Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
lots of pics inside with a Q and A session ! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

lots of pics inside with a Q and A session !

Alex Carter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way is to remove the carrier complete, cut the bolt and use a press to remove the remains.

Definately follow the guide on lew, its tue best way and dont be tempted to use force, even a press I would say could still crack the alloy casing. Its a case of easing each section loose and it does take a few hours. Take your time here and youll save yourself a potential fortune than if you were to break the casting. Once its moving in the alloy its possible to wind it out using two nuts tightened against each other on the threaded ends of the stud..or gently drifting it out, supporting the alloy fully

If the carrier is supported properly it can't crack as you press each bit out one at a time. An impact gun can help to free off the bolt too and as it is rotational impact, no damage there either!

right got the wood on the doors wrapped in agrey vinyl

IMG_1429.jpg

looks a bit better .

now to tackle the binnacle i need to replace some of the back lights in the speedo and associated area there all dark at night

with reguards to the gearbox oil i know its 75/90 fully synthentic is there any make i should use ?

and engine oil what rating and make do you guys use

and last but not least is there a specific on anti freeze/coolant i need to use

Alex,

Do some instrument lights work and not others or do none of the instrument lights appear to work?

If it's all of them, then you possibly have the dimmer set on low.

Worth a check if it saves you hassle of replacing bulbs.

Ged

right managed to muddle my way through the binnacle removal using the manual and LEW got it all out .decided at this point to cover the wood in the dash in a tastefull black vinyl .

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

but i have a few issiues im am currently looking for a reason as to why i have no illumination in the dash binnacle .

ive removed all the bulbs and tested with a meter and there all fine .

i have checked the nose fuse box and the dimmer fuse and number 5, 21 fuses are not blown .

i have looked at the spline connection behind the binnacle and cant see any problems there .

ive tested power at the fuses when turning the side lights on and i get power at the fuse but nothing up at the bulb holder.

i did a continuity test on the bulb holder to fuse and got a beep .

i did a continuity test to earth and got a beep but also did the power side to earth and got a beep and from the earth side to the power and got a beep :help: very confusing .

so ive been looking at the wire diagram in the manual and they all seem to run through a RHEOSTAT box ? what is this a relay ?

i work with electrics every day but this is confusing me could this rheostat thing be stuck like a relay ?

anyone else had a problem like this ? would like to fix the issiue while i have it all apart . :huh:

• Gold FFM

Is the rheostat box the depiction of the dimmer on the wiring diagram?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

ok googled the rheostat and its basically a resistor for dimming so i guess this isnt the problem because on the dimmer fuse i can see the voltage changing when i adjust the switch ......... NEXT ! :help:

yes ram so the problem must be something else

• Gold FFM

earth

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

day was a good day finaly got some progress turns out this thing the rheostat was faulty

IMG_1464.jpg

we measured the voltages again with a fresh head and the use of the lotus wire diargam and it was only out putting 0.6 of a volt not enough to make the bulbs work . so ran a bridge wire from the signal of the lights direct into the illumination out put from the rheostat and hey presto lights . this will be a temp fix but at least i can see the speedo at night now

IMG_1460.jpg

think the black vinyl looks much better too .

also met another guy at a garage where i was trying to get my exhaust clamp fixed and managed to blag some free tyres for my fronts as my lotus had the wrong sizes .

but now i have developed a leak from the top selector pin on the gearbox so i need to source some more rubber to try and maintain some fluid inside the box just for a change !