Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular?

No need. After fitting my decat kit on an NA that already had spots box fitted the garage ran my car through the MOT emissions test and it passed okay. As to whether it will pass overall I'll be finding out early next year anyway but how will a mechanic ever know! It is not as if they study the engine bay layout or in case of the Evora even see!

Reason for edit for reading post above properly!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup just reread your post and modified mine as you posted this. What does new MOT say then although my comment will still be true about access with the engine bay plated over from underneath.

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

From 1 January 2012, the Department for Transport added several new mandatory test items to the annual MOT to comply with a revised European testing directive.

The aim of the revised directive (2009/40/EC) is to harmonise minimum test requirements across Europe and make sure the test reflects the electrical/electronic complexity of modern car safety features.

The new testable components* are subject to a 'bedding in' period during which any defects found in these components will be advisory only.

Advisory period continues

The legal process for changing regulations is taking longer than expected and VOSA keeps extending the ‘bedding in’ period for the new test items as a result.

VOSA has now confirmed that the advisory period for the new test items will remain in place at least until the end of 2012.

The latest version of the MOT inspection manual shows the new reasons for failure (currently advisory) highlighted

(2 October 2012)

The main changes

Electronic parking brake

Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control

Checks of antilock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

• Headlight main beam warning light
  • Electronic power steering warning light
  • Brake fluid level warning light
  • Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

Steering & suspension

The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and battery

An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres

Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if a Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp indicates a system malfunction.

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors

A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Towbars

Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust

A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system

Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure.

(updated 2 October 2012)

* The new testable components subject to the 'bedding in' period throughout 2012 are:

• headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
  • main beam 'tell-tale'
  • battery - including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles
  • electrical wiring connectors
  • trailer electrical socket security and damage
  • operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets
  • operation of the steering lock (where fitted)
  • electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
  • electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
  • electronic stability control components including switch and malfunction warning
  • brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
  • tyre pressure monitoring systems
  • secondary restraint system component including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and seat belt load limiters.
  • speedometer
  • indirect vision devices - where they replace obligatory mirrors

From the AA website

Hmmmm! Mind you lots of things that are going to be very hard to police or test for in there! How long is the MOT going to take??

I still think we will be okay judging by the engine bay layout. I doubt the place I use will have scoobys chance to spot it missing. The volume will be put down to sport exhaust. Having said that I have mine safely stored anyway JIC!

Watch this post in March to see the answer!

From reading around on the web this discussion on an MOT testers forum explains things.

Panels can only be removed if they are readily removable without tools.

If you cant see something to test it, they can only list it as advisory.

So if the exhaust system is hidden behind fixed panels, their logic states they have to ignore it and issue advisory information.

http://forums.motester.co.uk/view_topic.php?id=2548&forum_id=3&jump_to=20493

There are 2 reasons why it wouldn't fail:

Firstly, the 3rd CAT isn't actually required so it won't fail the emissions. This is why Lotus removed from MY12 Evora's (non-federal) with no other change. Secondly, as you already mentioned you'd have to remove the under tray to verify it isn't fitted which requires tools - something that the MOT doesn't cover so the most you'd get was an advisory. An example of this is an advisory I got last year - "Child seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt"

There are 2 reasons why it wouldn't fail:

Firstly, the 3rd CAT isn't actually required so it won't fail the emissions. This is why Lotus removed from MY12 Evora's (non-federal) with no other change. Secondly, as you already mentioned you'd have to remove the under tray to verify it isn't fitted which requires tools - something that the MOT doesn't cover so the most you'd get was an advisory. An example of this is an advisory I got last year - "Child seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt"

I don't know the cost of a 3rd CAT but car companies generally don't add components for the sake of it, so there must have been some reason for it. Could have been to meet exhaust or noise emissions requirements, or perhaps it was initially that for simplicity all cars met federal requirements whereas for the MY12 vehicles some do and some don't?

I don't know the cost of a 3rd CAT but car companies generally don't add components for the sake of it, so there must have been some reason for it. Could have been to meet exhaust or noise emissions requirements, or perhaps it was initially that for simplicity all cars met federal requirements whereas for the MY12 vehicles some do and some don't?

3rd cat is on the car to meet US regulations which are far stricter than the UK. It's fine to be removed.

• 1 month later...

I had a Larini Club exhaust fitted to my previous Lotus (Elise S2), which was loud - though I found it got oppressive on a long run.

My current car (Elise 111R) has a 2Bular system which is generally quieter than the Larini - though still does the business if you put your foot down.

• 4 weeks later...

So, here it is.

The 2bular twin silencer/de-cat arrived and was promptly fitted. The first thing to notice was the shear difference in size and weight when compared with the standard system.

37lb for the old system against 15lb for the 2bular.

There is quite a bit of adjustability on the mounting flange, making it a doddle to fit. However the real joy comes when firing the engine up. The blip is amazing, letting you hear the V6 burst into life before settling down to a nice purposeful burble. On the road there is a slight hum at low revs/part throttle but nothing too intrusive. Once above 2500 and throughout the midrange the V6 is allowed to sing with a throaty rasp before turning into a manic howl as the revs creep towards the redline. In short it sounds amazing and is how the vehicle should of left the factory in my opinion. Needless to say, I am well chuffed with my choice and would recommend the 2bular to anyone. The only downside is that the fuel economy has suffered considerably as I can't help but thrash the Evora at every opportunity just to hear that glorious V6 growl.

post-14992-0-44398300-1358593268.jpg

post-14992-0-45602400-1358593584.jpg

post-14992-0-70264900-1358595098.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the full 2bular system fitted.

Superb bit of kit.

Nearer to £2.5k than to £3.5k

Much lighter as you'de expect.

A fantastic deep sound but not booming.

Plus with a remap the car makes 309bhp @ the flywheel and 20ftlb torque extra across the band.

In a word. Fantastic!