Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EXHAUST MANIFOLD UPGRADE. - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

EXHAUST MANIFOLD UPGRADE.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave...are you banging your head against the financial wall or the psychological one....

I wish i could afford to just manufacture these and put them on the shelf so you lads could

have them when needed...

Unfortunately there is no real margin to speak of . That is why they are half the price of all

the others...It is being done as more of a service than a business venture...

Maybe i should explain a little more... The whole idea of my Esprit project was to find out

what could be done to enhance an already superb product.. The Exhaust manifold being

one area. All the area's were examined in the same way, Nothing was just bolted on with

a suck it and see attitude...Calculations were made, designs approved and alteration implemented.

This is why the overall performance results are what they are... Not just by chance but by Design.!!

Just manufacturing any part and bolting it on could have detrimental effects. Without fully understanding

a function, how and why it works, it is not possible to get the desired outcome.

In one write up i did for this forum i banged on about flow , volume and velocity, relating to its relevance for

performance.. Boring to some i know, but very important. The exhaust is a major part of that.. By influencing

the pulses leaving the cylinder head you can create a much cleaner evacuation suck on the chamber, this

in turn provide a more pure charge for the next firing stroke and improved VE. The pulse's arriving at the the

turbo are also important , their velocity and frequency will effect spool up and lag, influencing throttle response.

All of this is a consideration in the design of a header / manifold.

How the header is designed will provide a function, when it provides that function correctly, it is tuned...!!

The only way to measure the success of a header / manifold is by performance results.... I have 424 of them.

Back to the situation... I need to get 20 made to hold the price. We only have a very small interest so far. I will

look into ways of expanding the availability outside the forum to help the numbers.

Also gaskets , studs and nuts, have been mentioned... I will look into this from a volume purchase aspect

from suppliers...Gaskets may be an issue as OEM parts are expensive, alternatives i have not tested so

i have no data on them...

I will also look into the cost of shipment to the USA..

I hope this explains a little more on what this thread is about...

thanks for your interest..

Dave.

Edited by CHANGES

From memory the one that puk had was one of the batch from al in u.s.a. As it was i could not get a confirmed date as it was being rserved for me but i decided to get my deposit back and go it alone so i cant see these being available.

It's Oogies turn to boogie

The one in the PUK add was made at the same time and place as mine in a

batch of 3 development prototypes...around 3 1/2. years ago... They were made

in the USA. One remains in the US somewhere, The other is on the European continent.

When i received mine there were some aspects that had to be changed to bring it in

line with my requirements.

To the best of my Knowledge none have been put through the rigorous testing of mine

and i was also recently informed the company that made them went out of business soon

after. This is the reason why they were never really available through PUK.

The ones I will have manufactured will be to the same spec, as mine..

This is the only design that I have tested and have confidence in...

Getting the word out to the Esprit owners is the problem,,

If i could just find 20 who defiantly wanted one . then i could set the ball rolling..

The problem seems to be, finding 20 who need or want one now...

Buddsy, Lotus genuine cast ones of this model are still available* so I doubt Lotus would be interested, add to that the type approval/ warranty potential issues and they'd probably run a mile.

*The genuine item has now been re-designed since originally made and has a bigger cast section at the places it was known to hole/crack so although heavier it should last longer than the original design.

Dave, not sure if you are also on the turboesprit list (Yahoo) but your original message was crossposted there, so far you have seven who would buy and three who would with more info.

Colin

I wish i could afford to just manufacture these and put them on the shelf so you lads could

have them when needed...

Unfortunately there is no real margin to speak of . That is why they are half the price of all

the others...It is being done as more of a service than a business venture...

Maybe i should explain a little more... The whole idea of my Esprit project was to find out

what could be done to enhance an already superb product.. The Exhaust manifold being

one area. All the area's were examined in the same way, Nothing was just bolted on with

a suck it and see attitude...Calculations were made, designs approved and alteration implemented.

This is why the overall performance results are what they are... Not just by chance but by Design.!!

Just manufacturing any part and bolting it on could have detrimental effects. Without fully understanding

a function, how and why it works, it is not possible to get the desired outcome.

In one write up i did for this forum i banged on about flow , volume and velocity, relating to its relevance for

performance.. Boring to some i know, but very important. The exhaust is a major part of that.. By influencing

the pulses leaving the cylinder head you can create a much cleaner evacuation suck on the chamber, this

in turn provide a more pure charge for the next firing stroke and improved VE. The pulse's arriving at the the

turbo are also important , their velocity and frequency will effect spool up and lag, influencing throttle response.

All of this is a consideration in the design of a header / manifold.

How the header is designed will provide a function, when it provides that function correctly, it is tuned...!!

The only way to measure the success of a header / manifold is by performance results.... I have 424 of them.

Back to the situation... I need to get 20 made to hold the price. We only have a very small interest so far. I will

look into ways of expanding the availability outside the forum to help the numbers.

Also gaskets , studs and nuts, have been mentioned... I will look into this from a volume purchase aspect

from suppliers...Gaskets may be an issue as OEM parts are expensive, alternatives i have not tested so

i have no data on them...

I will also look into the cost of shipment to the USA..

I hope this explains a little more on what this thread is about...

thanks for your interest..

Dave.

Looking through this thread it's hard to see if it's getting near the goal.

Thought it might be easier if we carried on as Dave suggested.

1. Irg-machine - Interested

2. andyclements - yes

3. Geoff in OZ - yes

4. fsrowsell - yes

5. Jay Gallentine - Interested

6. Neil1607 - yes

7. snowrx - Interested

8. Whirlybird - yes

9. tjs98jetta - yes

10. turboesprit list yahoo - interested

11. turboesprit list yahoo - interested

12. turboesprit list yahoo - interested

13 turboesprit list yahoo - yes

14. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

15. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

16. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

17. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

18. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

19. turboesprit list yahoo - yes

If anyone is on the turboesprit list yahoo would be good to get names on here.

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Guys

Bibs got this done from the factory with a better design for the G model a few years ago. I bought one for about $550.00. May be a good idea to ask him. I think we had a group buy of about 50 which lowered the cost.

Mark

USA

87 turbo esprit

Guys

Bibs got this done from the factory with a better design for the G model a few years ago. I bought one for about $550.00. May be a good idea to ask him. I think we had a group buy of about 50 which lowered the cost.

Mark

USA

87 turbo esprit

Mark....

???....!!!!... A better designed, gas flowed, pulse tuned, stainless steel turbo manifold,

Able to reliably handle the gasses from a 910. 424 BHP engine at 7600 RPM...

Tested over 2 years 5000 miles and with 70+ full power dyno runs....

....For $550 ...!!!! and 50 were made and sold a few years ago from the Lotus factory,

though Bibs...????

Questions

How come i never heard about them when i was researching this one..?

How come Bibs has not mentioned them...?

Where are they all now...?

Is the factory still making them...?

How much are they now...?

How did they perform...?

I am sure we would all like to know , before i waste any more time trying

to get a group buy of twenty together .

Plus all the hassle of manufacture, payments, shipping/clearance to the U.S