Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TDI Charity Evora Dyno Day - 30th March - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TDI Charity Evora Dyno Day - 30th March

Bibs

If anyone is organising a schedule, may I request a mid-morning sort of time rather than first thing, please.  My trek will be the southern M25 and the Dartford crossing so bound to be some uncertainty in timing. I'll aim to arrive 10.30 ish.  (But I'll bring a sandwich in case my slot gets to lunchtime!)  Thanks

EDIT: hesitate to mention this, given TDI expertise, but I will be looking for how they will ensure an adequate flow (I.e. equivalent to the car in motion) of ambient air to the intake. Particularly important for the Radium CAI given part of it's performance gain comes from screening off from the engine heat. (I've measured that it does achieve that.)  Stationary on the dyno, with blown air just to the front may not be adequate - my measurements showed a rapid heating of the filter intake zone after stopping with a hot engine. (Ref: my "Cool or What" posts a year ago.) 

Edited by mdavies

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A fan on the intake would be essential I guess, although that may not replicate the actual airflows of a moving car. It would depend on what part the aerodynamics/other grills play in drawing air into and through the engine bay.  Feeling whether the intake side of the Radium screen stayed cool under engine load would be the test.

Opening the hatch would very probably help (especially with an intake fan), but I'd be surprised if that alone was sufficient.  Quite a bit depends on the duration of the test runs, but I'm (certainly!) hoping that the engine will be throughly hot before the test begins.

It's a benchmark, not a replication of driving conditions though. Any car on a dyno will be in a similar environment...

True, but not every car will be affected by that environment in the same way.  And a Radium CAI equipped car may be affected in its individual way for the reasons we have been discussing.

Good luck finding a dyno in a wind tunnel! :P

Even Radium offer dyno results on their website. If dyno testing is good enough for them to advertise their product it's good enough for us to benchmark it against other cars with different intakes.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Hi

I am gutted I can't make this as I am away with work.

However - can either TDI or someone with a OBD Bluetooth module take 10/second logs or the air flow on the different intakes while you are there?  It would be interesting to see if there is any obvious issues with the reading.  (I have a log of mine with CAI, and hope to get a log of a standard car soon.  But TDI may have better facilities than me to do this!

Thanks!

Ive got a V Performance meter which takes logs and may do that. I'll check. Ive also got a bluetooth module so is there an app for the Iphone to take the reading then?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Well will there be a bin available for people to throw their CAI into? :-)

Trevor.

Uh oh.   I'm watching this thread with great anticipation.   I'm interested in seeing how the CAI works out.   As I mentioned, I feel like I've lost low end power with some slight hesistation at 2,000 rpm with modest throttle but definitely feels stronger at the top end.

I'll have my Evora dyno'ed once the Larini and decat pipe arrive (early February). 

Allan,

Don't worry, mostly ribbing the opposition :-). I'd be interested to know if your car alters in the way it drives if you by changing the orientation of the K&N cone as it is offset and I'm lead to believe this makes a difference. Try it an report back.

Trevor.

1. Trevsked: NA + Lotus sports exhaust (Blue Tips) + K&N Filter Element.

2. M1lum: NA with "Chavvy" exhaust, std intake

3. TomE: MY11 S with decat, standard exhaust and intake

4. OJ 48: MY11 S completely standard but with a few miles on it

5. Bruss - MY11 S with K&N, Larini

6. mdavies (Mel) Evora NA (2010), Radium CAI + Lotus Sports exhaust

7. Beady - LE NA with Lotus Sport Exhaust

8. Kevcov - NA IPS

Welcome to TLF Kev. Where in Kent are you?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Trevor - 10k yr 1 then along came a baby, then another......then a big volvo. Still, a lotus not used as much as you would like is better than no lotus ! I have absolutely no idea about all this dyno stuff so keen to learn whats going on.

construction and property consultants : My company

Paul,

When you used to come to the Ace I seem to remember you going through tyres therefore clocking up the miles (respect) hence the ?

As you say better to have one you can use than not have one at all.

Trevor.

Allan,

Don't worry, mostly ribbing the opposition :-). I'd be interested to know if your car alters in the way it drives if you by changing the orientation of the K&N cone as it is offset and I'm lead to believe this makes a difference. Try it an report back.

Trevor.

Whew. I  was a little worried there.  Actually, when I dyno my Evora in February (after my sport exhaust arrives), I'll try changing the orientation of the filter to see if that alter air/fuel or hp/tq readings on the dyno.

Also, would anyone attending the 1/19/13 dyno day with a Radium CAI be interested in doing the same on some of the dyno runs?  It would be interesting to see if filter position does cause any changes.