Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What Made You Choose Your Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What Made You Choose Your Esprit

rizla603104

Just look at it:

It's a shame the S3 never made it over here. I think it's better looking than the Turbo.

I am afraid I had an obsession with the LP 400 Countach and the Lancia Stratos stradale.

So you have a thing for the Esprit and the Stratos? I have just the thing for you.

TLF EXCLUSIVE!!!

I've been on to Oliver Winterbottom and he agreed to let me share these renderings he gave me during our Esprit S1 documentary project interviews of his take on the first Esprit (he figured if Giugiaro was being considered then he might as well have a go too). I really dig it and think it looks like the love child of a G-Esprit and a Stratos:

post-6978-0-67312300-1343399126.jpg

post-6978-0-76242800-1343399137.jpg

post-6978-0-12283400-1343399147.jpg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always loved Lotus cars ever since my first business in Hornsey Road, London, just round the corner from the factory. It took a while for the Esprit to catch my eye, apart from the cost in South Africa in 1984, a huge 5 bedroom house was half the price they were asking for the Turbo. When I eventually saw my red one sitting in pieces in a garage in Cape Town, it was love at first sight. I have owned it now close on 7 years and I still cannot get enough of driving it. I actually count down the days to my next run with the car clubs.

Clarkson was quite right when he drove an Esprit, albeit the V8 when he said, "Looks good, Goes fast, Nothing else matters".

Anyone who doesn't dig the Stratos probably has no pulse.

By the way--not that it's legal--but you can read a great EVO interview with Ollie from last year at http://www.lotusbuzz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3205

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• Gold FFM

Always wanted, since I first saw one in 1976. In fact, I was always going to have one 'next year' or 'soon'. Then, a childhood buddy, who went on to become my sister's husband, hit the floor dead of a massive heart attack 5 years ago. He was a couple of months younger than me, and very fit. My sister (a nurse) did everything she could to revive him, but he had no chance.

I spent a couple of months helping my sister clear up the financial and legal mess, then went straight out and bought a Carb Turbo. Life's too bloody short.

As for the GT3, Trev made me do it. He's evil.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Always wanted, since I first saw one in 1976. In fact, I was always going to have one 'next year' or 'soon'. Then, a childhood buddy, who went on to become my sister's husband, hit the floor dead of a massive heart attack 5 years ago. He was a couple of months younger than me, and very fit. My sister (a nurse) did everything she could to revive him, but he had no chance.

I spent a couple of months helping my sister clear up the financial and legal mess, then went straight out and bought a Carb Turbo. Life's too bloody short.

As for the GT3, Trev made me do it. He's evil.

Now that is very true! For all of their ups and downs - life is far too short to keep saying "next year" or "soon"

Saw the white turbo in FYEO as a school kid. Searched hi and low for the autoart 1/18th model and a copy of Jeremy Walton's book...14 years on I have the car. Had to be white, red stripes and black bumpers from the factory and it took buying a car from the UK to get the right one!

Edited by Lex Templar

• Gold FFM

Saw TSWLM when I was young and as soon as that impossibly low white wedge growled off the ferry into Sardinia, I knew I had to own one... I also bought the Jeremy Walton book at school and spent hours reading it and deciding which one would be best... It always had to be a G car... After moving to London I saw a dark blue metallic S2 disappearing down a road near Regent's Street and practically ran after it... Then when I came to getting bored of my Golf GTi mk2 a couple of years back I went along to the Lotus meet at the Ace Cafe and Hopo gave me a spin... after that it was only a matter of time and bank manager relations... I bought the red one without driving any others and have spent a load on it as a result... but it is now getting where I want it to be with decent performance, noise to match and even adequate cooling...

Nice one Moxie!! I scrolled down slowly and saw the technical drawing first. Thought it was the Stratos!! Uncanny similarity. Glad the two finally stood apart in terms of styling though. I hope my next project will be a Stratos replica. Having the two side by side would be a dream garage for me. Lister bell do a really nice replica now with really good fitting body panels. I reckon the handling will still be a long way off the Lotus though :D

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971