Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Throttle jack Se turbo - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Throttle jack Se turbo

cbclotus

Hi Can any body tell meif my car has a throttle jack fitted,The original   engine was changed for a s4 engine .Is it a better Engine .ie does it have a zeus casting etc.Still not been able to freescan the car.Just read a thread ref revving up from cold.Talking about the throttle jack being plugged off.Thanks all .Mike

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SE-S4s and GT3 should have a throttle jack and EBPV as standard.

Many people remove them.

The throttle jack is a vacuum capsule under the Chargecooler box, and next to the throttle cable.  Looks like this

P8150136.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

If you remove/don't have the EBPV in the exhaust, then it is best to also remove the throttle jack as it is not needed.  It is only there to counteract the EBPV valve when closed so the engine doesn't stall.

Many remove the EBPV, because they fail and restrict the exhaust making the car very slow with no power or boost.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Interesting post Travis, I removed the EBPV a long time ago and rearranged the vac line so it doesn't go through its switch. 

Regarding the throttle jack, to disable it what do you do? Remove the vacuum capsule or it's feed, vac line or signal to its switch? Does it do any harm leaving it as it is?

Signature not working...

You can disconnect and cap off the vacuum line to the throttle jack, but there are cases where the linkage could stick as the throttle is used, so I removed it entirely  Removal is done by un-clipping the linkage it from the pivot that it is connected to and removing the entire assembly.  Leaving just a post in the intake manifold.

You can disconnect the electrical connector that goes into the EBPV and Throttle jack solenoids, but leave the relay and fuse in place (I used the EBPV relay, fuse and connector to power my electric water pump for the chagrecooler).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Cheers for the info Travis, I think I'll remove the throttle jack next time I'm near the engine. I, like you, have the chargecooler pump off the EBPV power so the relay is still in place, just that it doesn't have a vacuum feed any more.

Signature not working...

To disable the TJ can I just block off the vacuum in the usual way but then cable tie the the TJ linkage in the closed position like in the following photos from LEW?

(I'd have to use the larger triangular hole as I'd be leaving the capsule and rod in place)

EBPV_Vaccum_Hose_38.jpg  EBPV_Vaccum_Hose_37.jpg

Thanks,

Mark.

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Yes, using a cable tie to make sure the linkage cannot move, causing the throttle to stick open, is a good idea. I did so as well, until I got around to removing the linkage completely.

As for the vacuum, you can remove everything, including the solenoid, just make sure you plug the line coming from the vacuum pump. If you don't, the leak will affect you brake servo.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.