Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A 'lady' (?) in distress. Which car next? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A 'lady' (?) in distress. Which car next?

My favourite BMW would be a nice e39 M5.  The engine is fantastic, they're similar in size to a modern 3 series, manual gearbox. The prices seem to have hit the bottom. Either that or an Alpina whose handling I tend to think suits a big luxury car far more than much of BMW's fare.

Apart from that I too have a soft spot for Japanese cars, especially ones that nobody notices.  The imprezza is a fine car but I'd be looking for a 5 door which hasn't been modified (or only has the Prodrive additions).

There are some very nice legacies as well. There's something to be said for a flat 6 of the type b.

If you want to stick with Giugiaro styling you could find yourself a Subaru SVX. There are quite a few around here and they still look fresh.  They're pretty heavy and I've never driven one but the looks are fantastic.

Outside Subaru the Mitsibushi Galant VR4 is worth looking for.  I think Mitsibushi got Prodrive to homologate them for the UK.

Finally, if you can stomach the likely running costs a Porsche 928 would make an interesting choice.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy I just have impeccable taste :)

Gunter I'm sure John would be grateful for any help so thanks for the offer.

I know that it will be heavy and a completely different driving experience but I'm 'sowing my wild oats' car wise and thanks to John I can drive different cars with the security of having a live in mechanic.

She is in the boot of her own 8-series, and gets kidnapped ..but there is enough space for a attractive young girl with long legs and a nice body. What meant from my point of view the boot must be big enough, just like in the old Mafia films  ..so I thought "this car is cool, fast & practical to own!"

You wanted an 8 series since it was better for kidnapping hot chicks? :lol:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

You wanted an 8 series since it was better for kidnapping hot chicks? :lol:

..you may say so !  :smoke:

on the other hand, hey ..if it fits something of this 'organic dimension' -so something that is not of a 'box shape' like the calculation DIN test-blocks or ordinary luggage ..it means nothing else than: the boot on this car can be used for 'various applications' in real life  ..haahaa  :harhar:

In the rear luggage compartement of my V8 there was once a guy, and I had two girls in the passenger seat on another time. Both girls had a nice body, and both I would say 'liked each other' in some ways  ... 

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Sue, if you want it, and can afford it, (& have somebody who can fix it cheaply!) then go for it.  We bought a Nissan Murano on that policy and loved it until the Evoque came along and Murano 7 years old. You are a long time dead wondering what if? 

One of my friends had one new many moons ago as a company car (his own Company) after his 635CSI or whatever it was.  It was one of the 850's from memory but in a lovely burgundy colour that suited the car.  That was prior to moving over to Porker 911's.  He liked its effortless drive on the commute and I must admit I toyed with the idea of buying from him when finished with it, but it didn't fit my life at the time as I still needed 4 seats in my car and tow ability then.  For a number of years there was another one dotting around our area that I used to see and each time took a double take thinking what is that?  I love the lack of a B pillar when all windows are down on a sunny day.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Gold FFM

AHH - lets see a picture then? I do think they are beautiful although as others have said, quite a different drive to the Esprit... 

Bibs, Yes its good on Petrol you put it in the tank and it disappears really quickly.

Snoopy, the plate is likely to be swapped for a non age related plate. We think we can get SUI 8840 which given ''Boots'' name is Sue (Su) and her surname is Unsworth (initials SU so it works both ways) and she thinks she's 18 and she's driving an 840 I think thats pretty appropriate, non?

Henry, yes very different from the Esprit. It just wafts along at tickover up to about 70 mph (I'm not kidding!) but if you put it into steptronic and knock it down a couple of gears, a hefty dose of loud pedal sees her pick up her skirts and blast towards 100 in no time flat (with a fantastic roar from the exhaust. (did we ever organise a tunnel run at Hindhead? I'd definately be up for that now!!)

I few bits need fixing but that will keep me out of mischief....

John

Edited by Mr_John111

• Gold FFM

Sue ..John -this should give a overview on what's going around in the internals of the computerised stuff:

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

http://www.cannell.co.uk/BMW_Workshop_Manuals/ETM-2.zip

more on that in 'pn' ..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

They do make a lovely noise when you knock it into a lower gear - my friend has a dark green metallic with cream leather - full M sport body kit, suspension etc. lovely car... but different to the Esprit!

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching this thread...

It just wafts along at tickover up to about 70 mph (I'm not kidding!) 

Take care with that. If you go up the gears my 6 speeder can see 120mph at under 3,000 revs, the engine is not even slightly working.

14 years of Lotus and I get my first points in the 911, and Vicki is watching the letterbox as we speak after her last drive.

It's almost fluid the german thing, from zero to whatever speed you want, cutting through tarmac and MPH like butter, it's a world away from that (extremely fun!) noisy, gripping the wheel bump-fest of wind noise, wiper lifting, front end lightness and occasional check lights you get used to and enjoy in the Lotus...

:huh: