Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Walk around lens - Photography Matters - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Walk around lens

Bibs

My current Canon EF-S 28-135mm IS USM isn't up to much, it's not very sharp and I'd like a wider angle too. 

Does anyone have any experience of the new STM lenses? While I don't shoot much video, I do some and the EF-S 18-135 IS STM is looking good and well priced and around £350.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm-stm.htm

Any thoughts?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Can't really comment, being a Nikon man, but Mr Rockwell is my oracle of choice when it comes to lenses. If he says it's good, it is.

By the way, my walkabout all-rounder is a Nikkor 16-85 AF-S DX.  Pretty expensive (around £500), but really lovely through the range.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I had both... Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM and Canon 24-70 2.8L ... Second one is one of my favorites now, but new is above £1000.

Bibs... I was using lens you mentioned 28-135. It was my first lens and for this price I think it was actually quite good. I don't think this 18-135mm will be any better, to be honest.

If you looking mostly on wider angle, get 10-22mm from Canon, or similar "size" you can get from Sigma.

I'm using this canon for wide angle shots and rig shots.

I'm a Nikon user too, so can't comment on Canon lenses. I use the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 as a walkabout - I like having f2.8 available on the walkabout and for what I shoot it's usually wide enough/zooms enough (I carry a 70-300mm usually to cover longer shots). The Sigma is not quite as good as the Nikon version, but was a load cheaper!

Here's a tip. Leave your DSLR at home. Take a pocket camera with you and you'll enjoy your life much better.

That's the voice of experience talking from someone who's gone from film 35mm to Medium format to DSLR and only now realises the error of his ways. My favourite walkabout is my Nikon P3. Tiny, fits in a pocket or the other half's handbag. My DSLRs only come out on serious shoots or studio work. They're too big and heavy to enjoy carrying around.

Enjoy life!

Alan

Uh, oh! Suppose I should really change my icon as I don't have the car any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy photography Alan so I'll stick with the camera when appropriate. For boggo shots, my phone has 12m pixels but isn't exactly that clever.

New thought is this from Tamron, their 18-270mm.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15

Most of my pics are at the wider end of the spectrum but that's a decent review and offers a lot of flexibility. Anyone used one?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can't really comment, being a Nikon man, but Mr Rockwell is my oracle of choice when it comes to lenses. If he says it's good, it is.

By the way, my walkabout all-rounder is a Nikkor 16-85 AF-S DX.  Pretty expensive (around £500), but really lovely through the range.

Second that, Nikkor 16-85 AF-S DX is my all-rounder as well. Very pleased with it whenever the backpack with the other stuff doesn't come with me.

I have the Tamron 18-270, I purchased a second hand one for £130, it's the mk1 version as the new one is smaller and lighter. It's on the camera most of the time now, I wanted a lens that would be good for static shots of car etc, but could give me a reasonable zoom if I needed it. The lens creeps a little, but it has a lock to stop that. It's a good lens for the money.

9188542430_5d8536273e_b.jpg