Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
call me crazy - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

call me crazy

I just had custom gfg cliff 20 inch concave wheels ordered for my esprit. 20's all around. I havnt seen anyone else try this. I'll be stretching tires. I don't drive it hard, just like big wheels. We test fitted 20s before ordering and they fit...barely. I'll post pics once there fitted. Tell me your thoughts so I can worry:) they cost 6k

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your crazy as requested.  And no I don't think its a good look  but then I prefer the factory look.

Edited by mdw

We tried right and left and had no rubbing. Not driving. 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear. We played with different offsets. I like original look too, just a little to 90's. Well see what happens. Maybe I'll prevent anyone else from making the same mistake. I think I'll love it though. I always get bashed by the purists.

I guess the tyres will be rather low profile, to retain the original rolling diameter. If they are approximately the same width then rubbing shouldn't be a big issue but it may be worth (and I know this sounds crazy)  removing the front springs, putting the car on full lock  and moving the wheel up and down through its travel , that should give you a good idea whether it will rub on extreme situations.

Looks wise, on an older car (S3 and before) I think it would look odd / out of keeping with the age of the car. Given it's a later car and the cars still looks quite modern even at the end of the run, big wheels with low tyres isn't that out of keeping as that's what other manufacturers are doing now, and the car can pass for fairly modern.

I am quite curious to see this...

I have 19" in front and 20" in rear...my excuse was I could store the factory wheels so it can always go back to original.

I have to say I like the look I got with my wheels...

Definitely post some pictures...

Jason

Jason, your car was insperation for the wheels I chose. I thought you had 20s all around until I read your profile. After I ordered. 20 was the smallest the wheels I chose came in. They are black lip with brushed bronze center. Bringing back the black and gold. Sort of. They should be here in a couple weeks. I will post to this thread with offsets and any issues. Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, all of you who have those really big wheels, could we see some Pictures of those nice wgeels?

ps: I went from standard SE15/16" Wheels, to 17/18" V8, and I think they are big... ;) Well, they are not big. So please show us some serious Wheels ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

No offence ment but won't that bugger your abs the wheels are 17 front 18s rear surly 20 s all round will screw the rolling radius ? Ps can some one in the know post pcd offset and hub diameter for v8 spec mono blocks as I hate my wheels but want to keep the original specs

My abs is disconnected and has a new Toyota booster. The wheel diameter will remain the same as we are stretching skinny tires on the rims. I also ordered new shocks and spring so I can adjust if needed. I think we went with +20 in front and +30 in the rear. I might be a little off on that.

I guess a good purpose would be appearance. I look at cars kinda like women. Also I'm going to put on the biggest brakes I can fit. Everyone likes things a little different. My escalade doesn't need 22" wheels for any performance reason, but Cadillac did it because it looks better. I want this car to make your jaw drop and filling the fenders, hence every supercar on the market today, needs to be done. She won't be raced with 20's, it will be for show. You will like it ;)

The car might look good with wider wheels but wont friction play a significant part in reducing performance. For every action there is a reaction but perhaps I miss the point.

CRAZY ! lol

About looks, it's very personnal but as too small wheels I don't like oversized wheels (as mentionned above the hotwheels style ;) )

The Esprit is a very natural low profile car (1m15) so it doesn't need big wheels to look nice.

But my main concern is more technical, I would be scared to have a very bumpy car, high SUV ride,... and a bad balance rear/front because you won't  get the 1" normal difference.

Last but not least, what about the speedometer ?

• 2 weeks later...

I think  you achieved what you wanted to. Its not for me but at least its  easy to change back if you want to. Its not like you have hacked the fibreglass about or something major like that.  I think I  would want parking sensors on the side of the car to avoid kerbing them!!!  They look a bit low rider and don't fill the arch enough.  How is the ride on them?  Not sure if its the angle of the pic but the fronts look better than the rears.

Edited by mdw

Yea, there is way to much space above the rears. I am putting adjustable suspension next week, so hopefully it will be better. The ride is good, but feels slower for sure. If I could find fender flares I would add them. I havnt driven it hard enough yet to check for rubbing, but so far so good.