Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Twenty years of hibernation - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Twenty years of hibernation

Okay I'm cheating as I'm posting this in the restoration room and it's not restored but as I'm not great at using spanners I thought I'd show what I can do - clean and polish

Car coming out after 20 years - the before

post-196-0-99642600-1391183742.jpg

Car after I've spent rather a lot of time cleaning the bodywork - the after.

post-196-0-15617800-1391183845.jpg

Judging by recent ebay results I would have been better off leaving the dust on her but I've enjoyed doing it.

Just need to get Gerald at GST to do all the real work and bring her back to life - hopefully in the Autumn.  

Edited by Bazza 907
  • Like 1

Great looking car Baz.

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Dave

I've not tried to start it. I know my limitations and would prefer to let Gerald at GST do all that and MOT it.

I will probably look to sell it once it's all sorted as I just don't get the time to drive the other cars and use them as I should.

It has been great fun bringing the bodywork back to near perfection. I've been really surprised how well the paintwork responds to, admittedly hours and hours of, cleaning and polishing. 

Of course having done the bodywork I then felt I had to get the wheels refurbished which are now like new. It's got a mint full black leather interior and no 1980's sunroof ! It is a really cracking car  :D

• Gold FFM

Bloody hell! That looks to be in great nick! :shock:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Wow! Awesome job!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'll update again once it is running.

Just need to start saving for what will be a fairly chunky bill to get it running after 25 years - I thought it was 20 but it was actually put away in that garage in 1989 when it was just 8 years old. 

• Gold FFM

Hey Barrie, It does look lovely - matter of interest, where did you get your wheels re-done? I have a set which I would like sorted. Henry

Henry

I used this company

BVJ aka Wheel Refurbishing

based in Flaunden Herts post ode HP3 0PQ. Tel 01442 834169

I had read mixed reviews beforehand so was a bit nervous but when I picked them up I was very pleased - good price too.

They did try to dissuade me from getting the wheels lacquered but it was the original finish that I wanted.

Awesome Barrie!

I am really looking forward to giving mine a really good polish, but am waiting until I get it running and MOT'd

I just love the thought that there are people who keep an Esprit locked away for 20 odd Years and then one day it is revealed !! Mine was hidden away in a lock up for 15 years...

Edited by robington

Barrie that looks fantastic, lets have more photos please, is there something wrong with the back of the car?!?! :harhar:

Get that thing up to Uncle G and get it running its a crime not to.

H

Barrie that looks fantastic, lets have more photos please, is there something wrong with the back of the car?!?! :harhar:

Get that thing up to Uncle G and get it running its a crime not to.

H

Nothing wrong with the back - only if I push it out I'd never be able to push it back in !!

post-196-0-03200300-1391548670.jpg

post-196-0-08189700-1391548689.jpg

Edited by Bazza 907