Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Racing wheels? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Racing wheels?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to the Wiki over at that other site these are the dimensions:

Type Standard Cast alloy, 5 spoke-split in pairs, silver or black, 5-bolt fixing with diamond cut machine finish on the 5 radial spokes

Size Front 7.5J x 17 H2 ET 26.3

Rear 9.5J x 18 H2 ET35

Inset Front + 26.0 mm

Rear + 35.0 mm

PCD Front 5x110.0 ± 0.1 mm

Rear 5x114.3 ± 0.1 mm

Wheel bolts Thread M12 x 1.5 x 26 mm

Torque 105 Nm

Seat 60° taper

Centre spigot hole diameter 65 mm

Radial run-out at bead seat 0.3 mm max.

Laterial run-out at bead seat 0.3 mm max.

Looking at Braid it seems like they can make a set that fits.

Edited by CaptainSlow

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

9 and 13 kg ??? Are they casted with plumber inlays ?

We save weight with not using carpets and at the end of the day, we waste all this savings by using racing wheels ?

Sorry, hard to understand.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking into these ..... forged monoblock and light ..... but I fear they will be expensive. :(

Might look good in orange.  :)

post-7947-0-51385600-1415937857.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

I'm looking into these ..... forged monoblock and light ..... but I fear they will be expensive. :(

Might look good in orange.  :)

Please share what info you find on these rims, would be keen to know typical weight and costs.

Real shame LMS haven't come up with something by now....Bibs any update?

www.alias23.com

Please share what info you find on these rims, would be keen to know typical weight and costs.

Real shame LMS haven't come up with something by now....Bibs any update?

Ok, some updated info:

Wheels made by HRE .... model designation R101 ... forged, mono-bloc design.

They will make them to fit the Lotus Exige V6... hubcentic (of course); proper wheel bolt pattern for front and rear, and will make them to custom specifictions for width and offset.

Preliminary estimate of weight for the wheels with the following specs:  

Front 17x8 et26 -- 15.6 lbs (7.1kg)

Rear 18x10  et 35 -- 18.9 lbs (8.5kg)

Cost looks like it will be on the expensive side ... preliminary estimate is ~ US $7200-7500 per set.   :angry:   :shock:

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

• 1 month later...

Am I missing something here guys - the rear wheels being suggested in the thread are 10J, but OEM is 9.5J? Is that just because they're "best fit" from what's available, to improve the handling or some other reason?

Also, if they're 10" wide, wouldn't the offset need to come down to avoid hitting the arches?

I've been having a look around to see what you can get in the correct sizes. My thinking is that it may be possible to find a set of wheels available in both the correct sizes/fitment and even if the retailer won't split to sell 2+2, we'd only need to arrange pairs of buyers to get two full sets.

So far, I've found far more wheels available that fit the rear but not the front! Seems 18x9.5 5x114.3 et35 is quite popular with R33/34 owners, so there are some decent Japanese wheels available. For a moment, I thought it would be possible to get some TE37s, but they don't make anything close to the front size we need. I also thought I'd found a Weds Sport wheel to fit, but again, nothing like the fronts we need. That 110 PCD is pretty rare!

<sigh> Lots of looking later, I can't find any manufacturer that makes the correct sizes front and rear...

For a moment, I thought it would be possible to get some TE37s, but they don't make anything close to the front size we need....

This guy seems to be running TE37s so we can only live in hope! Definitely on my wish list can't you get them custom made albeit have a long wait?

post-17255-0-87554500-1420127475.jpg

www.alias23.com

RAYS/Volk TE37SL: rear is no problem: 18x9.5 ET 35.  Center hole is 73.1, so spigot ring needed.

Front is trickier as RAYS doesn't do 5x110's.  So, the 17x7.5 ET 40 with 5x114.3 + 5x110 to 5x114.3 adapter.  Those are 25mm thick => front goes to ET 15.  So front wheel extents 11mm compared to OEM.  Doable and it will reduce the understeer character of the car.

Considering the rear OEM wheel is a bit too tucked away, better to get the Volk TE37sl in 18x9.5 ET 22.  

OEM front: 7.5 KG

TE37SL: 6.8 KG (+ the weight of the adapter)

OEM rear: 11.07 KG

TE37SL: 8.3 KG

mmmmmmmm

@alias23: do you have a link where the above picture originated from?

Edited by Milton1

@alias23: do you have a link where the above picture originated from?

Milton thank you for the extra detail and intel much appreciated! If I'm reading you right this is possible but will have two 'knock on' effects...

One, you have to run a pretty big spacer/adapter! Are you sure you can't buy something thinner than 25mm that's huge :(

Two, the specs would mean some pretty aggressive offset which i personally think the car is missing, however what's the risk of hitting the arches on track with such aggressive specs especially if lowered on Nitrons... Thoughts?

Third, yep there's a third whose up for a group buy lol

Oh forget to mention... Sorry.

Unfortunately no link relating to that pic, found it on Instagram and contacted the guy who posted but he took the pic curb side in HK and has no details on the spec or owner I'm afraid.

www.alias23.com

I've been checking the 5x110 to 5x114.3 adapters.  The guys from SCC in Germany make them in aluminium-magnesium and only 15mm thick.

wg_230.png

Use this on the front axle in combo with 17x7.5 ET 40 and the wheel extends only +1mm compared to OEM.

Rear track stays identical if you get the 18x9.5 ET 35.

So should be no problem at all.

I'm pretty sure that the setup I mentioned before won't cause any problems at all: the Komotec wheels, provided they have the same offset as OEM, extend on the front and the rear with 6.5mm.  But they are super heavy!  A little more negative camber to be sure and you're good to go :thumbsup:.

Thanks Milton!

Anyone running adapters on track? At current rate I'm doing about 6-7 track days a year...

From what I've read using PCD adapters mean you need to re-torque the adapter every few track sessions on the day which would be a pain :/

Aggghhhhh

www.alias23.com

I've had 4-bolt (4x100) to 5-bolt (5x130-Porsche wheels) adapters a looooong time ago on an MKI Golf. Never went on track, but never had an issue. Can't see why you would need to re-torque them this often when on track? I'm not an expert though, so would like some insight on this.

• 5 months later...

9 and 13 kg ??? Are they casted with plumber inlays ?

We save weight with not using carpets and at the end of the day, we waste all this savings by using racing wheels ?

Sorry, hard to understand.

I actually put the true weights of the wheels onto the website.

These wheels are about the same as the Lotus standard offerings (very very slightly lighter but not much!!)

• 1 month later...

Just got the Rimstock forged wheels to try ..... appearance and weight look good, made in the UK.   :)

Verified --- Front: 15lbs (6.80kg); Rear: 20lbs (9.07kg)

Waiting for tires to arrive to give them a track test.   ;)

post-7947-0-70849900-1437490851.jpg

post-7947-0-26734500-1437490860.jpg

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR