Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacing front suspension bushes, advice please - Page 5 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacing front suspension bushes, advice please

• Gold FFM

The ratchet strap method I find a lot safer than the clamps - just a bit fiddly to get right - them clamps do have a habit of breaking loose !!

• Like 2

Only here once

• 11 months later...

Guys, 

Thread resurrection :

Does anyone have the anti roll bar insertion tool to hand that would be kind enough to lend it to me?  Anti Roll Bar bush epic ensues..... 

• 2 months later...

Its time to install new bushings on my 1989 Esprit, Thinking of going with a quality shop press vs the manual push and pull kit that you turn with a spanner/wrench.  I am guessing it would be best to get something like a Snap On Brand bushing driver kit to go along with the shop press? Anyone have any recommendations on tools that they have used to replace front suspension bushings?

I have already picked up the SJ Sportscars Bushing Insert tool for the lower wishbone bushing, more concerned about all the other bushings of various sizes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

I'm a fan of top quality tools, but as for the bushing press kit I think a cheap kit will do the job just as well. They are just a spacer in reality, it's not like a ratchet where you need highest quality materials in order to keep yourself free of injury.

We had many years of good use of a cheap press, although the frame could have used a bit of strengthening to use it to its full 20ton rating. For inserts we used a variety of old bushings, bearing shells, brake cylinders etc. Never had the need to buy special inserts, certainly not for replacing the bushes on the Esprit. A good trick for bearings is to cut a slot in the old outer race and use that as an insert. The cut will prevent it from getting stuck while the diameter is a very close fit.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

13 hours ago, Herbert said:

Its time to install new bushings on my 1989 Esprit, Thinking of going with a quality shop press vs the manual push and pull kit that you turn with a spanner/wrench.  I am guessing it would be best to get something like a Snap On Brand bushing driver kit to go along with the shop press? Anyone have any recommendations on tools that they have used to replace front suspension bushings?

I have already picked up the SJ Sportscars Bushing Insert tool for the lower wishbone bushing, more concerned about all the other bushings of various sizes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

In my opinion a normal bushing press tool will not work for the front sway bar (anti-roll bar) bushing.  I destroyed 3 bushings trying before I made my tool.  The bushing needs a funnel to squeeze into. 

For the rest of the bushings, I used various sockets and the bushing insert tool similar to SJ's.

You can borrow my tool, if you PM me your address.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

There is a thread about the tool:

Last I heard it was with Vanya and maybe on its way to Jaques.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!