Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus in the post DB era - Page 33 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus in the post DB era

Well I was in London a few weeks ago, curious as I was, I went to see the store of course. I was completely alone in the store 5 people who work there, were standing at the counter really doing nothing. 20mins later I passed the Ferrari store, there were queues, people standing outside, absolutely crazy.

As I said before, F1, IndyCar, LMP, cars like the T125, the Evora GTE and a store in London, those are all very great ideas, BUT only if your sales of your core business (ie selling cars like hell) are running like a train.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if fmxa is completely right.

I've been to the Lotus store a few times, it's never heaving with people but it's always looked busy enough. It's a far more upmarket store than the Ferrari place up the road, granted that's always busy but mostly with backpackers and the fall out from Hamleys across the road.

I was in both stores last week.... a Ferrari owning business friend of mine wanted to show me 'his' store so I took him to 'mine' and he was impressed! 'Shit... this place is amazing and it's not full of "£***king brats putting sticky fingers over everything!". I hope it does well, I'm sure DRB will close it the second the lease is up, in which case I hope I don't miss the sale but it'll be  a sad day nevertheless. 

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

This shop should be profitable in its own right. Its expensive, but merchandising is generally one of the most profitable business you can be in.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I would expect that the orientation skills of the Lotus community is much higher than that of Ferraristi. :rambo:

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

If they sell anything.

The Ferrari shop has a huge sign outside but the Lotus shop is easy to miss (and we were looking for it).

Can you spot it?

337348_4540599841112_316410904_o.jpg

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Looks to me like the builder's still had the boards up outside when that was taken, that aside why is it people want Lotus to fail in everything they do? Give 'em a break...  let's hope the company can move on and find someone who know's how to turn it around. 

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

I want them to succeed believe me.

We went to visit the store around three weeks ago and walked past it before realising. The Ferrari shop has a great mixture of prices, the Lotus shop was more upmarket though.

• Gold FFM

needs to be on the outside, just like the *Nespresso* one next to the Lotus-shop  ..not hidden behind ;)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Remember the Goodwood display, the one with the vertically mounted F1 Loti attached?

Why not mount a spanking new Exige S in much the same manner on the building facade, where it would be exceptionally hard to ignore? Imagine the buzz. Might spark sales of "lifestyle" swag, and the car itself. 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

maybe as for havin in UK the same legislation on preserving of old-buildings, the ones like in Germany or the rest of the European continent ? ..something you don't know in the US with around 250years of 'culture' ..where historic buildings are made from foam and plastic- to show up in Vegas ;)

Although i have not been into the Lotus store ,in my opinion it is more classy than a kitch Ferrari store ...yes the Ferrari store is kitch !!

The faint glimmer of hope is ignited by the one thing DB kept intact ....British Class .

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Look at the website. They are giving 50% on a small selection of clothing, just as every boutique does at season's end. At the same time they are adding new merchandise. A going out of business sale look different.

If you take another look at the email it also says "For those of you visiting London, our flagship store on Regent Street is extending the sale with up to 50% discount across all our luxury clothing ranges, including our exclusive Lotus Formula One Team Kit".

Trust me, I want this place to succeed, but let's face it the deck's stacked against them especially with its ties to the DB era marketing plans.  I've been to the store and Michealino the manager is one of nicest guys I've meet in a long time (even gave my daughter 2 small Lotus cars and opened the Exige so she could sit inside).  He showed me the attention to detail put into the store and it's truly amazing.  I plan on dropping in end of the month and checking out the sale as 50% off the F1 gear is amazing.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I hope the store succeeds too, but for me I've never been able to get my head around the fact that branded merchandise should be free as it advertises the marque. Perhaps I'm just an old cynical b*****d

Edited by B1 RMA

maybe as for havin in UK the same legislation on preserving of old-buildings, the ones like in Germany or the rest of the European continent ? ..something you don't know in the US with around 250years of 'culture' ..where historic buildings are made from foam and plastic- to show up in Vegas ;)

German Americans...originated popular American foods such as hot dogs and hamburgers. ;)

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

90% of the clothes you wear bear their makers mark externally for all to see David.

