only key piece of advice is to shoot at 60fps in interlace mode rather than progressive so as to avoid the jelly effect during hard shakes.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

In order to minimize the jelly effect:

720p: 1280×720, 60FPS

But if you're really getting bad jelly shaking, try the SD mode:

WVGA: 848×480, 120FPS

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I haven't really had much experience with it yet but my initial impressions were that it was a little juddery but haven't tried it properly. Was just hoping to get it right first time from others trials.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• 7 months later...

So how are people getting on with these after  having now had them a while. Are they suitable for a complete amateur.Can they be used as an ordinary camera.I wanted to use something for taking skiing videos but never done anything like that before.Also would like to attach it to my dog to find out where he disappears to sometimes.Any help or suggestions

Edited by pete

hindsight: the science that is never wrong