Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GEARLINKAGE/TUBES BUSHES UPGRADE - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GEARLINKAGE/TUBES BUSHES UPGRADE

giorgio67

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I'm looking to replace the bushes in my S1 gear linkage whilst restoring the car, and I'm interesting in knowing any long term reports of using the IGUS bushes.

I'm hoping they're easily available in the UK, and simple to fit.

Thanks in advance,

David.

That's Geert.

I've been told that SJ Sportscars stock the original bushes, though I cannot find the part anywhere.

I checked out the  IGUS website for their spherical bearings, but I could quite see the same one with the dimensions mentioned in this thread. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

I have lost my link but I did manage to get them through my local bearing supplier. On our S2 the bearing housing was a tight fit in the gear linkage which prevented them turning freely. Also they were too loose on the pivot bolt so they are not really working as intended. In future I would ream out the gear linkage to get the correct fit and replace the pivot bolts with the correct size (I am guessing change from imperial to metric or vice versa). They do make a good difference especially with the rolling element bearing fitted to the central rocker. The gear change on our S2 is really nice now.

C43

21 minutes ago, C43 said:

On our S2 the bearing housing was a tight fit in the gear linkage which prevented them turning freely. Also they were too loose on the pivot bolt so they are not really working as intended.

I had both those problems. The bolts are turning in the bush and the actual bush isnt doing anything. If I was doing this again I would look at using rose joints instead. That would mean cutting/drilling/tapping the ends of the linkages.

Having taken the rubber out of the linkage except for the bush at the base of the gear lever, I have not noticed any noise transmission through the linkage and I am not sure why Lotus put so much rubber in there. 

Strangely the Evora 400 is getting negative comments on the gear linkage! Seems Lotus have a gear linkage jinx.

Thanks C43 and Andyww,

I noticed that SJ Sportscars now stock the linkage.

I've also ordered the cross gate linkage mod, as others recommended it for earlier Esprits.

I took all the rubber joints out on my brothers S2. There is so much vibration from the engine anyway figured you would not notice a little form the gear change. Can't say as I can feel any buzzing.

I just ready a report on the 410 Evora and they like the gearchange on it.

I have a 2011 Evora NA which is meant to be poor but with mileage it is pretty good now.

C43

BTW I believe one of the forum members is doing EN36 gearsticks and door pins, does anyone know who it is as I need to change both on my turbo. I have lost his link.

• 1 month later...

For the S1 & S2 gear linkage bush (or at least one of them), check out this part on the SJ Sportscars website  SJ079F0007

Just bought the full set, just not fitted them yet.