Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Why do I never see Lotus’s on the roads? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Why do I never see Lotus’s on the roads?

Guest surferphil

You seemed to have hit the nail on the head there Mr Villeneuve. I'd also like to add they are incomparable because, Lotus engineer for performance and Porsche engineer for production. Chalk and cheese?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seemed to have hit the nail on the head there Mr Villeneuve. I'd also like to add they are incomparable because, Lotus engineer for performance and Porsche engineer for production. Chalk and cheese?

You may have also forgotten as well as production, performance and reliability

Interesting comments too... performance vs production. I agree reliability is important though, you want to be able to trust the car to get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

That said my last Elise was amazing, nothing broke or dropped off, it just did what it was designed for amazingly well. The Evora is just as purposeful yet somehow Lotus seem to have added so many options I'd have considered heresy a few months ago without anything getting in the way of the spirit of the car.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Guest surferphil

You may have also forgotten as well as production, performance and reliability

No, I mentioned performance and I have owned a lot of Lotus cars and have never had a problem with reliability. I have never broken down or been left at the side of the road by a Lotus (unlike other cars) and drove them for years as a daily driver and only car.

Given the choice between a Boxter and an Elan SE I'll take the Elan on every occasion every time thanks.

Whilst I respect you devotion to Porsche, I think you are on the wrong forum.

No, I mentioned performance and I have owned a lot of Lotus cars and have never had a problem with reliability. I have never broken down or been left at the side of the road by a Lotus (unlike other cars) and drove them for years as a daily driver and only car.

Given the choice between a Boxter and an Elan SE I'll take the Elan on every occasion every time thanks.

Whilst I respect you devotion to Porsche, I think you are on the wrong forum.

Wow that's dedication!

I wouldn't reallycall it devotion to Porsche but respect for the standard of the product they put out the factory door may go some way of describing my feelings at this moment in time.

Edited by B1 RMA

I often see Elise and Exige around town and on the highway. There is actually a silver Elise that works across the street from me, a BRG Elan M100 also across the street, and a aluminum and red Seven a few blocks down. See quite a few Tesla around.

My friends are often telling me about an Evora, Elise, Exige, or Esprit that they saw in town.

And I'm 4000 miles or so away from the factory:)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Not many in my manor, plenty of upmarket and enthusiast stuff, Astons/ Fezzas and Maseratis even a MP4 -12c and more Morgans Jags and Porsches than you can shake a stick at but with the exception of a couple of classic Elans very few Lotus's. As of last week though I'm doing my bit to put that right

Hi,

I use my Esprit for work twice a week - I leave at 6.30am in the dark and you can see the look of suprise

on people's faces when you come towards them (except at work where everyone ignores it!)

I also have a Europa and I have never seen one of those on the road ever...

I turned on the news this morning and apparently (I was going to start a new topic for this but it's kind of related)

they are going to ban cars over 17 years old in Paris. What concerns me is that other countries may follow suit.

While they will probably allow 'classic cars pre '73' permission, what will happen to our Esprits from the '80s, 90s-

these could be seen as just old cars too. I believe pre '73s will always be allowed on our roads (too many politicians

with old Bentleys etc but the future could be bleak for spotting any Esprits etc.

It is truly worrying, the ban is about pollution but there aren't many cars over 17 years old on the road anyway, it's not going to save the planet (by banning them). Sticking with one car and making it last is surely better- it seems everyone at work has a new car, now I'm getting grumpy...

Drove the Elite S2 down to a posh part of West London on Sunday 11th, (saw an Elise, Evora and Caterham 7 on the way); the Elite attracted plenty of attention including pap-style photo-taking - even people who know nothing about cars will always notice the Elite !

I do remember looking in my rear view mirror and being followed by a Bentley Continental convertible and then a Rolls Phantom straight afterwards. Parked 50 yards from us was a Lambo Aventidor (or whatever they`re called|). But yes, loads of Porsches which I have never liked regtadless of their image-just faster VW Beetles ! Anyway, pleased to fly the flag for the brand...

I wouldn't reallycall it devotion to Porsche but respect for the standard of the product they put out the factory door may go some way of describing my feelings at this moment in time.

David,

Whilst I understand your respect I couldn't help but notice the difference between a Porsche owner and a Lotus owner. I have seen this many times, including in my boss who has a new 911. Whilst the Porsche owner talks about build quality and production values the Lotus owners talk about passion, driveability and love of the brand. As an automotive professional I can see both sides but I know what I want from my weekend drive.

To get things back on track. I see loads of Lotus's every day! But then I live around 2 miles from the factory.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I know we keep comparing our Loti to the ever prevalent Porches, but the difference schould become obvious when you compare the numbers.

In the first ten months of 2012 Porsche has delivered 116,000 cars. In October alone it was 11,688 cars, thereof 6,897 Cayenne!

So, in one month Porsche is producing about ten times as many cars as Lotus in one year! So, which do you expect to see more often?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Long may their rarity continue. I drove down our local high street (East Grinstead) on Sunday and boy with the exhaust note bouncing of the shop windows on opposite sides of the road, did it make a good sound. My wife happened to be in the town and she hear'd me driving down from inside a shop and said a fair number of people were asking 'what was that car'. You just dont get that with a Porsche and believe me I have owned one.

David,

Whilst I understand your respect I couldn't help but notice the difference between a Porsche owner and a Lotus owner. I have seen this many times, including in my boss who has a new 911. Whilst the Porsche owner talks about build quality and production values the Lotus owners talk about passion, driveability and love of the brand. As an automotive professional I can see both sides but I know what I want from my weekend drive.

To get things back on track. I see loads of Lotus's every day! But then I live around 2 miles from the factory.

A fair point Kimbers, and I'd like to think I'm blessed with an open mind when it comes to trying out cars to possibly purchase and I put all pre-concieved ideas out of my head and just drive a selection of likely candidates. This is straying far too off topic and at times it's getting a bit like I might as well talk to the hand if I'm honest. As an owner of both Lotus and Porsche I enjoy each for it's own merits and they are both very nice cars it's just with my getting the Esprit refurbished we come across things which are frustrating and would seem to make me say why did they do that, anyway I intend to have my late V8 up together and one of the best examples around and just hope I can find a person who loves Esprit's to buy it when finished then I'll probably buy a Turbo S

Sorry if it sounded like I was referring to you bud. You have a Lotus as well so must have taste :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Guest surferphil

David, I think you have come full circle with what I put across (you misread) before. The main thing is to buy the right car for you and the Porsche fits many peoples desires whether they are petrol heads or not.

Of course the Esprit will appeal, I doubt you will have a problem finding a person who wants one, especially a late V8.

It's just horses for courses.

I'd love a Late V8 :yes: