Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brute force and ignorance/ Whack Whack OOPS - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brute force and ignorance/ Whack Whack OOPS

I needed to move the Riley Elf today and as I was struggling to push it up the slight but steep slope it seemed a good idea to start it and drive it. I put the jump leads on, turned the key and it kicked over freely but didn't fire. I'd not heard the SU fuel pump thump, so, try encouraging it. No effect, maybe it was already at pressure, so try a quick spray of Bradex Easy Start, it fires and dies, so it is fuel starvation (it's not really old fuel).

Take nearest suitable implement (gardening trowel) and attempt to encourage the SU pump armature to break free. Nothing. Try again. Nothing. Get a bit tough with it and I start to see fluid drip. I touch the rubber pipe and find I've broken the end of the SU pump and have fuel flowing freely from the tank (it had to be the pump inlet.

Oh well, that little thing of moving the car now means I have another job to do this weekend, assuming I can source the part by then, I suppose I had a job to do already but didn't know it- sort out the stuck pump, and I've just altered the exact job but the work involved is roughly the same.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that a fear of doing things like this is the number one reason I procrastinate working on... anything.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Well I added injury to it today. I was moving the Elf as I'm altering the driveway, so today I was having some all-in and stone delivered. While the first ton was being delivered I stood on a piece of turn I'd cut out of the lawn, it moved my foot slipped sideways and went pop. So I'be been hobbling about all day now thinking I'll not get the Elf's pump done as I cannot push the car up the driveway with a bad ankle. FFS.