Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
tyre sugestions? - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

tyre sugestions?

• 1 month later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hlas far is i understood theyre not, the options are cheap chinese tyres in the correct size or wrong rating, or decent tyres the wrong size in the correct rating?

Kenda do a 205 60 14 VR.

It is mentioned on pages 2 of this thread :-)

and is what Don is using on his car.

I have had some success finding decent quality tyres in now rare sizes by using the German and Italian websites for mytyres.   IIRC, late Excels share a tyre size with Ur-Quattros, so looking in Germany can be a good idea.  I am not sure what cars share tyres sizes with Eclats, Elites and early Excels.

• 2 years later...

I have bad experience with some Asian manufactures like Accelera. The detoriation makes them dangerous in wet conditions. They were mounted on my Jaguar XF. In roundabouts they would skid to the limit, where DSC interacts. You could only accelerate very modest.

Despite this, I have decided to purchase Kumho Ecsta HR51 205/60x14H for the Elite.

The Real Stig Lotus Turbo Esprit, Lotus Elise S1, Lotus Elite, Lancia Delta, Jaguar XF ....Previous cars: Subaru SVX, Porsche 924 Turbo, Lotus Eclat Excel, Lotus Elite, Matra Murena 2,2, Fiat X1/9 5sp

I didn't know you could get kumho ecsta in 205 60 14. (edit - just googled it and you can!)

Kumho Ecsta are excellent tyres and I used them for a long period of time (8+ years) on an alfa 155 sportpack.

I will buy a set next time.

(this is excellent news - although not the same as the ZR rated Ecsta's I used on my alfa, I'm sure they are probably better than anything else available in this size).

• 9 months later...

I can't find any tyre in 205 60 r14 of decent brand quality........looks like I'm going 195 65 r14.......unless someone can point me in the right direction

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

10 hours ago, theelanman said:

I can't find any tyre in 205 60 r14 of decent brand quality........looks like I'm going 195 65 r14.......unless someone can point me in the right direction

195's look poor in my opinion. 205's fit the rim and wheel arch and suits the car much better. There are a few options which would probably be equally good as the original 40 year old technology, but if brand is your thing then options will be limited.

http://www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/galaxy-tyres/205-60-14-formula-x.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really quite pleased with the tyre availability nowdays in 205/60/14 - it was looking quite bleak for a while with only Falken (which I dont really rate) as a "known" brand tyre.

Whilst it is not a direct comparison with a car tyre, I use Maxxis Ultra Sports on my Kawasaki Z1000 (a 130bhp naked sports bike) - big thumbs up from me. Now on my second set.

I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying more of their products. I wouldn't class Maxxis in the same bracket as some of the chinese brands that we see (powerhorse, roadstar etc). Maxxis are definately a cut above the cheaper end of the market.

Also - the Toyo Proxes in that link at £55 are probably a steal. I had Toyo Proxes (albeit expensive Z rated ones) on my Alfa sportpack, and I drove that car like I'd stolen it... It turned in like no front wheel drive car I've driven before or since, so definately gave its tyres a proper work out.