Not if I can help it, sunglasses are difficult admitedly but I shy away from obvious logos although my breakdown truck towing a Lotus tee shirt is only noticeable to Lotus guys and girls.

Once again the immense competence on this forum confounds me. We now have people who can revolutionize the complete world of Marketing :

- All F1 marketing must cease immediately as it is a complete waste of money

- Merchandising is absolutely useless and can only drive Lotus into financial ruin

- A long as Lotus can sell cars cheap they will be successful, and regardless of the cost of manufacturing.

What will be next? Do wheels really have to be round?

The buildings have numbers to help with this stuff you know!

That's what I had to look for.

Shop was classy, quality of stuff is fine IMHO.

As for 50% off F1 stuff I've had emails from McLaren, RedBull and Grand Prix Legends with bigger discounts in the last few weeks.

• Gold FFM

Not if I can help it, sunglasses are difficult admitedly but I shy away from obvious logos although my breakdown truck towing a Lotus tee shirt is only noticeable to Lotus guys and girls.

I'm with you there  .. over 1k GBP for a jacket is a big joke ..as I don't see the point there -it is not 'faster' more powerfull or looks notable different than my 50€ ones

@Bentzion:  ..have I said that some German blokes named sausage 'hot dogs' ?     ..in fact I'm not a achitectural fan as such -I simply believe that it is not allowed to 're-build' such buildings in old London streets and put a car onto the front wall, same as it would not be allowed over here. 

What will be next? Do wheels really have to be round?

..no !

as it depends on the ground surface -if you match your 'wheels' to the change in road surface you could simply run 'into' potholes without noticing it :D

It's OK Gunter.  I was taking a poke at the culture statement you made to show that the US is built off of many tastes.  I have dealt with many architecturally protected buildings in the past and committees and they dont want you to turn their beloved neighborhood into a modern commercial looking space so much so that I dont understand why anyone would rent there.  That being said Lotus should provide something for almost any budget just so that most patrons should be able to walk away with something that says Lotus on it.

• Gold FFM

my comment was not of taste (this is for everyone different)

..it was about historical/cultural age of only 250years (nearly) on US buildings ..there are older ones in the latin america of course -but you can see that construction work in US is never meant for long periods. See private buildings who are shown there after hurricanes, those seem to be build most on cardboard and wooden material ..not on solid concrete & stone, for several generations of a family ? 

It just looks like a cultural mentality of "use & dispose" of anything, no substantial thinking on the long term ..??

Biltmore Estate, Ashville, North Carolina

biltmore.jpeg

Rosecliff, Newport, Rhode Island 

Rosecliff-Newport-Mansion.jpg

Hearst Castle, San Simeon, California

0_35014400_1338910757.jpg

Boldt Castle, Alexandria Bay, New York

Boldt%20Castle.jpg

Castello Di Amorosa, Napa Valley, California

castello-castle.jpg

etc., etc., etc.,...

(You can do a lot with American styrofoam, eh?) :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

my comment was not of taste (this is for everyone different)

..it was about historical/cultural age of only 250years (nearly) on US buildings ..there are older ones in the latin america of course -but you can see that construction work in US is never meant for long periods. See private buildings who are shown there after hurricanes, those seem to be build most on cardboard and wooden material ..not on solid concrete & stone, for several generations of a family ? 

It just looks like a cultural mentality of "use & dispose" of anything, no substantial thinking on the long term ..??

No offense but you sound like a familiar story...i'll huff and puff and....

If your looking at standards of building in say, California it's because of quakes mostly!  The homes need to be able to flex and move.

What you may see on the news are thoroughly devastated areas from hurricanes that took direct hits OR poorer areas where the homes were never built well.  There are MANY affluent areas in the US that have homes that don't fit what your describing.